Steve F.'s Revell F-14B

Steve,

That looks amazing. Do a searchy for Revell Tomcats, spend an hour reading this thread. I think my Revell A model just became easier to build, although I'm not going to rescribe the kit. I'm going to sand thr panel lines off, paint and decal, then draw the lines back on with a very fine mechanical pencil. I know it's not a perfect solution, but it should would for my purposes.

Spaced Marine,

I can't say that I blame anyone for not wanting to re-scribe this model, and if re-drawing the lines is the route you're going to take, you'll probably have a much easier time of it. It took me quite a while to finish it, with the undersides of the wings being the most time consuming. Thanks very much for the kind words, BTW.....and this is probably the last Revell Tomcat you'll ever see me build. :woot.gif:

Thanks for the feedback Steve. I've found that pannel lines drawn on with a drafting pencil, are to dinstinguish from scribed ones until you get right up ontop of them. So for my purpose, and a possible decent showing at the local show, good enough for government work.

Steve,

If that is how your paint job looks BEFORE your weathering process, I would say you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

Getting a correctly mottled appearance on modern US Navy jets is, IMO, as important as using accurate decals. Your method produces some great results.

-Mike

P.S. I still like the fact that you actually modified the front office to look like a real B...most people don't bother.

Thanks, Mike - glad you like it. I just couldn't let that front office slide without some modifications, it would have really bothered me.

Looking forward to getting back at it again shortly. I've been tied up with a few things the last two weeks, and on top of that, it's been a little on the chilly side in the workshop. Thanks again for the kind words! :worship:

• 3 months later...

Not a whole lot of progress lately, to be honest. I've been working anywhere from 60-80 hours a week for the last couple of months, but I'm not working tomorrow, and I'm hoping to get some time down in the shop and work on it a bit. :lol:

Hey Steve,

Have been watching this thread with interest, you're doing a great job, keep at it!

If I could throw my bit in.... don't forget to add some patch painting on the underside. In the attached pic, I sprayed the area to be done with a very dark grey, then "filled in" with the base colour. This is really evident around fasteners that are used regularly.

image008.jpg

Cheers

M

Matt,

I was actually planning on doing that, especially around the daily doors. I was looking it over a while ago, and realized that it needed a bit more dirtying up, and some additional patch painting as well. I had every intention on getting some stuff done with it today, but unfortunately, I spent the afternoon on a ladder cleaning out the gutters. :lol:

BTW, your Tomcat is VERY nicely done. I use a very similar method for patch painting, and yours is extremely convincing. :D

Steve,

Why thankyou! All compliments graciously accepted!

I actually used the "Kaan Gok" method on this Tomcat, and really like how it comes up. Will certainly use it on all future Navy models.

FWIW, you can see more shots of this (and other of my models) at www.matt.scalespot.com

Cheers

M

• 8 months later...

Well, there haven't been any updates for many months, but my Tomcat is FINALLY in the home stretch. I figured that since I started it back in November of 2003, it was time to get it wrapped up. :)

It's not completely finished yet; I still need to clean up a few small blurbs, add the tailhook, and then decide whether or not I want to put weapons on the fuselage stations, but here she is:

65.jpg

66.jpg

64.jpg

68.jpg

62.jpg

63.jpg

67.jpg

Actually, these photos don't really show the mottling on the fuselage surface all that well. It's a little more pronounced on the model, but I just took these pictures on 'Auto'. When I finish it up and send the article to Steve, I'll experiment with the camera settings to get some better contrast. Comments welcome as always - I have a thick skin. :cheers:

holy smokes - he finished it! :doh:

Well, almost - but what isn't finished tonight can be done in a single session at the workbench. Or, I can just leave it as is - but it would be nice to hang a couple of bombs in the tunnel. ;)

NICE! - the paint and weathering are very nice. I like how you angled the rear stabs too.

Thanks, Ken. I was going to do the flaps too, but you know what kind of controversy that can cause....:cheers:

that sure passes the Quality Filter!!!!!!!!!!!!

Golly gee whillikers......thanks, bro! :)

Steve,

Very nice Tomcat! About time we got to see it finsihed. Hey, I noticed you used the TCS out of an Academy kit. Any plans to pop an MV Lens in there?

I love the weathering BTW. Fantastic job!

Thanks, Colin! Actually, I didn't use an MV lens, but there is a punched out disc of clear styrene sheet in there. I probably should have mounted it closer to the front of the aperture, but it is in there. :wacko:

Thanks, Gregg - glad you like it! I still think that the photos are a little washed out, but again, that's something that I can fix when I take the final photos for the article. I figured that since it's been over three years since I started this project, it was time to finish it up before they retire the Super Hornet. :wacko:

Funny, when I started this project, this aircraft wasn't even wearing that scheme yet (2004 scheme), and now the aircraft has been retired for well over a year. I need to start working on building a little quicker, I guess. :P

Nice job Steve!!

Um...you know F-14's actually have tail hooks? :doh:

Just kidding... :worship:

Ahem....

It's not completely finished yet; I still need to clean up a few small blurbs, add the tailhook, and then decide whether or not I want to put weapons on the fuselage stations, but here she is:

B)

Thanks, Brian - glad you like it. As I said, there are still a few minor tweaks, and I have to decide on bombs or no bombs, but overall, I'm happy with it. Then again, considering that this is the first model I've finished in three years, I guess I ought to be...... :lol:

Nice Tomcat Steve, glad you finished it, been following it closely, I've been on a Tomcat kick lately, but have to finish my other stuff first. Outstanding weathering BTW.

Jeff

Thanks very much, Jeff. I think that the weathering will show up a bit more when I re-shoot the model. I should learn never to trust the 'Auto' setting on the camera, and this is a prime example of why, as these photos are a bit on the light side. Tomorrow, I'll get some better pics for everyone. ;)