It's on.........

on like DONKEY KONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll be doing a 1/48 Hasegawa CF-104 in shiney (ish) finish. Can't wait to crack the seal!!

Tilt

Tilt

Too late for you to back out now, buddy! It's official - now show us the progress... :-)

ALF

yeah, come on you p...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) !!!!!

HAHAHA!! I should've known you still haven't forgotten about that one. I should try to find that video again and post it. :taunt:

And yeah Alf, it's posted on the interwebs......I'm on the hook now. I'm actually going to have a decent amount of time to build in the next little bit. Photos will be coming very soon.

Hey Tilt...To be different you should do one of the Cold Lake Natural Metal bodies that had a European camo replacement wing so one wing white, one camo...that would be great but if you have your own plans just ignore me ....

Cheers

Bruce

Hey Tilt...To be different you should do one of the Cold Lake Natural Metal bodies that had a European camo replacement wing so one wing white, one camo...that would be great but if you have your own plans just ignore me ....

Cheers

Bruce

Oooo, That would be cool!

Bruce,

That does sound pretty intriguing, but I'm afraid I've sort of got a plan in place. I do appreciate the suggestion though. :cheers:

One aspect of my plan is to craft this model without the use of my airbrush. I want to use a few of my brush-buffing/burnishing techniques on this project. I'm not sure if it's laziness, or the fact that I'm set up in a remote spot (away from my normal model building area). We'll see how that works out.

The only aftermarket will be some decals (and a possible weapons set). Otherwise this will be pretty well OOB.

Hopefully have some photos to share tomorrow.

Remember that on opening the kit there will be only one vertical stab - don't e-mail Hasegawa to ask for a replacement for the "missing" second stab.

:thumbsup:

Sean

Funny, you're much younger than my father - but you kinda sound like him.

When talking about the F-4: "too many engines, too many people, and really ugly"

When talking about the F-18: "too many engines, too many tails"

How many former CF-104 pilots does it take to change a lightbulb?

Anywhere from 3 to 99.

One to do the job. The rest stand around and talk about how good the old one was... :)

ALF

Bruce,

That does sound pretty intriguing, but I'm afraid I've sort of got a plan in place. I do appreciate the suggestion though. :thumbsup:

One aspect of my plan is to craft this model without the use of my airbrush. I want to use a few of my brush-buffing/burnishing techniques on this project. I'm not sure if it's laziness, or the fact that I'm set up in a remote spot (away from my normal model building area). We'll see how that works out.

The only aftermarket will be some decals (and a possible weapons set). Otherwise this will be pretty well OOB.

Hopefully have some photos to share tomorrow.

Tilt

That will be a challenge, not using an airbrush for the white wings. The grey underneath won't show much, so not as critical. But painting white by hand is hard to do well.

When I've built natural metal CF-104s, I've sprayed the wings before attaching them to the fuselage (no masking required) on the 1/48 kit. I use rattle cans of Tamiya white primer on the top sides, and Tamiya light grey primer on the bottoms. I do the spraying outside, then bring the parts inside to dry. I also spray the radome light grey with the same primer rattle can before applying the metal foil.

Using this method, I've been able to avoid using the airbrush at all, and the hardest part is doing the black anti-glare panel on the nose - the demarcation line between the grey (rattle can sprayed) radome and the black top panel is hard to get straight using a brush. The foil is its own masking as it's applied over the grey behind the radome and the black under the canopy aft of the radome, as well as the black around the intakes and the tan coloured fibreglass panels (behind canopy on spine, on ventral fin). Oh, and I also use the grey rattle can to spray the vertical tail grey panels in the lower front areas.

Looking forward to seeing the techniques you use.

ALF

Remember that on opening the kit there will be only one vertical stab - don't e-mail Hasegawa to ask for a replacement for the "missing" second stab.

:whistle:

Well shoot!! Mr. Hasegawa will not be pleased with the scathing email I sent him!! I bet he won't like the part where I asked about the missing false canopy decals too eh?

:woo:

Tilt

That will be a challenge, not using an airbrush for the white wings. The grey underneath won't show much, so not as critical. But painting white by hand is hard to do well.

When I've built natural metal CF-104s, I've sprayed the wings before attaching them to the fuselage (no masking required) on the 1/48 kit. I use rattle cans of Tamiya white primer on the top sides, and Tamiya light grey primer on the bottoms. I do the spraying outside, then bring the parts inside to dry. I also spray the radome light grey with the same primer rattle can before applying the metal foil.

Using this method, I've been able to avoid using the airbrush at all, and the hardest part is doing the black anti-glare panel on the nose - the demarcation line between the grey (rattle can sprayed) radome and the black top panel is hard to get straight using a brush. The foil is its own masking as it's applied over the grey behind the radome and the black under the canopy aft of the radome, as well as the black around the intakes and the tan coloured fibreglass panels (behind canopy on spine, on ventral fin). Oh, and I also use the grey rattle can to spray the vertical tail grey panels in the lower front areas.

Looking forward to seeing the techniques you use.

ALF

And this is why you're a good person to have around Alf!! I totally didn't take a lot of that into consideration. Joking aside, I do think the fact that I've mostly built Hornet models has impaired me to a degree (Bratton's gonna slaughter me on the "impaired" comment!!). I need to look at the whole picture with this 104. Thanks for the nudge.

My new (ish) model space is out in my detached (heated) garage. Normally I wouldn't care about creating a bunch of fumes and such out there, but my office is out there too. So I can likely get away with a bit of airbrushing or rattle can spray, but I don't want to go hard core. I built a decent spray booth late last year, but it's in my old (crappy) spot. And moving it out to the garage isn't a simple task. Making the vent hole in the wall would be a larger job, let alone defining a permanent spot for the booth. My garage serves many functions - Office, fitness gym, workshop, storage, and now model space. The last time a vehicle was ever in there was years ago.

I will need to come up with something temporary to allow for spraying on this model (a bit), so thanks for bring that to my attention.

Hopefully get some photos up tonight!!

Tilt

p.s. Keep those 'old fighter pilot jokes' coming. They're a riot!!

Edited by Tilt

Charlie...Will try to dig up info for you as it is here somewhere...They were Cold Lake birds in typical Cold Lake Nat. Metal scheme except they had replacement wings from birds that served in Europe, one with a camo wing and one with a solid green I believe...give me some time....

Cheers

Bruce

Tilt: I was out at the Langley Museum of Flight today having a look at the interior finish of 104654, a Dual, and it appears to be "close" to FS36375 although this only counts in handgrenade fights where rivet counters are concerned.

My 104 will have a True Details cockpit and Bill Burns decals but a shiny finish...

Barney

Yeah Barney,

I'm looking through a lot of photos lately, and I'm typically seeing zero pattern - as per usual. Colors are all over the map. I've got some paint done today (photos below), and it's coming out "ok" so far. I'm just going to keep this jet simple with the kit parts. I think once I learn a bit more about the 104, I'll want to do one with some aftermarket goodies.

As promised, here's some progress. Not so great lighting for the shots. I'll need to work on that.

Here's the new model building space (for now)...

DSC00386.jpg

Cockpit and some random gear sections...

DSC00395.jpg

Exhaust can...

DSC00396.jpg

Misc parts...

DSC00403.jpg

Close up of one landing gear with the base finish on...

DSC00405.jpg

Hope to get more progress this coming weekend.

Sorry, Im still fixated on the 104 with the mis-matched wing. does anyone know what tail number it was and from what squadron? Pictures?

Its 104806, I built it some time ago in 1/32.

Tilt...With the Fridge beside the bench I see you have the "refreshment" aspect of the group build covered.... :woot.gif:

Cheers

Bruce

And I only wish the fridge was still operational. <_<

Dang thing stopped keeping its cool a couple years ago, and I've never gotten around to getting it fixed. I picked that up from a friend when he got a Europe tour. He's been back for a few years now, and often asks if he can buy it back. He hasn't hit the right price yet. :coolio:

But I should get it working again. Then we can keep the GB refreshments cold!!

Thanks Shawn, would you have any pictures, either the model or the actual aircraft?

I looked this morning. I did not, so I'll have to take some photos of the model for you This weekend.

A little more progress over the weekend. I have the major pieces set up and ready for paint. This is a great kit and I'm looking forward to getting another one someday.

Some of the parts awaiting paint...

DSC00410.jpg

The main fuselage goes together, and the jet takes shape quickly...

DSC00413.jpg

Some of the underside detail. Plus a simple start on some of the finish...

DSC00416.jpg

More to come. Thanks for looking.