Hobbyboss 1.48 F-14A

Hmmmmm.....some nice details like the nose radar,some avionic panels open,refueling probe and the engine.But...it´s the same as the Hasegawa´s one,so I presume that the troubles will remain in the same critical places.What I don´t understand is why the engine ports are in closed possition,it´d be nice to put the engine visible with both ports open.

A bittersweet sensation.... :pray:

I.Martin

What I don´t understand is why the engine ports are in closed possition,it´d be nice to put the engine visible with both ports open.

A bittersweet sensation.... :monkeydance:

Huh? There's a whole sprue containing the TF30 afterburner nozzles - in both the open and closed positions.

J

Hum, looks like top of the rudders are late version ones (F-14D) so not suitable for VF-32/VF-41 F-14A blocks 95 and before ??

Despite it seems to be much more detailed than "old" hasegawa's cat (stabilizer, wings for instance) including weapons and both early and late sideminder rails.

Stephane.

Huh? There's a whole sprue containing the TF30 afterburner nozzles - in both the open and closed positions.

J

Hello Jennings,I didn´t explain myself properly.I´m talking about the engine access doors,and as a picture tells more thanthousand words,take a look here

f14engine2.jpg

I can see an inaccuracy that shows next versions will be released in a future,the reinforcered plate in the RIO´s step access was not used in the A´s.

I.Martin

Well, it looks nice to me on the sprues. However, the VF-32 jet they chose for the decals is not correct for the variant of the plastic in the kit. The Black Aces jet should be fine though as they equipped a bit later. Jet #159008 was a block 70 jet with the original beaver tail on it and the seven hole gun gas vent (which went to two grill mid-way through Block 85). This kit has the standard tail region that started to appear mid-production on the block 75 machines. I don't see a shot of the gun vent on the sprues, so I can't tell there. But I am pretty sure it will likely be the two grill vent since only Hasegawa ever got that detail down. Granted this configuration should build the majority of F-14As out there, but we may likely have to see if Darren's wide beavertail and seven hole gas vent pieces can be incorporated into this model if we want to do an early cat from it. So in one regard, Hasegawa's early style F-14A still has the edge in its capability of being built as a Block 70 or earlier jet out of the box. I know it will be a concern with me if I plan to do one of the 1988 Gulf of Sidra Swordsman jets (which had the seven hole gun vent, yet the later style beavertail). You'll also have to sand the reinforcement plates off the tail if you want to do a jet from pre-1980-81 (or Iranian Tomcats which never had those plates)

I will likely get one of these, but that is about all my budget will allow. From what I see, marking flubs aside, it should be a reasonably good investment and if it is easier to build then a Hasegawa kit, I consider that a win for me.

A sad rivet festival... As a better (in my point of view) and cheaper one, I still preffer the Hasegawa kit due this, but I may buy one later, if the price decrease.

Edited by FCM
A sad rivet festival... As a better (in my point of view) and cheaper one, I still preffer the Hasegawa kit due this, but I may buy one later, if the price decrease.

I know everyone says rivits but they are mostly screw fasteners, not rivits, that they are trying to replicate. If you look at the real F14, it has them all over it. Once the model has paint, it will look fine.

Steve

Edited by Steve jahn
I know everyone says rivits but they are mostly screw fasteners, not rivits, that they are trying to replicate. If you look at the real F14, it has them all over it. Once the model has paint, it will look fine.

Steve

until you run a panel wash over it and it highlights every single "screw fastener"

Another detail that another Tomcat fan friend have realized of,where are the air intake parts???,they´re big enough to be seen,unless they´re integrated inside the intake part.

I.Martin

Unless I am sadly mistaken aren't the intakes located on the same sprue as the forward fuselage halves? Those parts look suspiciously like intakes to me and there are two (4 halves) of them.

Not even. The wings are covered with them, as are most other parts of the airframe that aren't covered with screw holes on the real F-14.

I just don't see this as a major improvement over the Hasegawa kit.

J

Nice of Hobby Boss to include the LANTRIN pod, pylon adapter (the site even highlighted it), bomb racks, and BOL AIM-9 rails on an early F-14A kit. I'm guessing they are included because the AIM-54 pallets are on the same sprues. I'm just glad they didn't throw in the AIM-120's (which don't belong to any Tomcat) from the F-14D kit as well.

What's the MSRP on the kit suppsed to be??

Edited by muswp1

Looks to be a nice kit. I am thinking that it is screaming for a cockpit replacement though. Those details look to be sized upwards from a 1/72 series.

Depending on cost I will probably stick with the second hand or sale Hasegawa kits. But I could be convinced (not at $100 +/- $20 though). Anyone know the price range on it?

What's the MSRP on the kit suppsed to be??

Lucky Model has the 1 48 F-14A in stock at a street price of $59.99, so I am guessing that the U.S. MSRP is going to be around $115-120 and a street price at U.S. etailers at around $100 give or take.

Edited by madmanrick