Well, earlier tonight I cleaned off one of my benches from two previous projects and pulled out the Hawkeye. This will be my first build for the contest...hopefully I make it through many more, but we will see. I will be modeling the VAW-120 Greyhawks 50th Anniversary bird in 1/48 scale.

Picture here: http://www.airfighters.com/photo/59921/M/U...Hawkeye/166503/

Hopefully someone comes out with a decal set for this aircraft in 1/48 before too long...otherwise I'll be masking and painting!

Anyway, just for starters here is some of today's progress. I'll start with the mandatory picture of the kit and aftermarket items.

101_3818.jpg

The only progress I got finished tonight was removing the molded details in order to prepare for the eduard PE. For the interior I decided to try the self adhesive PE for the first time. I've always been a bit leery about using this as opposed to just gluing the pieces in place, but there is a first time for everything!

101_3819.jpg

101_3820.jpg

101_3822.jpg

101_3824.jpg

101_3825.jpg

Thanks for looking!

SLICK

Edited by slick95
  • 2 weeks later...

SLICK

This is going to be a great build as ever..Your previous builds have been

fantastic and I am looking forward to seeing what you do with this Hawkeye..

Always good threads to follow.

Good start.

BEST WISHES and HAPPY HOLIDAYS{and MERRY CHROISTMAS}

HOLMES :woot.gif:

Edited by HOLMES

Thanks a lot for the complements! I've been pretty busy finishing up school for the semester, but I've made a lot of little progress in preparation for the painting of the interior and wheels wells.

I've been doing a lot of filling of injection marks and removing kit detail in order to add the PE parts. Most of the work has been on the nacelles.

101_3831.jpg

101_3833.jpg

101_3839.jpg

101_3836.jpg

101_3837.jpg

The fit of the front of the nacelles was fairly bad. The parts were too wide and there were large gaps that needed substantial filling.

101_3841.jpg

Because of the lack of rear interior in the kit I decided to add the cabin door in the closed position.

101_3835.jpg

Thanks for watching!

SLICK

• 3 weeks later...

Progress has been slow, but it is coming along. Hopefully it'll speed up a bit once I finish my Storch.

Since the last update I did quite a bit of filling and sanding on the front of each nacelle. I will have to replace some of the raised fastener detail with the Archer resin fasteners. I have also sprayed the interior and finished assembling the PE cockpit. Next will be some minor interior work and nose weight before the fuselage halves come together.

101_3867.jpg

101_3868.jpg

I apologize for the low quality of these pictures. The lighting was fairly bad.

101_3874.jpg

101_3881.jpg

SLICK

I had thought about buying the extra resin seats, but there were a few factors that kept me from doing so. I plan on building the plane all closed up, so it would be difficult to see the detail anyway, and I already had the Eduard set. Also, I had already spent a lot of money in aftermarket for the Kinetic Prowler...which is next by the way!

SLICK

A bit more progress lately. Things will speed up a little more once I finish the Tamiya Storch.

101_3944.jpg

Plenty of nose weight has been added, and the fuselage halves glued together. This was quite the operation. I'm not sure if this is a common problem with this kit, but my fuselage halves were a bit warped (twisted), and made the job of joining the halves a bit more difficult than I had thought it would have been.

101_3922.jpg

I also decided to tint the side windows. While it's not exactly a gold color (more orange) I think it looks good enough for the job.

101_3932.jpg

101_3937.jpg

SLICK

Well, I got a lot done today. It doesn't look like too much, but the progress I made was on parts that I was not very motivated to work on. But, I decided to knuckle down and get it done. Anyway, today's progress.

I started by assembling the PE light system and radar.

101_4047.jpg

After removing the molded detail, I added a styrene sheet to cover the hole. Then I attached the assembly.

101_4049.jpg

I also finished work on the remaining details in the gear wells in order to prepare to paint the areas white.

101_4050.jpg

Earlier on in the build I had to do quite a bit of filling and sanding to get rid of some nasty misaligned areas. Because of this I lost some of the raised detail as well as some engraved panel lines. I re-scribed the lost panel lines and used the archer resin decals to add the lost fasteners.

101_4052.jpg

101_4053.jpg

Tonight I was able to paint the white areas on the model. Now that all of this progress is finished I can finally move on with the build. It will start to look more like a Hawkeye soon!

101_4054.jpg

I painted on some details. This was touched up after the photo was taken.

101_4055.jpg

Thanks for looking!

SLICK

Thanks a lot!

Because of how difficult the putty is to find anymore, I order it in bulk on ebay. I've found ebay is very useful for small things like that, which are hard to find (Mr. Surfacer, Tamiya Putty, etc.). Currently I have two tubes of putty I'm using and two that haven't been opened.

SLICK

Been researching the aircraft some more myself. One note about the props - the tips are not the usual white and red stripes. They appear to be a pale, even luminescent greeny yellow.

Now you've got me thinking it's time I got some shots of my progress up.

Nice work so far.

What I really need is a decent shot of the lower tail fin showing the badges so I can get my decal artwork finished.

Just for correctness, it's an electronic support measures antenna...there's no radar in the nose of the E-2.

Thanks for the info!

What I really need is a decent shot of the lower tail fin showing the badges so I can get my decal artwork finished

Are you making decals for this aircraft?

SLICK

I'm doing a set on the ALPS (if I can find a decent shot of the lower tail) for my 1/72 build elsewhere in this GB, but it will only be the modex numbers, tail badge, nose badge and any unique stencilling. The black, grey and white areas and large hawk's head on top of the radome will all be masked and painted.

Have that one. Need something larger and clearer. And looking at that pic, I now also need all the crew names for under the cockpit, on the nosegear doors and besides to ECMO windows on the fuselage :)

And I note I will need to add the Bu No and VAW-120 titles to the decals too. Guessing you are going to want a set for your model when I'm done... ;)

Perhaps someone will come out with some screen printed ones in the interim.

Guessing you are going to want a set for your model when I'm done... wink.gif

That would be AWESOME! :thumbsup:

I wasn't worried about painting the stripes or even the hawk on the dish, but the idea of painting the Greyhawks tail flash, etc... It's a scary thought!

SLICK