Canadian pronunciation guide for Americans

It's also funny from coast to coast, Out here east of Winterpeg we call a Case of 24 beers 'A Two Four' or 'A Case' out West the call it a 'Flat' . Kokanee Beer only tastes good if it is brewed out west....... and Most refer to Moosehead as Moose Pee. Prefer Keith's. You can't buy a Case of Molson Canadian in Quebec but you can get Molson Export and Poutine is only good if you use the squeaky cheese curds with a little bit of liquid at the bottom of the package.

And to top it all off all Canadians call NewFoundlanders, Newfies with great admiration. Being one that has gone through the screetch ceremony I now know why there is water between the main land and the Rock.

:thumbsup:

It's also funny from coast to coast, Out here east of Winterpeg we call a Case of 24 beers 'A Two Four' or 'A Case' out West the call it a 'Flat' . Kokanee Beer only tastes good if it is brewed out west....... and Most refer to Moosehead as Moose Pee. Prefer Keith's. You can't buy a Case of Molson Canadian in Quebec but you can get Molson Export and Poutine is only good if you use the squeaky cheese curds with a little bit of liquid at the bottom of the package.

And to top it all off all Canadians call NewFoundlanders, Newfies with great admiration. Being one that has gone through the screetch ceremony I now know why there is water between the main land and the Rock.

:wub:

I had allot of Newfie's with me in 1st Bat PPCLI............ahhhh....the times we had!! Toughest SOB's I've ever met and proud to say that they were my friends!!

I actually did my basic out at the Cornhole in good O'l Nova Scotia! I remember the Sgt at the mess hall sending me to the back of the line because I asked for Scallops instead of saying scollops.....here I am from Vancouver going....*** did I do???

I think we all went for a swim in our full tans behind the mess hall after grad night.... :cheers:

Edited by RescueDiver
One of my favorite American groups is Zed Zed top. :thumbsup:

I've never heard it pronounced as " Zed Zed Top " here in Canuckistan.

It's an American band so it's pronounced " Zee Zee Top ".

Edited by dogsbody

It's an American band su it's pronounced " Zee Zee Top ".

Oh you are so old.....next thing you will say is be calm for 'Rush'...... I don't think so. :monkeydance:

Zed Zed - Top with the beards.... Ite

:rofl:

It's an American band su it's pronounced " Zee Zee Top ".

I think he intended it as a joke...

My brother and I often talk about zed zed top, and my son has picked up the pronunciation. We love to have fun with it, especially when my son is chatting on XBox Live with Americans. It's pretty funny when they finally catch on to what he means - reactions vary from guffaws to indignant 'that's not how it's pronounced!' from those who don't understand it's a joke.

ALF

No one mentioned 'gong show' yet - for example: every build of mine turns in to a complete gong show around the painting stage :woot.gif: I never heard that until I moved to Vancouver....

And why can't you make up your mind about the metric system?! Is my weight in pounds or kilos, and is my height in feet or meters? I was all set to go metric, but it was different with every person I talked to....

"Gong Show" is a term used a lot around here too (Alberta). I use it myself - typically to describe some of the projects I get stuck with.

The metric thing....yeah, that's a sore spot - lol. Basically....as long as the 'US and A' holds on to the imperial system, we here in Canada will forever be stuck at roughly 75% metric - 25% imperial. As a designer/drafter, almost 100% of my projects are done in imperial. Until a sheet of plywood is cut at 1200 mm x 2400 mm, I will never draw a house (or any other building) in metric. When I used to work in an Architect/Engineering Office, a lot of our projects were done in metric - and I hated every second of it. Having metric units for imperial cut materials.....arrrgghh!!

here in Bellingham we pick up CBC channel and there was a program last weekend about the worst drivers in Canada. Pretty entertaining, but I also learned that in addition the the Mezdaz that you folks drive, some also drive Chryzlerz. Whereas in the US we drive Maaaahzdaz and Chryssslers

• 3 months later...

OK, so this isn't really about pronunciation per se, but it does provide some insight into the Canadian psyche...

You know your country (and especially Quebec) is filled with hockey fans when... you reschedule the French-language pre-election Federal Leaders' Debate to avoid conflict with the Montreal Canadiens/Boston Bruins playoff game 1!!

Gotta love it - only in Canada. And for the record, there would have been absolutely no contest for my viewership if they had still been simultaneous. Go Habs Go!

Federal Election? Oh, yeah... that's right... seems to me I've heard something about that...

Meanwhile, let's talk about the matchups of Kostitsyn vs Chara, Sopel vs Lucic, Price vs Thomas...

ALF

That's not the matchup I really care about. Unfortunately I don't hold out much hope for Montreal vs Boston this year around. Especially with Hab's injury riddled roster.

Ryan Kesler vs Jonathan Toews on the other hand...

Edited by -Neu-

i could never get Ebbw vale here in brisbane. its pronounced ebbA vale. and Booval.... is Boovale if you please. I like canadian speak and customs. you guys are as relaxed as us Orstrayliens. zed zed top . yup get that. the one i liked is kawasaki released thier "ninja" brand of enginecycles in america instead of them being the GPz series..... i ride a Gee Pee Zeeeeeeeeee woooo hoooooo... thats the story i hear anyway....:thumbsup:

That's not the matchup I really care about. Unfortunately I don't hold out much hope for Montreal vs Boston this year around. Especially with Hab's injury riddled roster.

Ryan Kesler vs Jonathan Toews on the other hand...

I'll be watching that one as well! First game goes tonight... too bad it's 3 hrs later here in the East! I love watching the Canucks. My prediction is Canucks/Capitals in the final, with the Canucks winning in Game 5 at home. Sound like a plan?

ALF

I'll be watching that one as well! First game goes tonight... too bad it's 3 hrs later here in the East! I love watching the Canucks. My prediction is Canucks/Capitals in the final, with the Canucks winning in Game 5 at home. Sound like a plan?

ALF

I like it. Strangely enough, it will be the closest I'll have ever been to a champion professional sports franchise (thanks to the massive egg-laying my Seahawks did in Super Bowl XL).

'Cascadian' solidarity and all that... :D

I get the CBC Channel 9 here outside of Detroit and love it. Saturday night, always have a double-header to watch (US Baseball lingo to describe THE Canadian institution that is) Hockey Night In Canada!

Plus, since we are so close to Windsor, and the Ambassador Bridge, we get a constant influx of 'Canada'.

Another one I like is shed-ool vs. scked-ule for schedule. Someone already called out prow-cess vs praw-cess.

Edited by IrishGreek