2nd build: 1/48 Italeri Tornado

Hi,

After my M-163 diorama, I will be building a RAF Tornado GR1 for this GB, Kit using will be the 1/48 Italeri Tornado ECR, and my friend will be supplying me with the appropriate RAF decal ... let's see how it turn out, I heard this is not an easy kit, lots of fit issues........

DSC04054.jpg

more to come...

sweet, I like Tornados :cop:

Not sure if you know....

I've never built an ECR kit, but I'm fairly certain the ECR kit / plane lacks the two guns on the GR1 Tornado. You might be able to build the Gr1A recon variant that had no guns on it.

oh yeah, there are issues, but they're fixable. Putty solves all :) There is lots of resin out there to correct things if you're willing to purchase them.

Edited by Benner

You need to drill out the gunports and insert a barrel. You will also need to invent two blade aireals 1/3 of the distance forward of the spine navigation light.

You will also need to use a Sky Shadow (pts 98,95,97 should be in the kit) and a BOZ-107 ECM pods (pts 92,93,94). The Tanks are Germain/Italian you will need Airfix 2500lt tanks. Also forget the ECR triangular window 'thing' on the underside just use pt 88a in it's place. and replace the small ecm seeker on the starbord chin with the laser rangfinder part 87a and 86d

You cannot do a RAF Reccie bird oob - you need to get the infared line scanner (Airfix kit) in place of the ECR Triangular .......... 'thing'. But there ARE NO gunports !

You will also need RAF weapons (none in the kit)

.........that's basicly it ?

(sorry)

Edited by ixgr1

wooww....thanks for the advice guys....and I check the part, you guys are right, there are no guns , and why is Italeri doing this, shouldn't the part be molded with the gunports as standard? I think I will need to drill holes for the gunports, and seem like a lot to do .. this should be fun!!!

DSC04055.jpg

Edited by masterqq

You will also need to add a centerline weapon pylon & MACE fairings to the front & reea weapon stations on the belly pylon,add two large blade aerials to either side of the fin as well as drill out the APU exhaust on the right side.

In the cockpit,you'll need to add a NVG control panel to the left of the HUD on top of the pilots IP & add glare shields to the NAV's CRT screens.

Note as well,due to a fuel tank being in the GR1's fin you cannot sweep the wings back when parked,also the weapons used by us are totally different than other country's so you can't rob some LGB's off your F-16.....

However,we did trial Rockeye CBU's towards the end of the year,but never flew with them.

I have a thread HERE you may find useful.

MACE Fairings & LGB;

normal_lgb.jpg

Rockeye load;

n751408414_704187_3351.jpg

APU;

DSC_0113a.jpg

have we scared you with all the changes you have to do for an accurate Tornado yet? :)

The important thing is to remember it's your build and you can do whatever you feel comfortable with. Drilling out a hole for the APU would be a nice detail, but you can also go the Airfix way and just use a black rectangular decal for it. You can even put on a bunch of 1500 litre tanks and say it's on a ferry or training flight.

za370_3.jpg

but if you want to correct everything, there is

Paragon: exhaust cans, fin correction, pylon set, bulged wheels, fuel tanks

neomega: cockpit set (you can get paragon seats only if you want to go that route)

eduard: photoetch set, I don't think it's available anymore

.. probably more, but I can't think of them right now.

Edited by Benner

Wooowww...guys....excellent info and very scary indeed...as I usally build OOB...so no resin for this build, I will see what I can get the most out of the kit OOB..

- APU window..look doable..

- NVG control panel and glare shields , no idea how it look like, would really appreciate if anyone can point me to a ref photo.

-

anyway, My mate provide me some of the required RAF staff mention previously, Skyshadow and bl-755 Cluster bomb. BOZ-107 taken from the kit,

DSC04056.jpg

I have another question on the part that look like a Camera pod that came with the kit, the instruction said put it behind the front wheel bay, is this the recce pod used by RAF ? I may just do a Racce bird instead of cutting the gunports..

DSC04058.jpg

Wooowww...guys....excellent info and very scary indeed...as I usally build OOB...so no resin for this build, I will see what I can get the most out of the kit OOB..

- APU window..look doable..

- NVG control panel and glare shields , no idea how it look like, would really appreciate if anyone can point me to a ref photo.

-

anyway, My mate provide me some of the required RAF staff mention previously, Skyshadow and bl-755 Cluster bomb. BOZ-107 taken from the kit,

DSC04056.jpg

I have another question on the part that look like a Camera pod that came with the kit, the instruction said put it behind the front wheel bay, is this the recce pod used by RAF ? I may just do a Racce bird instead of cutting the gunports..

DSC04058.jpg

Nope,the photo Benner posted is of a GR1A recce in the configuration for scud hunting over the Iraqi desert.The Linescan pod behind the wheel well is more rounded &,IIRC,the still is a gun on the right side on the GR1A.

Secondly,those are not BL755 CBU's but 1000lb bombs with a poor representation of a 901 Retarded tail unit.

Oh,& the rear of the BOZ pod is wrong....

Spike (ex RAF Tornado Armourer)

DSC04058.jpg

that is the infrared scanner fitted on German ECR variant; originally, the ECR was to do SEAD and recon. The linescan part goes in the same area but looks different. You can build one from scratch or get the part from the airfix tornado kit. I have this part so I can show you pictures of it later for you; I'm at work all day today.

Edited by Benner
The Linescan pod behind the wheel well is more rounded &,IIRC,the still is a gun on the right side on the GR1A.

-you may be thinking of a GR-4 ? I think the GR-1A was Gunless - because of the sidways looking cameras. Which btw, Masterqq you can do with a rectangular mustard coloured patch re; Benners photo

Secondly,those are not BL755 CBU's but 1000lb bombs with a poor representation of a 901 Retarded tail unit.

Oh,& the rear of the BOZ pod is wrong....

this is my attempt at what Spike7451 (the Guru) is talking about, with the Boz107 pod

boz107.jpg

and this is the RAF Inferred linescan 'blister', on the right, this is what directly replaces the tiangular camera pod you pictured.

With the Brittish 1500lt tanks in the middle and the european tanks on the left (ok not MUCH differance, depends on how far you whant to go..... ?

Image002-3.jpg

....I also think the bombs you have pictured - are from the kit and are, as Spike said, crude 500lb retared (bombs with parachutes). The 'Poms' I think, only used 1000lb general perpose bombs......

Your Idear of a Reconicance bird is Great with that particular kit (and you don't need any weapons ?????), you just need to somehow create an RAF linescanner blister. Not trying to 'swamp' you at the end of the day - it's your model, do it as much as you whant !

Edited by ixgr1
-you may be thinking of a GR-4 ? I think the GR-1A was Gunless - because of the sidways looking cameras. Which btw, Masterqq you can do with a rectangular mustard coloured patch re; Benners photo

....I also think the bombs you have pictured - are from the kit and are, as Spike said, crude 500lb retared (bombs with parachutes). The 'Poms' I think, only used 1000lb general perpose bombs......

That's why I put 'iirc' as the last time I saw a GR1A or even worked on one was on Desert Storm! We didn't have GR1A's at Bruggen.....The retard tail unit's that we use work by the sides of the tail unit are hinged at the rear,when they deploy,they pull parachute sections out of the sides & form an 'inveted 'cone'.

That's why I put 'iirc' as the last time I saw a GR1A or even worked on one was on Desert Storm! We didn't have GR1A's at Bruggen.....The retard tail unit's that we use work by the sides of the tail unit are hinged at the rear,when they deploy,they pull parachute sections out of the sides & form an 'inveted 'cone'.

I still think your a legand Spike...........you surly have foggotten more on the Tonka than I will ever know.

"iirc" ?

Aha, I can see a Tornado fever on you lately bro! Good luck with your build!

It's seem that Italeri one are much more easier to build compared to the Hobbyboss kit.

Will watch with interest on your & Mr B tread since I also got the Italeri ADV begging to be build.

My appreciation for all the Tornado gurus for your inputs, I will put your input to my considaration and add according per my skill limit...:whistle:

I also got the Italeri ADV begging to be build

Musang, apa lagi, build the ADV lah, with all the gurus here, you can't go wrong..:D and after talking to Mr B, the HB kit fit like a dream, I think that will be the batter kit to build instead..

and a little progress on the cockpit, I usually prefer darker IPs, but the instruction said 36375, so I paint it with Gunze 308..with various black and white dots..

DSC04059.jpg

Cheers gang..and ixgr1, thanks for your kind words..

More work done... I wanted to have some "Dirty" nose art on my Tornado, so I have the gun drilled out, the old airfix Bomb will provide the required vents...

DSC04060.jpg

and the result is ....I think it is oversize .. but nevermind..

DSC04074.jpg

the IPs installed in place..

DSC04072.jpg

and the cockpit assembled..

DSC04075.jpg

there are some seams line to fight... more later..

Benner,

youre right about the cut, maybe too late to repair it, should have done a batter job earlier..

Anyway, assembled the fuselage, the fitting on the shoulders and intakes are bad, there's a putty party going on down there...sanding...putty..sanding..

DSC04076.jpg

Anyway, assembled the fuselage, the fitting on the shoulders and intakes are bad, there's a putty party going on down there...sanding...putty..sanding..

lol, been there, done that ... :)

.. and will be going there again with my next Italeri tornado :nanner:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Received the decals and Alarms from my friend Mr B AKA "Santa" on the Christmas eve..thank you Mr B...and the marking gonna be Donna Ewin after all..

I also extended the tail of the Boz.. and I just future coated the clear parts, looking forward to paint it after Christmas Break.

DSC04109.jpg

Wish you all Merry Christmas and happy new year...

Hi,

Received the decals and Alarms from my friend Mr B AKA "Santa" on the Christmas eve..thank you Mr B...and the marking gonna be Donna Ewin after all..

I also extended the tail of the Boz.. and I just future coated the clear parts, looking forward to paint it after Christmas Break.

DSC04109.jpg

Wish you all Merry Christmas and happy new year...

a little nitpick, if you want to put on ALARM, it's up to you. But "Donna Ewin" ZD844, was one of the few jets that was specifically equipped for TIALD to designate targets for smart bombs dropped from other Tornados. "Donna Ewin" was also not capable of launching ALARM missiles.

a little nitpick, if you want to put on ALARM, it's up to you. But "Donna Ewin" ZD844, was one of the few jets that was specifically equipped for TIALD to designate targets for smart bombs dropped from other Tornados. "Donna Ewin" was also not capable of launching ALARM missiles.

Oh my, Donna Ewin and ALARM don't match... I don't have TIALD and LGB on hand, either I look for other decals or use the fictitious loading..I'll see what is best..