1/48 Hasegawa F-104G

Started to inspect the kit and aftermarket bits and found out the Aires pit is missing both canopy jettison explosive charges.

5230658405_86e440026d_b.jpg

Given the history of the German F-104, I think missing these crucial charges is no way forward. Contacted the store and they said they will ship me a replacement when they have stock, so I guess their reputation is riding on this one. I'll probably end up scratch building these as their shape is not that hard, but I guess I'll have to be careful about scale. <start rant>This is probably the worst part about these detailed cockpits made in resin; most of the time detailed is lost just through shipping. I wouldn't mind seeing resin manfacturers not chuck every single bit of resin in the one bag and I think they should heed note with respect to the current standard in injection kit that not all things should be stuffed into the one bag. It ruins clear parts; it ruins delicate parts; it ruins resin detail. <end rant/>

I'll probably be washing the parts today and letting them dry, so unless you want nudie pics of them in the tub, I guess my next update will be in a couple days.

Edited by Zotted
Contacted the store and they said they will ship me a replacement when they have stock,

:( Zee, said "them" were goin' to ship ya a replacement for just those two missin' canopy jettison explosive charges or the hole set...?

so unless you want nudie pics of them in the tub, I guess my next update will be in a couple days.

Nooooiiiceee...!!! Nudie pics of those hot resin bits, all sweaty 'n' covered in oil, while soakin' in the wuta; me likes! :D

Or just "them" pics in pink cotton undies?

Cheers, Zee!

Unc²

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update. The aftermarket bits were washed and dried and placed in a bits box so I don't lose anything to the carpet monster. (Sorry no naked shots, I do have one of them drying in the wettest summer Melbourne has had the last five years).

5270024519_3cd3d36a73_z.jpg

Some before surgery pics before major plastic surgery begins.

5270026551_391724ef96_z.jpg

5270634706_dff0db540f_z.jpg

Some after surgery pics (well rough dry fit), swelling (misfits) will need to be monitored.

Surprisingly, the backend, which includes the engine bay and wheel bays, fit fairly well, although you don't really get to see it due to the dodgey picture.

5270029071_6b1ab38d22_z.jpg

However, the front end will defintely need some more plastic surgery. A trim here and there should fix the fit issues, which mainly arise due to the cockpit. Should have guessed that Aires and Czech Master would not fit well together.

5270637348_fedd4300b0_z.jpg

5270027711_1643e7c2c3_z.jpg

At least length and height wise all the pieces fit well. I read somewhere that the front wheel well and cockpit were impossible to fit together but i think I can get away with it by shaving more off the cockpit and kit part wheel well. The avionics bay will have to be put in last, as I forsee more movement after I fit in the front wheelbay and cockpit.

5270029539_188db921eb_z.jpg

5270638682_c47f245eab_z.jpg

Edited by Zotted

WOW :)

With all that surgery I wonder if the patient is going to survive.

Great Start :thumbsup:

I just pull up a chair, pour a cold one and sit back and enjoy myself.

This is going to be fun to follow.

/Bosse

Weather wasn't good today and not so good for the week. Instead of the planned priming and more test fit I thought I would get a few PE folds done for the ejection seat. I usually leave the seat till last.

5273416210_9bfd642e0c_z.jpg

I misplaced the middle Y belt so need to fix that. Either way these PE belts are damn hard to get to look realistic, they are too rigid and getting them to look naturally sagged is hard (any tips?). I was impressed with my folding of the HUD bracket though, but not so much with my photography.

5273422162_0b18107331_z.jpg

I will need to improve the gear, a 4.0 Megapixel camera with no macro mode is a killer.

Edited by Zotted
Weather wasn't good today and not so good for the week. Instead of the planned priming and more test fit I thought I would get a few PE folds done for the ejection seat. I usually leave the seat till last.

5273416210_9bfd642e0c_z.jpg

I misplaced the middle Y belt so need to fix that. Either way these PE belts are damn hard to get to look realistic, they are too rigid and getting them to look naturally sagged is hard (any tips?). I was impressed with my folding of the HUD bracket though, but not so much with my photography.

5273422162_0b18107331_z.jpg

I will need to improve the gear, a 4.0 Megapixel camera with no macro mode is a killer.

Yeah I used to have a 3 meg pixel and well lets just say from a ways away you could see perfectly, up close "FORGET ABOUT IT" it sucked bad!

• 6 months later...

Just got back for the winter break and since its raining, windy and apparently earthquakes galore out here in Melbourne, what better time than to dust off the old model. Wish I could bring my stash and tools along with me to college...

Anyways finished the back end internals. The engine bay. I think most of the black brown pigment I added will be blown away after a fixative/dull coat is spray.

5907446971_232f7321ea.jpg

The Aires burner can turned out alright. I tried to get that green tinge look inside depending on what angle you look at it. To illustrate the point take a look at two different shots. Again excuse the dust but I think most of the pigment will fall off by final assembly stage. If not we will go in and clean up with a trusty cotton bud.

5907450835_0cf97dc7f4.jpg5908008576_5259368330.jpg

Next up is the cockpit. I've finished most of it but I am still not happy with alot of it. Need to scratch build some pipes at the front. Once that is done, oh gosh it will be time to close the fuselage and I am dreading fitting in all that resin at the front

end.

Edited by Zotted