Classic Airframes Vampire Mk.3

Yes I do have the booms on, and guess what?! It doesn't sit on it's tail!!! I put the landing gear on temporary and it sat up nice. I still have some work to do on the joint between the booms and the body. I hope this kit is worth the time. I am just worried about the paint job with all the sanding involved.

All comments are welcome.

Wayne

body1.jpg

body2.jpg

body3.jpg

body4.jpg

Edited by Quiddy

Dipped the canopy in Future today. Test fitted and guess what.... it didn't fit well either. Had to work at it to fit the windscreen. Nothing new in the fit department. Hoping to start painting over the weekend. The way my schedule at work falls, if I take Tuesday off I get almost a full week off, so I can get some work done. Time is ticking, April 2nd is approaching fast. The Shearwater Museum show is that weekend and I want to get it done by then.

The fact that you have maintained your sanity during this exercise (an assumption on my part) is admirable. I've heard many horror stories regarding CA kits. Looks like you're going to do it justice.

Look forward to updates.

Mike

The fact that you have maintained your sanity during this exercise (an assumption on my part) is admirable. I've heard many horror stories regarding CA kits. Looks like you're going to do it justice.

Look forward to updates.

Mike

Keep my sanity? Does that mean I have had to have it in the first place? I have a couple of other CA kits to do. One is the Gannet and I have to finish the CF-5 that has been sitting on the bench for a couple of years.

Thanks for the nice comments guys!

It is painted. Finally. The instructions said to use a lighter red or salmon color. The closest I could come to it was RLM 23. The aluminum paint is Talon, the acrylic version of SNJ. I think it is fantastic.

All comments are welcome.

Wayne

paint1.jpg

paint2.jpg

paint3.jpg

that looks great Wayne! I didn't realize the plane was that small, or you have really large hands LOL

It is a small plane! LOL

Got the plane gloss coated, let it sit for a couple of days then start to put the decals on it Friday.

The decaling has begun. First decal to be put on breaks! Kum-by-ya, kum-by-ya.... I am at peace with the world... :monkeydance: I think I got it close and I can touch it up with black paint.

Was going through my stash of decals and found a set from Arrow Graphics for the P-51D Mustang that the 442 Squadron flew, after the Vampire. Must have been a little set back to go from a jet back to a prop.

Wayne: The problem with the 442 Sqn Vampire was that they were restricted to the West Coast because of their lack of range and the single engine. This purchase by the Federal government, was driven by the fact that the little Vampire was cheap compared to the Gloster Meteor that was wanted by the RCAF.

Barney