Hey Tilt,

Nice progress on this build. I have to go through my stash and get a couple builds going for this group build.

Just a bit of information for you on your lowered TE flaps. It looks like you have the trailing edge flaps set at the 15 deg takeoff setting while the leading edge flaps are up. This is not a setting available on the CF-104, or any other F-104. With the TE flaps set at Takeoff, the LE flaps are also set at 15 deg down. Hope this info helps with your build.

Ciao,

John

Well dang. They are no longer moveable at this stage.

I spent about an hour surfing around the interwebs looking at CF-104 photos to get an idea of the flap settings when parked. The only pattern I noticed was that there was no pattern. I saw examples of just about every position when parked. So I decided to place them in an "interesting" position, and call it a day.

Oh well. But thanks for the heads up. I'll catch that on my next one.

Well dang. They are no longer moveable at this stage.

I spent about an hour surfing around the interwebs looking at CF-104 photos to get an idea of the flap settings when parked. The only pattern I noticed was that there was no pattern. I saw examples of just about every position when parked. So I decided to place them in an "interesting" position, and call it a day.

Oh well. But thanks for the heads up. I'll catch that on my next one.

As a consolation you could say that the circuit breakers for the LE flap motors were pulled for maintenance and that's why only the TE flaps are down. <_<

Cheers,

John

Sorry, Im still fixated on the 104 with the mis-matched wing. does anyone know what tail number it was and from what squadron? Pictures?

Here is a dust covered model of what you are looking for. 1/32 Hasegawa with Leading Edge decals.

DSC_0284-2.jpg

As a consolation you could say that the circuit breakers for the LE flap motors were pulled for maintenance and that's why only the TE flaps are down. :whistle:

Cheers,

John

Yeah, we'll go with that. But I gotta say, it's hard to find on-line photos of the wing of a "in service" CF-104 in the parked position. Any that do exist hard to make out flap placement - or at least the photos I came across were. I found several of 'gate-guards' or flying 104, but you can't base it off that. Oh well. Only 104 experts will notice, and I have very few of those come by my office.

And thanks Sean. This kit is a dream, and it's only going to spoil me for the next non-tamiyagawa kit. I hope to have more progress soon.

Yeah, we'll go with that. But I gotta say, it's hard to find on-line photos of the wing of a "in service" CF-104 in the parked position. Any that do exist hard to make out flap placement - or at least the photos I came across were. I found several of 'gate-guards' or flying 104, but you can't base it off that. Oh well. Only 104 experts will notice, and I have very few of those come by my office.

And thanks Sean. This kit is a dream, and it's only going to spoil me for the next non-tamiyagawa kit. I hope to have more progress soon.

Tilt

The CF-104s I saw parked were almost all with flaps fully up. I think they did it to facilitate loading external stores and access underneath. Those sharp leading edges were very dangerous, and I can only imagine with flaps down they would have been very hazardous.

I rarely saw them parked with flaps down. Too bad my dad's not around anymore; I could have asked him why...

ALF

Alf,

Tilt and I have been PM'ing back and forth about it and the ex-104 rigger in the family (a.k.a. "Dad") confirmed that it was indeed SOP to park them with flaps up. One of the reasons was clearance as you mentioned but it also gave them a common configuration on start up. Otherwise - and I quote - "The pilots often got confused...." :rolleyes:

Tilt - package went into the mail today, hopefully you'll see it by the end of the week.

Cheers,

Sean

Alf,

Tilt and I have been PM'ing back and forth about it and the ex-104 rigger in the family (a.k.a. "Dad") confirmed that it was indeed SOP to park them with flaps up. One of the reasons was clearance as you mentioned but it also gave them a common configuration on start up. Otherwise - and I quote - "The pilots often got confused...." :jaw-dropping:

Tilt - package went into the mail today, hopefully you'll see it by the end of the week.

Cheers,

Sean

Sean

Thanks for the confirmation, and the explanation.

Tell your expert (dad) that he's perfectly right about pilots. Pilots don't make mistakes - they get confused. They don't get lost - they're just temporarily unsure of their position, or looking for an alternative route.

And above all, they don't drink. And if they do drink, they don't get drunk. If they get drunk, they don't fall down. And if they do fall down, they have the presence of mind to fall face down so nobody can see their wings...

ALF

I would hesitate to use the term "expert", although I'm sure he would get a kick out of it.

And if they do fall down, they have the presence of mind to fall face down so nobody can see their wings...

Or better yet to steal someone else's flying jacket to wear so when you take down a name, it's the wrong one. They're wily if nothing else.

Cheers,

Sean

You all just crack me up!!!!

Tilt Keep those updates coming I'm having a hoot watching this all.

CF-104 is one of my fav Canadian fighters right after the CF-101 and right before the CF-188.

After a small delay (work, hockey, and waiting for references) the 104 is back on track. Thanks again to Sean for the decals and the reference CD.

I got some more of the base metal finish on the jet. There'll be a little more detail work, and touch-ups at the decal stage. But it's begining to come together.

Here's a look at some of the metal finish...

DSC00442.jpg

DSC00444.jpg

I broke out the air-brush and painted the wings and tail today as well. I even got a start on some light weathering on the wings. White is a tricky color to weather...

DSC00448.jpg

My camera and lighting are not the best, so the photos don't really capture the look I see with my eyes. Oh well, you get the idea at least. When it's all done I'll take some photos outside (if we get a nicer day), and hopefully it'll translate a bit better.

What did you use ?

I use Model Master Metalic "buffing airbrush" paints. Only I use a wider brush to apply. After brush painting on the metalic, I wait for 30 to 40 seconds. Then I use a couple different (old and wide) dry brushes (trimmed short), and buff the areas I painted. The last buffing I do, I add a bit of powdered graphite to the buff. This gives it the "real" look. And that's about it. I use a latex glove when I have to handle the actual piece, otherwise I get finger prints in it. It's a bit of a messy system of painting and buffing, but the results are very realistic.

A little more progress today. Got most of the base metal finish on the jet now. And I did a coat of clear to hold it nicely. Next will be to mask off some of the rear sections for the different metal finish, plus add some detail weathering here and there.

DSC00460.jpg

Masking off required here next (for the darker metail finishes)...

DSC00462.jpg

Got anxious to attach the tip tanks to the wings...

DSC00470.jpg

Hope to get more done soon.

That's looking good there, Tilt! Just one thing: On the last image I believe I can spot, that the "horizontal" fins on the left tip tank need to be rotated or flipped by 180° on their own lateral axis. The outward edges of the tips are slanted too much, as far as I can see.

Maybe it's the lighting in the photos, it looks a bit like there's a few more coats of silver paint required on the fuselage?

Anyway, it is coming along really nicely :jaw-dropping: Keep it up!

Edited by RedIndian

Minor progress today (a little tired from taking the kids to the sledding hill).

So I fixed my 'tip tank fins' gaff. Feeling a little silly for that yet. Also, to answer you RedI, the base finish is all on there. It's basically a combination of a bad photographer (me), and poor lighting yet. The photo I'm posting today isn't going to show much better - I took it with my new phone. I'll take better shots of the model (outside) when it's done. That way the true look can be shown.

I got the intakes together, then did a bit of dry fitting of the wings and tail. The port side wing had some issues going in. Upon dry fitting, the wing drooped extra low. I had to trim out the insert piece a fair bit to get the height the same (as starboard). Slowly it's coming together...

IMAG0019.jpg