Steve F.'s Revell F-14B

No problem, Brian. I also added text to the reference page on ScaleAIR where the in-flight shots are, but I'm not going to be able to alter the pics themselves for a day or two. However, I think that I provided some clarification on the origin of the photos, as you requested.

• 1 month later...

Well, it's been long enough without any progress on this puppy, so over the course of the last two days, I've finally had a chance to get some paint on this thing.

The more I look at photos of Navy TPS aircraft, the more I'm convinced that pre-shading only works for certain parts of the aircraft. On the topsides, it almost seems to be pre-shading in reverse, with the lighter colors following the panel lines and the panel centers being darker. With this in mind, I'm trying some 'reverse pre-shading' on this one. Some parts of the model are pre-shaded as normal, while others were pre-shaded with a lighter mix of the base colors. The regular shades were airbrushed around the panel lines and in the panel centers. Here's the underside of the aircraft. The finish is intentionally splotchy, and for the most part, it's a standard pre-shade:

57.jpg

The topsides are different, as you can see below:

58.jpg

59.jpg

60.jpg

Keep in mind that this is only one component of the painting/weathering process. This does not include washes, staining with pastels, and other weathering techniques. It's just a component of a larger equation. but I think that it's a good starting point for what I'm trying to accomplish with the finish. There are a few minor problems with this model that will probably keep it off the contest table, but it's a good test bed for new techniques, and I think that this will work out well when combined with other aspects of weathering such as washes and pastels.

LMAO, GOLLY GE WHILLIKERS, hmmmm sounds like GOMER to me!!! :cheers: Ok so we cant say nice things, so you got black paint on the rear instrument hood. AH the he** with that, it looks good Steve!! I thought about spraying lighter paint for preshading but never did it, I am glad you tried it. Next Kitty, I should try it too!!

Jack aka BUGFAN

Ok so we cant say nice things, so you got black paint on the rear instrument hood.

Actually, I'm going to repaint that, Jack. I know it should be a brownish color for the 2004 time frame, but it just doesn't look right to me. I think I'll repaint it olive drab....even if it's not 100% correct, it still looks better. :cheers:

AH the he** with that, it looks good Steve!! I thought about spraying lighter paint for preshading but never did it, I am glad you tried it. Next Kitty, I should try it too!!

Thanks, Jack! I thought it looked strange at first, but it's starting to grow on me, and I think that it'll look even better once I get a wash on it. Like I said, it's just part of the equation, and hopefully, it'll look nice when it's finished.

I have a picture of the actual ptid from when i worked in AIMD. i can send it to you if you like

That would be great if you get a chance. My e-mail address is sfilak@hvc.rr.com. :thumbsup:

what marking steve? Vf-103?

Yup. I just haven't figured out which time period yet. As it stands right now, I can use any markings from 2002-2005, and I'm almost leaning toward a 2004 line jet at this point. We'll see how it goes as the paint job progresses.

Those upper surface shots in particular look very convincing and this topic of the lighter colors on the panel lines came up about a week or so ago too. I'll definitely try that on my upcoming F-14.

Thanks, David. The more I look at it, the more it's growing on me. It's kind of a departure from the norm in terms of the way I paint, but I think that it'll look OK once I finish weathering the whole thing.

Steve-

A couple of things for you to look at.

1. The tiny antenae just forward of the UHF antenae on the turtle back needs to be removed. And don't forget to add your GPS dome on the spine.

2. For your rear instrument hood, paint it OD green and dry brush it with military brown. This will give you the effect you're looking for.

If you need walk arounds, let me know what VF-103 jet you want, and I'll fire what I've got off to you.

Other than that lookin' real good there bud! :thumbsup:

Thanks, Brian. I had almost forgotten about the small antenna, and I also need to replace the larger TACAN antenna that I broke off during the build. I figured that I could pretty much do the GPS ball at any time, and I'll probably look into that soon.

Thanks for the offer on the walkarounds - much appreciated! :D

Thanks very much, fellas! Kevin, the only thing I'm worried about is that the effect might be lost once I finish weathering the thing, but I guess we'll see how it goes. Hopefully, enough of the effect will remain after washes and pastels have been applied. However, I'm thinking that if worse comes to worst, I can go back and re-apply some of the spot repainting/touchups if it winds up looking too subtle later on.

congrats Steve

your doing a fine work. I love to see all those scratchmade improvements on your model. I´m now doing a similar kind of work, with the Zengdefu´s Su-27 ub, not a good kit, but it isn´t as bad as everyone says.

keep on doing that good work

Andres

Andres/Alby,

Once again, thanks very much for the kind words. It's nice to finally get aq coat of paint on this thing, even though I've found a few blurbs that I have to go back and fix now. Still, it's nice to start seeing some light at the end of the tunnel. ;)

Thanks again! ;)