My wife has told me that I was obsessing (AS IF!!) over my other project, so I decided to get the modelers block.... um.... un blocked by doing something straight out of the box and just for fun. So I broke out my Moebius Models 1/32 Viper Mk.II from the new BSG.

Started with the Pilot..

3b58f40c.jpg

c6ed3113.jpg

I really enjoyed painting this figure. Was fun and got to try out some new techniques. Painted with enamels in olive drab for the flight suit and highlighted with yellow by dry brushing... Followed up with a black enamel wash.

Followed with the traditional Cockpit. Dials are all decals with the main colour of the cockpit being Gunship Grey. I decided that as I was going to pose her in flight that no one would notice that the dial decals are out of register (Fun remember) and went with the kit stuff. No PE here!!

423ddf23.jpg

And Pilot in his office...

6766daa9.jpg

ab997ce8.jpg

8dc9eb4b.jpg

ff852d32.jpg

Hope you like it, I am really enjoying this one!!

Cheers all!

Nimrod

Done some more on the Viper over the last week...

Cockpit and driver installed..

8aa28598.jpg

Engine intakes fitted...

89b13995.jpg

Front intake cleaned up and partially painted...

506c7ae2.jpg

Had to fix some sink marks on these....

5c0dcb1e.jpg

Got a nasty gap to fill now though..

165ca7e5.jpg

All in all a very nice and easy kit to build, especialy with the sanding as there are no panel lines to speak of!!!!!!!!!

77a7205b.jpg

More to come..

Edited by nimrod77
  • 2 weeks later...

Done a little more and am ready for paint.

I added some oxy hoses from guitar string behind the ejection seat.

e1d1c439.jpg

I had a hard time filling the seams along the upper engine cowl....

8bac5ee9.jpg

cd34e4ff.jpg

I decided to drill out the reaction thrusters.

69fd40bb.jpg

c74d4c3a.jpg

5560bef0.jpg

For big gaps, I go with either Milliput or Aves Apoxie Sculpt. Both are two part Epoxy putties and they sculpt like clay. They dry rock hard and usually key into surfaces really nice. Plus, you can smooth them with fingers dipped in water (really good for removing excess from seams).

I did a little more.

I have glued on the engines and canopy...

f8176905.jpg

I have painted the canopy black to give the inside a nice black frame..

33ec2d37.jpg

And now I have primed the whole thing in Mr Surfacer 500. Gota love Mr Surfacer!

b9f68be7.jpg

dc2b73b8.jpg

More to come, just gotta get rid of a couple of scratches and average seams around the engines...

What did you use as a guide for the reaction thrusters when you drilled them out? I want to do the same but my drilling skills suck. Of course my daughter got me a nice Dremel vise for Christmas I need to break in...

What did you use as a guide for the reaction thrusters when you drilled them out? I want to do the same but my drilling skills suck. Of course my daughter got me a nice Dremel vise for Christmas I need to break in...

Just the good ole Mk1 eyeball, a ruler, and a pencil. I used the decals and placement guide to get the spacing, sizes, and locations then drilled using a pin vice.

HTH

Quick update.

Painted her in insignia white and then spent tonight masking her up for her Crimson stripes. PITA, but at least it's done now. More paint tomorrow.

dd48ddf4.jpg

11672507.jpg

Bottom..

c72cc6c6.jpg

I actually think that it looks kinda cool with the inverted yellow stripes :)

More to come..

And now the stripes are on! Copied the decals for the sizing and shape, done in insignia red as per the kit instructions. Had to fix a few little errors where the masking hadn't taken properly, and still have a few more to fix. Nothing a brush won't fix though!

bd2b2eb9.jpg

c66d1439.jpg

b87fbb72.jpg

More to come!

Cool doing one too, but can't show as it is for an online competition, will show after it is done.

After masking up my intakes, it has occurred to me that I would have been better off painting the intakes BEFORE I fitted them to the fuselage WAY back at the start of the build. Would have made it easier to paint them, then just masked them off for the rest of the build/paint process. Just a heads up to you TonyT and anyone considering building one of these.

HTH!

I have masked off the Metallic area's and decided to paint them with three different shades. Aluminum plate for the canopy, Gun metal for the engines, Dark Anodic gray for the front and side intakes and side equipment areas on the nose.

029b97ad.jpg

2de1d081.jpg

And here is the end result :)

092b0fa5-1.jpg

e6eb2451.jpg

a9999936.jpg

I am really happy with it now! Just a few touch ups to do.

I will wait for a day or so to let it cure as it is very humid here at the moment before Future and decals :P

More to come :beer4:

Mate - this looks fantastic! I have one of these waiting in my drawer to be built. I think its going to be a while before I start mine, but I hope my one has as sharp a lines as yours.

Are you going to weather it into looking battle scarred, just used a bit or brand new? Any which way - you've done an awesome job on your Viper!!!! :D

I'm really looking forward to seeing the completed machine!

Edited by The Madhatter

I have tried a little airbrush weathering for the first time and I must say I did enjoy it :whistle:

I painted on the scorch marks around the RCS thrusters with black and Tamiya Smoke.I also dirtied up the airframe a bit with the same smoke colour.

96491374.jpg

1c889e58.jpg

392e3805.jpg

I'm going for something between this..

kg_cg_viper_mk2-006.jpg

And this..

kg_cg_viper_mk2-002.jpg

On to clear and decals, then more weathering :wacko:

Edited by nimrod77
As everyone else has said, looking very nice - great job on the thrusters, too.
I'm going for something between this..

kg_cg_viper_mk2-006.jpg

And this..

kg_cg_viper_mk2-002.jpg

Looks great so far. Im getting the urge to get mine started. Id like to do the viper shown on the profile you posted here, # 0223NC, Anyone know if these markings are available on the aftermarket.