A 1/32, yes, I said 1/32 B-17G from WingScale!

Nice! But it would have been nice to have lap joints in 1/32 not just recessed lines. What's 1/48th scale now? the forgotten scale? New B-17 in 1/72 AND 1/32, someone must be working on a 1/48 one.

Edited by Tbolt
Nice! But it would have been nice to have lap joints in 1/32 not just recessed lines. What's 1/48th scale now? the forgotten scale? New B-17 in 1/72 AND 1/32, someone must be working on a 1/48 one.

I suspect that just as in the late '70's and '80's, when 48th scale was the new 72nd, that 32nd might be the new 48th. By that I mean there are literally dozens of great kits being released in 32nd and that scale has really taken off the past say 5 years or so.

In the late 60's, early 70's 72nd was king and you had little in the way of decent 48th models, then Monogram began turning out dozens of great kits (for their time) in 48th and Hasegawa, Tamiya, et al began following suit. Tamiya was always a player in the 32nd game, but with Trumpeters entry into that arena in a large way, it seems to have spurred kit manufacturers to really enter 32nd in a big way (no pun intended). I suspect that eventually something will give and one or two of of those scales will endure and prevail, if forced to guess I would have to say it would be 48th and 72nd, simply due to price points of 32nd kits. After all, how many of us could afford stash's with hundreds of 32nd models that cost around $200 on average? Just my two cents worth.

I suspect that just as in the late '70's and '80's, when 48th scale was the new 72nd, that 32nd might be the new 48th. By that I mean there are literally dozens of great kits being released in 32nd and that scale has really taken off the past say 5 years or so.

In the late 60's, early 70's 72nd was king and you had little in the way of decent 48th models, then Monogram began turning out dozens of great kits (for their time) in 48th and Hasegawa, Tamiya, et al began following suit. Tamiya was always a player in the 32nd game, but with Trumpeters entry into that arena in a large way, it seems to have spurred kit manufacturers to really enter 32nd in a big way (no pun intended). I suspect that eventually something will give and one or two of of those scales will endure and prevail, if forced to guess I would have to say it would be 48th and 72nd, simply due to price points of 32nd kits. After all, how many of us could afford stash's with hundreds of 32nd models that cost around $200 on average? Just my two cents worth.

Indeed, I've noticed this trend too. A lot of 32nd scale kits and in some cases it looks like that's the "debut" scale for some (e.g. what Trumpeter did with it's F-100 kits). I have a few 32nd scale kits (maybe 5 out of my stash of 350), but I typically avoid them because they're too big and too expensive. I build about 25 to 30 kits per year and even if I cut that in half and build 12 to 15, I'd run out of space (and money!) in a couple of months.

Not a bod looking kit but the first error that jumps out at me is the counter-rotating props. Note the the #1 and #2 engine props are pitched properly for clockwise rotation(from behind) whereas the #3 and #4 props are pitch to rotate counter-clockwise which is not correct. For a kit in this size and price range I would think they would get the prop rotation direction correct... :)

Ciao,

John

For a kit in this size and price range I would think they would get the prop rotation direction correct... :cheers:

If you check the aforementioned thread on LSP, you'll find that they're just placed on the model for the sake of completion, and that Martin's aware they're not correct.

Kev

If you check the aforementioned thread on LSP, you'll find that they're just placed on the model for the sake of completion, and that Martin's aware they're not correct.

Kev

Just the usual New kit premiere pickapart from these forums-it will continue to be so...

Regardless of scale preference, I commend Wingscale for tackling such an American icon in such Grandure-incredible!

Fascinating choice for a 1/32nd scale subject. :thumbsup:

I have decided to pass on the upcoming B-25 but will probably go for the B-26 when it comes.

Anyone know when the Marauder is planned for release, is it the first half of 2011? :unsure:

I know I have read it somewhere but can't find the information now, and the Wingscale website only show the B-25 and Meteor so far...

Cheers,

Anders

Kev

Thanks for the LSP thread link.

I would also like to say I didn't know it was a prerequisite to read the LSP thread before posting observations here. :rofl: Regardless it's good to know they are aware of the prop issue. It's too bad they rushed things and put those props on.

With those CCW props I wonder if they have a kit in the works using a British engine?

Cheers,

John

Just the usual New kit premiere pickapart from these forums-it will continue to be so...

Regardless of scale preference, I commend Wingscale for tackling such an American icon in such Grandure-incredible!

I didn't know that posting an obvious error was picking apart the kit. Is this no longer allowed here? <_<

Cheers,

John

You know, it's about time model making companies started actually listening to their customers instead of coming up with excuses why they CAN'T give us what we really want. The truth is this model should have come out years ago but companies don't really listen to us, they listen to marketing guys and lawyers with lots of excuses. This is a game changer, it proves anything can be done as long as there is a will and a market to bear it. So I hope the Tamagawahasegram people see this for what it is, a small company with rep for excellent work just fired a shot across the old guards bow. The next one is aimed for the water line. Congrats WingScale for listening to your customers, though I think none of us would dare to hope for such a lofty thing as THIS. I can't think of any other industry that treats customers like the modeling industry, like b@st@rd step children who should be greatful for whatever the model companies wanted to give us. Yeah, the big ones would placate us with marketing survey now and then, but only the MOST daring and undaunted of us would have even dared to imagine something of this magnitude. Now they have to start hearing us, or someone else will. It's LONG over due.

By the way this kit is still in the development stage ( released in Aug. 2011 with an expected retail of under $250) and thusly there is still time to work out things like props, rivets, etc. Close inspection of the pics posted on the Sprue Brothers site reveals no interiors are yet fitted to the example shown, hopes are high on LSP for a homerun with this one. Even if none of the concerns are addressed, the mere fact that an injection molded B-17G in 1/32 is being released borders on a minor miracle.

P.S. Anyone here notice it has the Cheyenne tail?

Edited by Expat Tomcat