Hello everyone,

I've joined the group build a little late but I'm going to try and build a CF-18 in Balkan Rats markings. This will be my first time participating in a group build, first in progress topic, and first time using photo etch...so we'll see how things go....haha

For this build I'll be using

- 1/48 Hasegawa F/A-18C kit converted to an A model

- Leading Edge Decals (48.62)

- Eduard BIG ED F/A-18C photo etch set

I've learned a lot lurking these forums and I'm eager to try out new techniques on this build. At the end of the build hopefully I'll have a model that kind of resembles a CF-18 :coolio:

Anyway, lets get on with it.

I'm not sure if the Balkan Rat aircraft had the spotlight installed, but I've decided to model the spotlight because I think it looks interesting.

I'm using a MV lens for the spotlight.

CF-183.jpg

Here is the back of the spotlight enclosure. The hole in the back of the enclosure is there so I can stick a little LED through it.

CF-182.jpg

And here's a quick test of the LED setup.

CF-184.jpg

Thats it for now, I'm waiting on the photo etch set to arrive before I really get into the build.

Edited by Spit1A
I'm not sure if the Balkan Rat aircraft had the spotlight installed, but I've decided to model the spotlight because I think it looks interesting.

I'm using a MV lens for the spotlight.

Welcome to the world of GBs and in-progress! You sure have chosen an interesting subject with lots of AM goodies.

I just looked through some pics I have of the Aviano deployment (circa 1998), and have seen a combination of some with and some without ID lights.

BTW, I love the way that light looks. I hate to rain on the LED parade, though, but the ID light can't work on the ground (only weight off wheels) - but it would certainly look cool lit up.

ALF

Thanks for the comments guys!

Alf, thanks for the info on the ID light. Do you know why the ID light can't be turned on while the aircraft is on the ground?

I'm willing to sacrifice some accuracy to have a working light though! I've made some progress on the light.

Here the LED is installed and wired up.

CF-185.jpg

The wires will be routed along the side of the cockpit tub and down to underneath the speed brake. I'll install the switch and battery under the speed brake so I can access them easily.

CF-186.jpg

A quick test of the light. It works! Looks alright.

CF-187.jpg

And another shot in the dark.

CF-188.jpg

That's all for now. The photo etch set arrived the other day. Everything is so small! I'm glad I bought a photo etch bender as well.

Cool work

ive been whanting to set up lights in one of my builds but cant find any good tutorial

keep up the progress

Cheers

neo

Yeah I know, I'm in the same boat with a project I've got on hold till I figure out all this power stuff simplified. Without all the math.

Alf, thanks for the info on the ID light. Do you know why the ID light can't be turned on while the aircraft is on the ground?

There is an electrical interconnect in the CF-18 between the ID light function and a weight on wheels switch on the right main landing gear. In other words, even if you turn on the switch in the cockpit (it is mounted at the extreme left of the left throttle lever), the light cannot work when weight is sensed on the right main gear.

Another fun fact is that the light is aimed 10 degrees up and 15 degrees forward from sideways.

Very neat job on the wiring setup, by the way.

ALF

There is an electrical interconnect in the CF-18 between the ID light function and a weight on wheels switch on the right main landing gear. In other words, even if you turn on the switch in the cockpit (it is mounted at the extreme left of the left throttle lever), the light cannot work when weight is sensed on the right main gear.

Another fun fact is that the light is aimed 10 degrees up and 15 degrees forward from sideways.

Very neat job on the wiring setup, by the way.

ALF

But hum does that mean that if a the ground crew want to do maintenance on it and test their work the have to jack up the plane or take the bird up for a try !! :blink:

Edited by Neo

I think he was asking why the light isn't operational on the ground. Is it maybe due in part because it could cause burns if accidentally turned on? Isn't it something like a million candle power or something? That could burn skin pretty dang quick if you put your hand close to the beam.

I think he was asking why the light isn't operational on the ground. Is it maybe due in part because it could cause burns if accidentally turned on? Isn't it something like a million candle power or something? That could burn skin pretty dang quick if you put your hand close to the beam.

Normal aircraft lights are really bright..... We won't marshal an aircraft in with lights on.

I've been flashed while on pushback in a tug..... not good. Usually get a cab ride home a trip to the Dr. and a couple of days off until the spots go away.

So I understand the safety measure.

Most of the experienced guys don't look straight ahead but side to side in the Tug when driving as pilots have been known to have their finger slip and hit the switch. I've had one pilot call me at home to apologize.

But hum does that mean that if a the ground crew want to do maintenance on it and test their work the have to jack up the plane or take the bird up for a try !! :woot.gif:

Not really - they have a little box that lies to the aircraft, and can selectively change the readings of the Weight on Wheels switches to test various systems.

In response to Tilt's comment, I suspect there might be a cooling concern for the ID light on ground. It is 600,000 candlepower, so it must get pretty hot. The worst thing about the ID light is that it is almost impossible to tell if you have it on, especially during the day. There is no cockpit indication (i.e. warning light in the cockpit, etc) of it being on. The only way to tell is the switch position (which is easily overlooked, given that it is out of the pilot's normal scan pattern in the cockpit), or seeing the light beam as it touches something at night (or reflects off clouds or precipitation).

So for this build, you can say the groundcrew had used the "prox box" (proximity switch box) to test the ID light on ground...

ALF

Not really - they have a little box that lies to the aircraft, and can selectively change the readings of the Weight on Wheels switches to test various systems.

In response to Tilt's comment, I suspect there might be a cooling concern for the ID light on ground. It is 600,000 candlepower, so it must get pretty hot. The worst thing about the ID light is that it is almost impossible to tell if you have it on, especially during the day. There is no cockpit indication (i.e. warning light in the cockpit, etc) of it being on. The only way to tell is the switch position (which is easily overlooked, given that it is out of the pilot's normal scan pattern in the cockpit), or seeing the light beam as it touches something at night (or reflects off clouds or precipitation).

So for this build, you can say the groundcrew had used the "prox box" (proximity switch box) to test the ID light on ground...

ALF

Alf is correct about the wow box. And we had to be really careful with it.

As for the light, that is exactly the reason, it has to do with the cooling. When we changed the light we would only turn the light on for a short period of time or we'd get a sun-tan.

Thanks for the comments guys!

ive been whanting to set up lights in one of my builds but cant find any good tutorial

Neo & Emvar, I just found this LED tutorial that may help get you started. I'm using LEDs from Miniatronics that came with resistors. I can't find the voltage and amperage specs for these particular LEDs so I'm just going with what Miniatronics recommends (3V, 470ohm resistor). Although I'm pretty sure a 470ohm resistor is overkill in this case... Anyone know anything about these Miniatronics lights?

Thanks for all the additional info on the ID light. I guess I'll have to go with Alf's explanation as to why the light works on the ground. One thing I enjoy about modeling is learning new things about each aircraft. I'm glad I joined this GB as there are so many people here who have flown or worked with the actual aircraft!

yeah but its confusing since its the same one as when you leave the keys in the ignition

:jaw-dropping:

Careful, Neo - let's stay away from potentially classified information. We shouldn't let the enemy know that the keys to the CF-18 are shaped like a Canada Post mailbox key - and they come with a Tim's card attached!

ALF

Yeah.....it's called a wingman. It goes, "hey dingle-nutz......guess who's buy'n the beer??!!"
yeah but its confusing since its the same one as when you leave the keys in the ignition
Careful, Neo - let's stay away from potentially classified information. We shouldn't let the enemy know that the keys to the CF-18 are shaped like a Canada Post mailbox key - and they come with a Tim's card attached!

ALF

:jaw-dropping: ;) :wub: :lol: :lol:

Just a quick update today. Been spending most of my time getting the small parts ready for priming but I did get the work associated with the LED done.

Got the battery/switch assembly done...

CF-189.jpg

and wired up.

CF-1810.jpg

It looks like I'll have pretty good access to the battery and switch through the speed brake once everything is done.

CF-1811.jpg

Thats all for now, thanks for looking!

Hi,

Just a quick question. Does anyone know if there should be a slight overhang between the back of the cockpit tub and the flat portion behind the ejection seat?

Is this ok, or do I need to sand it flush?

CF-1812.jpg

Thanks!

Just checked on mine and if you push the pit al little more foward you will see that it snugs in nicely leaving it flush

Just one question for you since you have all that nice led setup you really should add some nav lights too just add one more led and run some fiber optic wire from it

Cheers

Neo