Rob Neil gave me his permission to post some of his exceptional Huey II photos directly so I picked some of the best ones I could find. Hope you guys like these and thank Rob for being such a nice guy and sharing his images.

Ray

I've been in contact before with Rob (one of the reasons I linked to his article in the thread about UH-1s in the 'Drug War') and he's most definitely a stand up guy.

Those are some great photos of the Huey II thanks for sharing! I was wondering what that plate is under the base of the tail boom/fuselage joint? Is it some sort of doppler system or a cooler of some sort? I hope someone makes decals for these DOS (Dept of State) Hueys they are very cool. Long live the Huey! Thanks, Everett

Those are some great photos of the Huey II thanks for sharing! I was wondering what that plate is under the base of the tail boom/fuselage joint? Is it some sort of doppler system or a cooler of some sort? I hope someone makes decals for these DOS (Dept of State) Hueys they are very cool. Long live the Huey! Thanks, Everett

Everett,

That is the oil cooler heat shield and you can get them in PE from Joseph at Fireball Modelworks. The heat shield is part of the ASE (Aircraft Survivability Equipment) upgrade that was put on most US Army Hueys before they were retired. You can see the other components in the Fireball set.

Ray

A026.jpg

That is the coolest Huey out there. Mini-guns, all the latest ASE gear, and a really nice paint job. Just a bad-a** looking helo. I'm really starting to get the urge to build another one. It's a toss-up between this one, a Vietnam slick and and an El Salvadorian bird, circa mid '80's. I just dread going back to that awful Dragon kit.

Those are cool Huey II photos, thanks Ray, and Rob too; wish someday our Hueys could look like that...

Very interesting that those hueys have a lot of antennas and counter measure systems, could someone identify all the antennas en dopplers those Hueys have?? i could only identify some VHF, UHF antennas and the GPS antenna mounted in the upper cutter cable, but the missile warning sensors, they look very modern , are those the same APR-39 mod or others??? cool hueys , omg, beautiful machine...

Rod.

Edited by salvador001

Rob,

I think the APR 39 blisters are the same as the US Army ones.

Ryan,

I think the reason that small window looks green is because of the angle of the light coming through the greenhouse window. I could always be wrong though.

John,

You should go for it. I still think the 1/48 Italeri kit looks much more to scale but i know you guys all like the BIG BIRDS.

Brandon and Joe,

I sent Rob the link to the thread so he can see your comments. I totally agree he's a great photographer and a stand up guy. In fact he sent me some new shots so sit back and drool over these!

Ray

RMN6826.jpg

_RMN85852.jpg

_RMN86672.jpg

_RMN02562.jpg

RMN6192.jpg

_RMN86512.jpg

_RMN01032.jpg

RMN6196.jpg

RMN6263.jpg

RMN6262.jpg

Those are cool Huey II photos, thanks Ray, and Rob too; wish someday our Hueys could look like that...

Very interesting that those hueys have a lot of antennas and counter measure systems, could someone identify all the antennas en dopplers those Hueys have?? i could only identify some VHF, UHF antennas and the GPS antenna mounted in the upper cutter cable, but the missile warning sensors, they look very modern , are those the same APR-39 mod or others??? cool hueys , omg, beautiful machine...

Rod.

I believe that the missile warning sensors are the AAR-47. They automatically deploy flares when they detect a missile launch. Not sure what that square white antenna is on the roof. Maybe something like blue force tracker?

Tank - I think you are seeing some green tinted sunshine from the overhead windows illuminating some of the fuselage interior, it doesn't look like any of the other pics show the side windows to be tinted.

I believe that the missile warning sensors are the AAR-47. They automatically deploy flares when they detect a missile launch. Not sure what that square white antenna is on the roof. Maybe something like blue force tracker?

Really neat to see they used the old sensor locations to put the new plume detectors in. Makes sense since they are more likely to see Manpads than other types or missles.

I don't remember what the three white antennas are, but have seen them somewhere else.

Tank - I think you are seeing some green tinted sunshine from the overhead windows illuminating some of the fuselage interior, it doesn't look like any of the other pics show the side windows to be tinted.

John,

Looks like you are right about the AAR-47's. here's another of Rob Neil's pics that shows the flares.

Ray

AF017.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Huh. Interesting looking AH-1...

Any chance of you having an AH-1G trainer with the left handed tail rotor?

Take care,

Austin

I thought that I was going crazy just before I read your question, because I saw a Cobra that Ray posted with the flat plate canopy AND a left handed T/R. But then I realized that Ray had scanned/posted it the wrong way. I was just disappointed, but DON'T get me wrong! I love love love what Ray posts here, but, I got a laugh out of what I thought was going to be a, "OMG Ray didn't realize there was a left handed T/R with a flat plate canopy....etc....". I then looked at the number on the tail and realized it was backwards. BUT, it is cool to see the T/R gearbox cover not on in flight. I freaking love that series of pics either way.

Oh, Ray, that AH-1T prototype pic is the bomb! I hope you take no offense to what I posted above. I meant to make fun of my own knee-jerk reaction to what my brain saw but didn't process. Please please please keep posting these wonder pics.

Brandon

I thought that I was going crazy just before I read your question, because I saw a Cobra that Ray posted with the flat plate canopy AND a left handed T/R. But then I realized that Ray had scanned/posted it the wrong way. I was just disappointed, but DON'T get me wrong! I love love love what Ray posts here, but, I got a laugh out of what I thought was going to be a, "OMG Ray didn't realize there was a left handed T/R with a flat plate canopy....etc....". I then looked at the number on the tail and realized it was backwards. BUT, it is cool to see the T/R gearbox cover not on in flight. I freaking love that series of pics either way.

Oh, Ray, that AH-1T prototype pic is the bomb! I hope you take no offense to what I posted above. I meant to make fun of my own knee-jerk reaction to what my brain saw but didn't process. Please please please keep posting these wonder pics.

Brandon

Brandon,

No offense taken. I do stuff like that all the time. i fixed the pic so it's correct now. Thanks for catching that.

Austin,

Sorry, all the pics I can find of G models with the high vis scheme are right handed TR. However, Bearcat 15 was used extensively at Ft Rucker as a test bird and possibly as a trainer and you can see she has the left handed TR. You looking to build something with the Monogram kit?

Ray

AH-10006_1280x861.jpg

Ding ding ding, I am. I don't have a trainer build and I thought the AH-1G would look pretty cool, as I have CC's 540 rotor and an extra toilet bowl from fireball for the matchbox kit...

Austin,

I'm pretty sure the Matchbox kit has a right handed Tail rotor and the Monogram kit has a left handed tail rotor. So you should be GTG with the ones I posted.

Ray