How Many Kits In Your Stash?

Not my quote - but modified to fit the situation; "most people buy models with the impression that they're buying the time to build them."

Not quite true in my case. Much of the pleasure I get from this hobby is the anticipation of building. Most of my stash is in a walk-in closet off my bedroom. When I go in there each morning, I steal a glance at a few kits and think of the fun of building them. Helps to start off the day with a smile.

313, plus maybe another 30 or so stored up in the attic. Mainly 1/72 and 1/48 scale aircraft.

I was trying to reduce my stash, until this year when the prices have been jumping up so I've been buying up old boxing of kits while there are still at a good price. Next year I will reduce my stash :whistle:

Edited by Tbolt
"Next year I will reduce my stash",,,,,,,,famous last words, bud

I wonder how many of us have said that over the years?

haha, thanks for the smile

Rex

Heck, I've "gotten out of the hobby for good" twice this year. Each time, I buy at least 5 more kits.

-Mike

I did a little sheet earlier this year. When I read some of the #'s here I thought "Oh sh&t", fearful I was getting close. I just counted and only came up w/ 70. Too many, but not as bad as I feared. Now that it's snowing, I think I can work it down to 55ish by march/april. That's when my 2 wheeled hobby comes out of hibernation ,that's usually when the skating rink they call an alley thaws.

"Next year I will reduce my stash",,,,,,,,famous last words, bud

I wonder how many of us have said that over the years?

haha, thanks for the smile

Rex

I say it every year! Last year I was good and my stash didn't grow, but it didn't shrink either. This year I'm at +23 :jaw-dropping:

a few years ago, I trimmed down to 150

"I'm only going to buy on topic kits"

yep, worked like a charm,,,,,,,except there are a heck of a lot of NavAir kits out there in 1/72

I'll trade them off

yep, traded an F-4 for a TBM and F4F, so that idea doesn't look like it'll work

only way I know to reduce the stash is to build the danged things

I was soooo proud of my 24 build year,,,,,but, I bought 3 more than I built that year

oh, well, off to the buy and sell forum to see what bargains there are

Hmm.... I don't really want to count it, but I'd say it's somewhere between 150 and 200.

Here's my armour and aircraft stash about half 1/35 armour, the rest mostly 1/48 aircraft

DSCN0574.jpg

And here are the 1/32 aircraft kits that I keep separate..

DSCN0575.jpg

I'm only up to 145, which is enough to see me through to about 127 years old given current forecasts. But the kids won't be young forever, and I'll eventually get to retire....

It would be interesting to conduct a poll (too late probably now) to get an idea of how the collections bucket out.

I counted 60 tonight.

Many of these are kits I bought at what today are quite low prices - closeouts, going out of business, etc. I tend to double (or triple) down on the old Monogram/Revell Century series fighters when I see them as I know their production is cyclical - at best.

I only have my eye seriously set on building 25 or these or so at present. 4 grandsons have indicated interest in the hobby and thank God I won't be spending $50 - 75 to buy them kits should they take up the hobby.

Will finish 6 kits this year so it seems I'm set for at least another few years of only buying paint, glue, etc.!

I think I'm over 800 now. That's after being back in the hobby for less than five years. Mostly 1/48 WWII props, but some armor (both 1/35 and 1/72) and a number of 1/72 and 1/32 props. I've only got a couple of jets (MiG-15 and F-86). I've got a few figures as well, both 1/35th and Moebius / Playing Mantis types. Perhaps a few dozen cars. One or two dinosaurs. No ships.

I've thought of getting rid of some, but I do have the room (barely), so I'll probably keep them all for a while.

I don't have much aftermarket except for decals, of which I've got over 500 (I think). The decals are the only part of my stash I have cataloged, and that's just in a text file. I catalog them so I don't buy duplicates.

Well, I counted last night, and I'm around 825. I can't give an exact number, as some are in boxes and I was too lazy to take them out to count.

About 150 kits of Soviet aircrafts and another 40 of IADF subjects, plus some 20-something boxes of odd stuff that caught my fancy.

I was keeping a healthy "10 new kits a year" pace when 2009 kicked around and it seemed everybody and their dog were selling their stash. That, and I stumbled upon an eBay seller close to home (I can drive to pick up my wins) and with a bidder-friendly policy. I've bought stuff that I had been chasing for ages, at a third of the price I was prepared to pay.

• 5 months later...

Excluding decals & accessories, the tally stood at 1283 :blush:

Probably about time I see a therapist to counter the influence of Lord Buyalot, but I suspect it's to counter for a "deprived" childhood

msgtmp.th.jpg

Edited by bartkoh

I'm probably sitting at ~50 kits of various ilk. Unlike others though I only have a few duplicates. But even those duplicates are only 2 of each kit. I don't have 12 boxes of the same kit like I see others having. Unfortuantely, my duplicates tend to be big boxes (the 1:350 Round 2 USS Enterprise (starship) kit is a massive freaking box! and I have three of them). I have a few kits that I know I'll never build mostly because they're long out of production and I'd never get another one (which indeed..strikes me as rather strange that I'd buy a kit and never build it because I couldn't do another).

I often look at the boxes of kits I have and think...gee.. that money could be sitting in a retirement fund...

I inventoried my unassembled/partially assembled kits last year and now have a spreadsheet. I have:

336 1/72 kits

72 1/48 kits

13 1/32 kits

Grand total 421

Edited by fasteagle12

95 including the 5 I added today.

8 @ 1/32

5 eggplanes

2 @ 1/72

couple of modern tanks and 1 truck, the rest mostly modern 1/48 with a few props.

Don

At the moment I'm looking at about the 500 mark. All scales and types of aircraft.

IMAG1238.jpg

IMAG1237.jpg

IMAG1236.jpg

IMAG1235.jpg

They'll all get built. Honest!

Denzil