Steve F.'s Revell F-14B

EDIT: (I've since merged my initial request for information into a global project thread for my Revell F-14B, backdated from the 'B' kit. The entire project can now be found in this thread.) - SF

I've Googled my way all the way to the end of the Internet, and I can't find so much as one clear photo of the F-14B's square PTID screen in the RIO's cockpit. I'm scratchbuilding a cockpit for my Revell F-14D, which will be backdated to a B, and I'd like to get the PTID and HUD as accurate as possible. Can anyone lend a hand?

Thanks much in advance. :P

Steve,

about the HUD, i think you shoudl ask Brian, he might have some info. as for the PTID screen i can give you a pretty good idea but no pics sorry. if you look at the hasegawa B rear panel, its that minus the round scope with just the square screen added in its place. the screen is square, obviously, and it has all the buttons around the perimeter like F-18 displays. if you have the BB combat series set it has a very good representation of the screen.

Anyway, its nto much but i hope it helsp a little

Sebastian

Steve

I've had a look in Verlinden's Lock On 18 on the F14A/B which has got some pictures of the cockpit of an early model (?) F14B. The rear cockpit has got a circular screen not the square PTID but there are some good pictures of the front cockpit and HUD.

Contact me off board if you think they're going to be of any use to you.

Richard

Steve,

To answer your question, I should have some pics of the Sparrowhawk HUD here pretty soon. There aren't too many published photos on it that I've seen. VF-103 had theirs covered up at the time I saw them, so I couldn't get any pictures. The system is still pretty new, so give it some time and there should be something available shortly, unless Fuji beat me to the punch :P !

As for the PTIDS screen, The one included in the BB Combat series set is pretty close to the real thing. If you need one, I'll send you one. I also have an issue of Combat A/C I can send along with it that has a great pic of the PTIDS.

Brian

I've got the Aires F-14B cockpit set and it includes the old round screen. I don't know if this is correct or not. I plan on using this set for my forthcomming Hasegawa F-14B VF-103 (the special edition kit that just came out).

If it is supposed to be square, I need to acquire one.

The front cover of The Hook has a picture of a Swordsmen pilot sitting in his "office". Some of the HUD is visible in the picture. I'd say it's close, but not identical, in appearance to the Delta HUD. It's a double-glass setup. The framework looks a bit different from the D HUD. I can't see much else because of the windscreen framing.

Guys-

Thanks for all the info. Unfortunately, I don't have that issue of WAPJ, but I'll keep looking.

If it is supposed to be square, I need to acquire one.

IIRC, only the VERy early Bs had the round TID display. All of the ones in the fleet now should have the square PTID.

Is the B backseat panel the same as the D? I have the Tomcat walkaround book, and it shows the D well.

Ken, that's what I was hoping for as well, but when I started thumbing through the Squadron walkaround, it showed the D as having the round TID display as well. For some reason, I don't think its the same as the A's TID, but I'm not sure.

As for the PTIDS screen, The one included in the BB Combat series set is pretty close to the real thing. If you need one, I'll send you one. I also have an issue of Combat A/C I can send along with it that has a great pic of the PTIDS.

Thanks a bunch, bud! That would be much appreciated, provided that you don't need it. I scratchbuilt one for my kit, but to be honest, I have no idea if it's accurate or not. It looks OK sizewise, but I have nothing to compare it against.

I'd say it's close, but not identical, in appearance to the Delta HUD

That's kind of what I was thinking too, Darren. I can hold off on that a bit, otherwise, I'll just scratchbuild something and try to make it as close as I can to what I think it should look like.

Again, thanks a bunch to all who resonded, and Brian, thanks for coming through in the clutch once again. All help is much appreciated! :cheers:

Guest NJ Johnson

Steve,

Air Forces Monthly Special (Tomcat vs Hornet) has a photo of the F-14B Upgrade HUD on p 30. It is different to the D-model's - I can send you a scan if you want.

As for the PTID, The D does (AFAIK) only have the round one - The B (late upgrades and new builds) have a square one with an old A-12 side-stick hand-controller on the left RIO side-panel - again, I can send you a scan if necessary (by e-mail for copyright reasons?)

Regards

NJ

As for the PTID, The D does (AFAIK) only have the round one - The B (late upgrades and new builds) have a square one with an old A-12 side-stick hand-controller on the left RIO side-panel - again, I can send you a scan if necessary (by e-mail for copyright reasons?)

Regards

NJ

That statement about the D not having the PTIDS screen is inaccurate. Most, if not all F-14D's have the PTIDS. I think all of VF-31's D's have had the PTIDS mod, and I know at least half of VF-213's have had it.

As for the HUD in the B, it is totally different than the D's HUD, and from what I hear is a little better.

Brian Marbrey

This was why I was asking, BTW :cheers:

A.D.D. has gripped me once again, and my Harrier has gone back in the box for the moment to start a Revell F-14D, backdated to a B, using spare parts from the Hasegawa and Academy kits. I wanted to make sure that I had some idea of what the PTID looked like before I went any further with it:

Why the Revell kit? I just wanted to prove to myself that I could make something out of it, I guess.......

Hey Brian-

Yup, those are the Hasegawa instrument panels. I realized that I had them left over since I used the BB pit in the Hasegawa bird, so I sanded them down wafer-thin and glued them down. I'm hoping they'll look OK under a coat of paint.

I'll be doing the switches on the PTID next....I've been at this all day, and I definitely need a break......my eyes are starting to go a little funny on me.........eek08.gif

Thanks for the compliments, bro!

That looks great so far, Steve. That's a sweet idea using the leftover Hasegawa parts, too. I'll have to implement that on my next Academy kit.

What did you use for the seat cushion and belts? Those look pretty slick.

Mike

Mike-

Actually, I made them with Milliput epoxy putty. This was my first attempt at this, but I did learn a lot about the stuff, and I think my next effort will be much better.

I have to ask myself WHY I pulled this kit off the shelf. I have no less than a dozen Academy and Hasegawa kits, but for some reason, this one called out to me. I think it had something to do with looking at one of Cyrus Tan's models earlier today, which gave me that old 'silk purse/sow's ear' syndrome, and has forced me to operate way outside of my normal realm.

Oh well, experience is the best teacher - or so they say....lol.gif