I like it Tilt - the red looks really sharp

Thanks Ken.

Couple more photos for tonight. Got the wings, nose, and tail glued on. Along with some more finish work completed. Several gloss coats on at this stage. I'll be toning that down at the end.

Enjoy...

DSC00482.jpg

DSC00487.jpg

Thanks for the nice comments guys.

I sort of adapted this technique partly due to my profession. I'm a designer/drafter, and do all my work by computer these days (autocad and such). But many years ago I used to wield the mightly drafters pencil, and drew stuff manually. Because of that, I used to collect up a lot of the graphite that would come from the sharpening of my pencils. I was taught to use such a powder in the shadings and such in the 'artwork' aspect that was a large part of manual drafting back then.

I began building a lot of models towards the end of my manual drafting career. And found that the graphite made a great product for weathering. The use of the powder, with older chopped down brushes, gives me abilities to weather very realitically. I only like to build models to make them look real. Dirty, messy, random patterns, no two looking alike. Canadian aircraft fit well with that too. There's never two Canadian military aircraft that look the same, after a couple years on the line. So it's a good combo.

I can do a TnT after this for sure. Thanks again for the nice comments. I'm learning a lot about 104's doing this model. It's forcing me to look at the small details in the many photos I have now. And I notice something I've done wrong almost everytime I sit down at the bench. I highly doubt this'll be the last 104 I build though. This model is just a dream kit.

:cheers:

Yeah, I hear ya Barney. I've been pouring through the 104 image CD that Sean sent me. Of the multitude of photos on there, no two 104 looks the same. Even the multiples of the same jet have stark differences depending on when they were shot. The jet I'm (somewhat) copying from the CD is bearing a similar look to what I've come up with so far......but it won't be spot on. My camera (the wife's actually) isn't fully capturing the real thing. It's a little cleaner than what is being shown here. Thanks for the feedback. :jaw-dropping:

Hey, nice decals. :woot.gif: It's really starting to come together.

I'll just echo what Barney said, that in the '70's it was a point of pride to keep to might CF-104 looking shiny and clean. Or at least as clean as possible for a Mach 2 aluminum cylinder in the wilds of northern Alberta where it's winter for 9 months of the year.

Cheers,

Sean

Added some overall dull-coatings a bit ago. It toned things down a slight. But I still like the slightly "gritty" look I got. It's a bit dirtier than the jet in the photo I'm (sort of) following, but it's got a feel of realism to it. We'll just go with the theory that this jet got missed in the cleaning rotation because it was too busy "playing" out in the range. :D

I'm going to call this one finished. And it's the first 1/48 scale model I've completed in about 6 years.

I whipped this one together a lot faster than I normally take. Not having easy access to my spray booth and air-brush put me on the lazy side of what I'm used too. I hand brushed a lot of parts that I would normally have air-brushed. But the effect turned out decent enough. This is a good "3 foot model" - meaning from about 3 feet and beyond, it looks great. Getting the nose in closer, you can then pick up the areas where I got lazy.

This kit was just awesome. I simply can't wait to build another Hasegawa 104. The fit and finish made this project a delight. I really didn't have to fight with any part of it. In fact the biggest obstacle was my lack of knowledge of the CF-104. And thanks to the fine folks here, I've gained plenty in that area.

The first photo was provided to me by Sean Bratton (thanks again) on a CD full of 104 images. It was the jet I, sort of, used as a guide to build mine. The markings are slightly different, and the finish on mine is a slight bit dirtier - but I like the way it turned out.

104784417SqdnMapleFlag.jpg

And now for mine (again....terrible photography - sorry)...

DSC00516.jpg

DSC00519.jpg

DSC00525.jpg

Wow! Looks great, Tilt and in record time, too.

However....I think you've got the canopy on backwards. It needs to be rotated 180 degrees as there shouldn't be a step at the front and rear frame.

Cheers,

Sean

Edited by Sean Bratton
However....I think you've got the canopy on backwards. It needs to be rotated 180 degrees as there shouldn't be a step at the front and rear frame.

Cheers,

Sean

Bratton,

Your discerning eye holds no bounds!! But actually, the problem was the rear-most canopy section. I glued that one on first, and didn't notice till too late (after I got the other canopies going) that the little triangle thingy (technical term) in behind the seat was obstructing the rear canopy from seating all the way. I didn't think it was bad enough to correct, until you pointed it out in the photo. Then it look massive!! lol

There's no step in the front and middle canopies - I think that's a bit of an illusion in the photo. But I did decide to "tink" off the rear canopy and correct the problem.

Here's a new photo... :redx:

DSC00529.jpg

Your discerning eye holds no bounds!!

And yet I've not been allowed to choose a paint colour for any room in our many house for the last five years.

the little triangle thingy (technical term)

The term you're looking for is "doohickey".

There's no step in the front and middle canopies - I think that's a bit of an illusion in the photo. But I did decide to "tink" off the rear canopy and correct the problem.

I see what happened and at first glance I thought it was the canopy being on backwards. The only reason I jumped to that conclusion is that I've (ahem) done that before.

Here's a new photo...

:thumbsup:

Sooooo, started that second CF-104 yet?

Cheers,

Sean

I don't know if the Kool Pool kids actually had guns installed.

The gun was installed fleet wide. We took a cub scout field trip to the Primrose Range one Saturday afternoon and got to see a pair of Zips do some rocket and gun runs. Airshows were a little lacking after that.

Cheers,

Sean

Tilt...You forgot to fill in the gun trough! How could you miss that!...KIDDING...The guns were being tested in Zweibrucken during 1967 and it was a really gastly noise..even from a mile away from the gun butts. I don't know if the Kool Pool kids actually had guns installed.

Barney

Barney!!!! You almsot had me there!! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the nice comments guys. And Sean, the next time I see this kit for sale, I'll be buying it right away. I'll need to figure out a good complimentary jet to this one.

Cheers,

Tilt

p.s. Doohickey!!! Dang it....I knew it was something like that. I also thought it was called a 'thing-amma-jigger'. :P