F-111 final flight

Just had the last F-111 overfly my house in Logan City of Brisbane, Australia !

There are two final flights, one northside one Southside of Brisbane - we got the southern route (Via the Gold Coast)

My Son the 'Exelant Little Dude', heard it and we rushed out the house (like someone was stealing the car ! according to my Daughter) , only to hear it above the cloud base (yup - its raining!!!!)

They will now land at RAAF Amberley in about an hour after a final display !

Still We heard it and thats now history for you !

- LONG LIVE THE PIG !

did it do a fuel dump "flame throw" for a good bye?

The pig will be missed....

Apparently they did a Dump and Burn over Amberley (according to Twitter) and then landed......"Pigs no longer fly"-abc twitter.

The last Night Dump and Burn - was at the Ipswich (local town to RAAF Amberly) Chrismas Carols, A full 30 second worth !!

long live the Pig

Edited by ixgr1

So this is how the Lightning guys felt in the late 80 :D s. The birds were prepped with much love, care and respect today, emotions for the pig run deep in the RAAF. I'm sure there will be many a beer and story tonight in celebrating it's 40 year history.

:cheers:, Unfortunately I missed the last F-111 dump and burns as I live 600 miles south of their base. I can however say that I witnessed the first one over RAAF Wagga in 1973. I saw that sight repeated quite a number of times in my and the Pig's career. Bye Bye Pig, you will be missed sadly by all Aussie aviation enthusiasts.

:),

Ross.

Sad day indeed.

Shame they were farewelled in such rubbish weather.

We got a nice low and slow flyby here in Toowoomba a few weeks ago, that video will be a keeper!

I was lucky enough to be in the right spot to watch last weekends dump and burn from up here in Toowoomba, thought they must have been going for an endurance record!

Denzil

Ps last weekends effort;

http://www.philrettkephotography.com/Lands...758_wrNLV-XL-LB

Not my pic, but it'd be a shame not to share it!

Edited by DDC

Ok......this is the last burn ever (just posted on Facebook)

60696_465963387638_88014372638_5827916_170850_n.jpg

and the last landing ever (from RAAF webphotos)

20101203raaf8202385_01451.jpg

Ironicaly this aircraft was the very first RAAF F-111 to fly !

long live the pig !

I saw that sight repeated quite a number of times in my and the Pig's career. Bye Bye Pig, you will be missed sadly by all Aussie aviation enthusiasts.

:blink:,

Ross.

And not a few Kiwi's as well. I saw them a few times here (first in 1984 as a 7 year old-it left a definite impression!), and a couple of times in their native territory across the ditch. Last time I saw one was at Ohakea in March '08, and it got a round of applause from the crowd line while taxi-ing past after a very enthusiastic/awesome display, with more applause when the crew dismounted. I didn't know it was the last time I would be seeing one fly then; some goodbyes are better that way! :banana:

Edited by Mumbles

I was fortunate enough to be able to travel out the Amberley for the day. I was a great display.. even though I was peering though the boundary fence!

Quick overview of what happened at Amberley: there was five F-111 with two Rhinos which took off and came back around for several low and slow formation passes before splitting heading off north and south along the coast. The two Rhinos then returned low and fast, landed and set up as 'goal posts' on one of the taxiways. Then a solo F-111 took to the sky and performed a mini airshow, passing low and fast between the 'goal posts' multiple times. Then came the final Dump n Burn. Several low-level high speed sneak passes, both solo and in pairs, completed the display before a final formation pass with the six Pigs followed by an 'Initial and Pitch' which bought them in to land.

Here are some photos on the Defence website in case anyone is interested, click

Cheers,

Tom

Here are some photos on the Defence website in case anyone is interested, click

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks for the link Tom! :jaw-dropping:

20101203raaf8202385_0153copy.jpg

Photo courtesy of Australian Defence Website...(www.defence.gov.au).

What a shot!...its a shame we will never see these guys again.

Jeff.