Tamiya 1/48 P-47 Kits

I am interested to know what types of bolts can be made with each kit.

- P-47D Razorback, I would assume an Razorback can be made from this kit.

- P-47D Bubbletop, can only make D-25 to D-28?

- P-47M, can make D-30/40 and a M?

One question I do have that has bothered me a bit is why does Tamiya have the spoked wheels in their kits but they are indicated as parts not used in every single kit. Which P-47's used spoked wheels?

Edited by Spitfire88

The Razorback kit can be built as any D, from the -15 to the last razorback, With aftermarket cooling gills, it can be done as a C or early D that's been fitted with the bulged keel. In order to build a flat floored D-28 through -M, you need the -M kit, which IIRC even includes both types of engine gear housings. Hal Sr

Edited by Hal Marshman Sr
One question I do have that has bothered me a bit is why does Tamiya have the spoked wheels in their kits but they are indicated as parts not used in every single kit. Which P-47's used spoked wheels?

To build a Razorback D-20 to D-25 you will need to get hold of some 'Turtleback' mags for the engine - If you build the P-47M kit as an M you can use the spares from this kit.

The uncovered (spoked) wheels are used in the P-47M kit. There is no rule to which versions had the covers fitted, just check your references. I suspect that all P-47's were supplied with covers (possible not the N) it's just that some were removed.

Tamiya do supply some parts in the kit that are not used with there markings such as the DF aerial and mount for the Razorback, but it is handy if your using AM decals.

The P-47M kit is actually cheaper at HLJ than the P-47D Bubbletop kit, yet the P-47M kit has everything the other kit has and the extra M parts, so you can build any Bubbletop D and M from this kit at a cheaper price - for some strange reason HLJ seem to sell out of the P-47M kit a lot quicker!

Edited by Tbolt