Sea Vixen D.3 - "deep cream" or yellow??

I know the drone scheme calls for "deep cream" on top. I guess I've never seen any "deep" cream that came out of a cow, so I'm not sure what color it would be. Every photo I've seen of an RAF drone however, clearly shows pretty bright yellow on top.

Anybody got even a remotely close FS595 match to the RAF colo(u)r?

J

• 2 weeks later...

The Sea Vixen D3, like the Meteor U15 and U16 was Golden Yellow BS 356. There's a long trail of mistaken references on this aircraft colours, even the recent Model Alliance sheet got it wrong.

The only case I know of where the official Drone scheme of Deep cream on top was applied is for the Fireflies (U8 and U9). Others may know better...

Fabio

Try getting in touch with Stephen Prior about this. He is a member here and is doing a build article on the Airfix Sea Vixen over on Brit Modeller and intends finishing it as a drone. He was talking to me about this at our last club meeting in Glasgow so he should be able to help. We Brits do have a scheme applied to experimental and test airframes commonly referred to as "Raspberry Ripple" which is a Hi-Vis pinkish-red and cream (definitely NOT yellow) scheme. This MAY be what Model Alliance are referring to. Humbrol 103 Matt Cream is the best match to my eye, 74 Matt Linen would also be a contender but I feel is a bit too yellow and 71 Satin Oak is a bit too pinkish.

Try getting in touch with Stephen Prior about this. He is a member here and is doing a build article on the Airfix Sea Vixen over on Brit Modeller and intends finishing it as a drone. He was talking to me about this at our last club meeting in Glasgow so he should be able to help. We Brits do have a scheme applied to experimental and test airframes commonly referred to as "Raspberry Ripple" which is a Hi-Vis pinkish-red and cream (definitely NOT yellow) scheme. This MAY be what Model Alliance are referring to. Humbrol 103 Matt Cream is the best match to my eye, 74 Matt Linen would also be a contender but I feel is a bit too yellow and 71 Satin Oak is a bit too pinkish.

No, the issue is that in the 1940s (early 50s?) drones *were* painted deep cream and red. But after that point, they were Golden Yellow and red, and MA just plain got it wrong. Raspberry Ripple (with which I'm *very* familiar) is nothing whatever like the drone scheme.

The Sea Vixen D.3 drone was most assuredly bright yellow and red.

J

The Sea Vixen D.3 drone was most assuredly bright yellow and red.

This.

MA rely far too much on simply copying existing - unverified and often incorrect - references.

And "raspberry ripple" is red/white/blue, not pinkish red/cream!!