Great story about the stanky Lt. Alf!! :worship:

The T-Bird is coming along as well. Yeah, one really gets spoiled by building the finer kits. I still have my old CT-155 Hawk (on my old bench) yet. My current 104 is a dream for fit 'n' fiddle compared to the Hawk.

Great story about the stanky Lt. Alf!! :thumbsup:

The T-Bird is coming along as well. Yeah, one really gets spoiled by building the finer kits. I still have my old CT-155 Hawk (on my old bench) yet. My current 104 is a dream for fit 'n' fiddle compared to the Hawk.

Tilt

Definitely those 1/48 Hasegawa 104s are a dream to build! The filling is coming along nicely, but have to knock it off - back to work tomorrow.

ALF

This thing is quite the poorly-fitting beast.

P1090418.jpg

I have an old tube of putty that partially dried out when my wife called me away to help with supper... I used nail polish remover to soften it up and smooth it into the cracks. Here you can see it dried out, before smoothing with polish remover.

P1090420.jpg

And here it is painted with Tamiya Grey primer. Some of these gaps are a bit large, but not nearly as bad as before.

P1090421.jpg

This colour is pretty good for the overall grey - I'll just use the primer as the final coat! (told you I was lazy...)

ALF

Great progress so far, Alf. This one is coming together quickly for being a bit of a bear of a kit.

Have you figured out what you're going to use for the bushes on the leading edge of the wings? :worship:

Cheers,

Sean

Thanks for the comments Sean.

For the bushes, I was thinking of just letting a little moss grow on the dust while the model sits on the shelf - in about 10 years it should look pretty natural. That way nobody can say I don't put in the necessary time and effort to strive for realism!

ALF

Alf, Been a big fan of your anecdotes from other GB's and your builds.

Thank you.

Nice in progress build.

Looking forward to your Astra Tutor.

Emil

Thanks Emil!

Glad you enjoy the anecdotes. At my 'advanced age', it's all I have left... :woot.gif:

ALF

Coming along great. Don't forget those little vents on the upper rear part of the nose. I almost did on mine until I was putting on the decals.

????

Looks like the Testors kit doesn't come with them - assuming you mean the little ones at the top rear of the 'armament doors' (the big doors that hinge upward on either side of the nose). I had a good look at the Leading Edge decal sheet, and didn't spot any decals that were designed to fool the eye into seeing the gap at the back of the vents either.

Hmmmm. Might have to try my hand at scratch-building. Or just hope nobody notices... will have to think some more about it, but thanks for pointing it out in time.

ALF

In keeping with the Canadian Wings theme, here's a little view out the window from my modeling room. We're lucky enough to have a nice big lot with trees on two sides and a high fence on the third side - makes for a cottage-like nature feel to the back yard.

P1090417.jpg

Did some detail painting. I hand-painted Tamiya acrylic silver on the front of the tip tanks, then took a silver leaf pen and covered the navigation light bumps with silver. After they dried, I used permanent markers over the silver to give the impression of a clear lens. I experimented with a combination of green and blue, because the green nav lights always look quite blue in daylight when shut off.

P1090425.jpg

P1090426.jpg

I was going to close up the canopy, but the way this kit is made, the canopy sits very naturally open like this. I tried closing it, but found that it refused to sit properly on the canopy sill. I've glued it in place, and will decant some of the Tamiya primer into a little container to paint the canopy frame (and front canopy frame as well) by hand. Then I'll do the black and red touch-ups around the canopy sills.

P1090427.jpg

I'm typing this as the Future is drying. Still thinking about those vents...

ALF

Thanks Emil!

Glad you enjoy the anecdotes. At my 'advanced age', it's all I have left... :whistle:

ALF

:rofl:

So your in the mid Forties too Eh?

My Airline stories always include Beer a Flight Attendant and Nothing that incriminates the Guilty hence what happened in Vegas stayed in Vegas.

Mind you most of the married guys always used the out of town 3 day deice training course which was held in Jamaica as an excuse to go out with the boys.

It's not the same anymore.... maybe it is my 'advanced age' and these young kids just aren't like we used to be. :whistle:

:cheers:

Emil

:rofl:

So your in the mid Forties too Eh?

My Airline stories always include Beer a Flight Attendant and Nothing that incriminates the Guilty hence what happened in Vegas stayed in Vegas.

Mind you most of the married guys always used the out of town 3 day deice training course which was held in Jamaica as an excuse to go out with the boys.

It's not the same anymore.... maybe it is my 'advanced age' and these young kids just aren't like we used to be. :whistle:

:cheers:

Emil

Emil

I have a couple airline stories of my own... always fodder for a good laugh (or for an incredulous gaping look).

There was the day I bought a ticket at Detroit Metro Wayne County airport for Toronto, dressed in a Canadian Forces flying suit with my CF-5 parachute on my back... the agent asked me if I was "nervous about flying" to which I nodded... then the flight attendants on board started calling me DB (DB Cooper).

I have more stories about one particular flight attendant - but those are very confidential (they go back to when I dated her for a year or so).

De-icing course in Jamaica? Sign me up! You Air Can folks sure know how to plan your training...

ALF

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back after most of last week away in lovely Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan again. I started applying the decals before I left, and here is proof that I am taking the 'beverage use' rule of this GB to heart... note the Timmy's cup!

P1090429.jpg

Decals pretty much done, and I need to paint the canopy frames. To do that, I decanted some of the spray paint into a little pill container. I also needed to cover up some of the poorly-applied red (hand-painted, but maybe I had too much Timmy's coffee - my hand was shaking a bit).

P1090439.jpg

I had a bit of a problem. The decanted paint, when brushed over the red, managed to mix with the red (which had been drying for almost a week), and made a pinkish grey. Oh Cr**p!

(I'll let little Max illustrate that point...)

P1090434.jpg

A few coats later, and it looks better. Now I have to redo the red.

P1090444.jpg

I noticed that the main canopy doesn't fit very well into the frame. I wish I'd done some dry-fitting earlier; I might have been able to fix it. Now I think I'll kind of seat it so it shows as little as possible.

Now back to the Christmas preparations...

ALF

Edited by ALF18
Looks good Alf

Great job

Thanks buddy!

Looks like you pulled ahead of me and finished before I did - I like the job you did on your little float plane. That white and coloured stripe finish is nicely done.

ALF

It's almost there Alf. Great illustration by Max!! LOL

I was beginning to wonder when you'd be back at it. I'm almost pulling ahead of you on my 104 build. Who'da thunk!! :huh:

Tilt

You're almost pulling ahead of me... why? Choose an answer (hint - 'C' is ALSO the longest...)

a. I've suddenly become a super-detailer

b. Rather than do my usual 'rush to the finish', I've decided to take my time and make it perfect

c. I lost most of last week due to a trip to the Prairies, where I entered a time warp and moved 10 years back in time - then I had a few 'oh no' moments (such as the one Max illustrated so well), then I finally decided that no matter how imperfect this little beast is, it was time to call it finished soon and move on to the big T-Bird...

d. You're more of a speed-builder than me

So did you pick c? Bingo!

What I find impressive, Tilt, is the great results you're getting, despite how quickly yours is coming together. :worship:

It also tells me that something else positive is happening - you're getting adequate time to do the hobby. That's usually a good sign.

ALF

Lookin' good, Alf! I don't think I've every seen an overall grey T-bird model done with the 439 markings before.

Cheers,

Sean

Thanks Sean.

Two reasons I picked the scheme: it's relatively easy to do, given that it's really only one colour, with minimal masking required; and 439 is now a local unit, so I might offer this one to either the squadron for their lounge, or the local Air Defence Museum - which is the owner of 133333, whose pics were taken in their display park.

Nice of you to stop by!

ALF

The finish line is in sight.

The main canopy didn't fit very well. The frame was warped, and it looked like it might even be too large for my clear part. After endless fiddling and dry fitting, I realized that the warpage was what was making it appear not to be the right size. So I glued the rear portion of the clear part in place and let it dry. I then put glue on the forward portion, and clamped it in place to dry. It worked!

P1090457.jpg

P1090459.jpg

Done!

P1090460.jpg

More pics of the finished product:

P1090462.jpg

P1090463.jpg

P1090465.jpg

ALF

Edited by ALF18