Indeed, this has surely been an "eye-opener" to me in terms of all the quality info coming out of a rather simple question.

Any RLM WWII discussion could be too exciting, agree.

There is another aspect to all this:

Which paint to use? What is the difference in paint type between Humbrol and say Tamayia? Although they may both list the same FS number, there could be smaller differences.

I looked very carefully at the tamayia vs Humbrol and decided on Humbrol as I perceived the difference in the green's as slightly more pronounced. I used the Tamayia as the 'tan" - flat earth. slightly darker than the corresponding humbrol, but looks 'better' to me and is not too far from the pics. And the pics have a rather big range even on this colour.

It probably boils down to perception and personal preference.

Yours,

Ivan

And although others may assign FS numbers to Tamiya paints, Tamiya themselves never has. So Tamiya's XF## may be quoted by people as being FS#####, but only by eye and approximation of the person and not by the manufacturer.

But then, I think every manufacturers paint is "an approximation" of the actual FS colour; I guess it's up to us, the modeler, to accept their rendition or look elesewhere.

This is a great discussion on the SEA colors. Before I just say what I think are the closet color matches, I will qualify my opinion. I was in the USAF from '71 to '77. My time was spent as a airframe mechanic in TAC and PACAF. I know memory is not always that good but I have more hours working on these planes than I care to talk about. The two best greens that I've seen to match the SEA Camo are Tamiya XF5, flat green and Tamiya XF27,black green. The tan color is so variable because it faded easily and I don't think the color was ever standard from one base to another. I would like to hear from a corrosion control person on this. The black green was very close to black but not quite. Tamiya does a great job on this I think. :thumbsup:

Dean