Revell 1/32 Lysander - Target Tow

boxtop.jpg

Well, I too have started working on my bird as well. I am planning on doing the girl as the restored Canadian Warplane Herritage Museum's C-GCWL RCAF NO. 2361. It was manufactured in 1942 by National Steel Car Company at Malton, Toronto under license from Westland Aircraft Corporation, England. I am also going to finish her in the current flying colors of the WWII Target Tow. I like to scratch build components so I started with the IP. I modified the kit IP.....

rsz_rg_4710_parts5.jpg

and modified it by sanding off the molded dials, added a plate with instruments made from photograph of the real IP and punched with a Waldron's punch. Switches made from wire were added, and with the help of a visor, hand painted the danger plaque.

Picture014.jpg

rsz_1picture_024.jpg

I then thought in this scale I could have some fun making my own details for the office.

Kit supplied...

Picture016.jpg

mine in progress.....box strap is lead foil from my wife's wine bottle, waldron's punch used for other details.

Picture020.jpg

Picture025.jpg

On one of the other panels, there is what looks like to be a material gun holster..........I was thinking of using tissue and white glue to replicate the leather. Think this will work? Any ideas would be welcomed!!

Will work some more on it this weekend

Brent

Getting allot of work done today and I am just taking a break and having a Newcastle Brown Ale along with a Monticristo Cigar.

I have finished scratch building all panels and they are primed and waiting for the zinc green. I am in the process of getting cockpit tub frames all together, primed, and ready for zinc green as well. I have also scratch built a set of headsets like I used when flying the Cessna 172 Skyhawk. I figured if I am making a bird from today it would be neat to see some modern gear with it. All while watching the military channel. They just had a smashing show on called Warbirds over Europe......so I have some drool to clean up off my table now.

I will take some pics and post them tomorrow.

Edited by RescueDiver

Hello Brent

WOW !!

I know I will enjoy this build as much as others.

I LOVE to see Bi-planes being build and to see this one as a Canadian

Warplane, well it warms the cokcles of MY HEART !

Looking good, neat start already.The DANGER Plaque is AWESOME as you can read the dials.. :salute:

WAY TO GO Brent !!

I'LL be back for more {I sound like Oliver Twist !} :thumbsup:

HOLMES :worship:

Well, life has been busy here for a little bit. Not to mention we just received another edit....OVER 21 inches in 35hrs of snow and it is still a blizzard warning outside!!! I have snow drifts 10 ft in the back yard and my drive..... :whistle::doh::explode::explode:

Oh well............

Here are some updated pics form the build.

I have the cockpit frames done and all scratchbuilt panels and dials have been added. Wiring has been added to the back side.

Picture027.jpg

The engine is about 75% done. I still need to add a few things and redo the paint once it is together. Your basic satin black dry brushed with Metalizers, washes, and Tamiya weathering masters added.

Picture030.jpg

All flight surfaces are mated, sanded and ready for priming me thinks.

Picture026.jpg

I am hoping to get some more done this weekend. I am also working on am F-14D for my step sister for when she comes to visit in May so I have 2 builds going.

I am really enjoying this Lysander......I have always loved 1/32, and I have a soft spot for this O'l girl.

Thanks for stopping by

Brent

Edited by RescueDiver

Well, I was enjoying this build until it was time to assemble to cockpit framing and such. What a pain in the :bandhead2:

One of the cross members is too short so I too it off, inserted the framing into the fuselage taped together and fiddled with it until it set up with the frame touching the opening. Now just to scratchbuild a cross member that fits.

Other than that canopy masked off and has the first layer of interior green.

Brent

Hello Brent

WOW !!

I know I will enjoy this build as much as others.

I LOVE to see Bi-planes being build and to see this one as a Canadian

Warplane, well it warms the cokcles of MY HEART !

HOLMES :worship:

BIPLANES !!!! :worship:

What on earth do you mean ???? Did you mean to say you love to see high-winged monoplanes being built???

just wonderin'

Tony

So here I am, spraying the lacquer and enamels on the canopy...it's going well. Looks good. Now, clean airbrush..q-tips.....thinner.....^&*^**(&%^#*&%^^*#(*$& drop airbrush needle on cement floor and bend tip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I sanded it smooth again....but I definitely lost some length on this one........... :angry::crying::soapbox::bandhead2::explode:

Edited by RescueDiver

Thanks for the kind words.

I love 1/32 scale......too bad my basement doesn't have room for it all!!!

I will post more pictures probably after x-mas.......at the mother in laws as our PC had an engine fire on takeoff and is rusting peacefully. Have to buy a whole new tower............ah well.

Hope you all have a great Christmas and new yrs

Brent

Ask Santa he might get you a new tower :pray:

Build is looking good

Santa was a good lad and helped with the finances towards the tower......... ;)

He also brought me an academy 1/72 B-17G............... :) ....along with some Vikings gear and SCUBA stuff.

I have the lysander canopy painted with the yellow and am waiting to install the main office seats and then closing up the fusalage.

Brent

Well, we have an update but still no way to upload pics. Still no tower........I am still taking pics though so I can paste them when the time comes.

As of now I have the cockpit installed, touchups done, and the fusalage is together. I am having a go at making my own clear lenses for the formation lights. If this works, I will drill out a small hole in the back of the bulb and color that to get a more realistic looking light. I do believe that all flying surfaces are ready for primer and will hopefully get paint on them as well as I have Mon off from work. It has been a long time since I have seen a model go together in a timely fashion so this build is making me pretty excited.

:)

Brent

Edited by RescueDiver