Just checked on mine and if you push the pit al little more foward you will see that it snugs in nicely leaving it flush

Just one question for you since you have all that nice led setup you really should add some nav lights too just add one more led and run some fiber optic wire from it

Cheers

Neo

Hi Neo, thanks for checking. After a little bit of work I have it so that the bottom edge of the flat part is inline with the top of the cockpit tub, but there is still a gap between the parts....But the photo etch parts I have actually cover up the gap, so I guess I'll go with that.

As for fibre optic wires for the nav lights, that would definitely be cool, but I don't think I'm gonna do that for this build. Right now I'm happy with just the ID light. But maybe the next model I make I'll try fibre optics.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little update today, but first of all, a belated Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone!

I've been slowly working on some cockpit details and getting used to working with photo etch.

Replaced the kit shelf or flat area behind the ejection seat with photo etch parts. I really like the look of the mesh over the equipment bay when compared to the kit part. I cut holes in the photo etch around the mesh part so that I can pose the canopy open and closed.

CF-1816.jpg

Here is the rear part of the canopy with some photo etch and some wires for detail.

CF-1815.jpg

Here's the instrument panel. I have mixed feelings on the colour photo etch. Love all the little details that I would never be able to paint by hand, but I don't like some of the colours.

CF-1814.jpg

Here is left and right side of the ejection seat spruced up with the photo etch. I think I went a little crazy with the paint chipping, but I kind of like the look.

CF-1813.jpg

Finally, the cockpit tub all done.

CF-1817.jpg

Thanks for looking!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, the build is going slowly but surely. Here's an update on my progress so far.

Got to try out the 'dipping the intake in some white paint' technique that I've seen other people to here. It worked pretty well!

CF-1818.jpg

Adding some photo etch to the landing gear bays.

CF-1819.jpg

CF-1820.jpg

Added some brake lines and other lines to the landing gear

CF-1821.jpg

CF-1822.jpg

Cockpit tub installed in the fuselage. I haven't glued the seat down yet. I think I'll leave it out till the very end.

CF-1824.jpg

CF-1825.jpg

CF-1826.jpg

Gluing the front part of the canopy down, and using my fancy dancy lego building jig! Another great tip I've learned from lurking these forums.

CF-1827.jpg

Engine exhausts and nozzles painted

CF-1828.jpg

...continued in the next post....

Thanks Tilt!

Got a little bit more done today.

Added the cover for the nose cannon. I drilled a little hole in it as well.

CF-1830.jpg

Added a little protrusion and some holes around the ID light.

CF-1831.jpg

Got the vertical stabilizers on! It's starting to look like an airplane now.

CF-1832.jpg

Finally, look at that giant gap between the front of the canopy/windshield and the fuselage! And I thought I was being so careful with this build! :lol:

Oh well, time to get the putty out. The canopy actually still matches up with the windshield pretty well. I guess I won't be taking many pictures of this model from the right side...

CF-1833.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Thanks guys!

I just had the exact same problem with mine i found that the HUD was hitting the canopy so i bent it back a little and it went into place

Neo, I had another look at it this morning and you're right, it looks like the HUD is the problem. I should have checked that before gluing it down!

Yeah that hud was a paint in my %#@ i folded the 2 pe the same way and when i tried to bend one back the right way it broke in 2 the same thing happed when i bent back the pins that hold the glass supergluing them back into place was an eye staining experience

Depending on the glue you use you might be able to unstick you canopy

Yeah that hud was a paint in my %#@ i folded the 2 pe the same way and when i tried to bend one back the right way it broke in 2 the same thing happed when i bent back the pins that hold the glass supergluing them back into place was an eye staining experience

Depending on the glue you use you might be able to unstick you canopy

Wow, I can't imagine trying to reattach those little tabs to the frame.

Unfortunately I used 5 min epoxy. I've been toying with the idea of trying to slowly pry the windshield off, but I suspect I'll end up just cracking it if I do that. Might be better if I just leave it as is.

On the bright side, I can use this mistake to justify building another Hornet at some point down the line!

You guys are both more patient than I am. I hate the PE parts on this HUD - I've built about 5 of these kits, and curse every time. The HUD definitely sits high, and makes it tough to get the canopy to sit down.

I think a little putty on the right side is your best option - it won't show that much that the windscreen is at an angle.

ALF

Thanks guys,

It's nice to know I'm not the only one who has had problems with this area of the kit.

So I decided to throw caution to the wind and try to gently pry the windshield off. And with only a little bit of force the whole thing just popped off! I think it helped that the plastic parts were smooth and already had a coat of paint on them. I think the epoxy just bonded to the paint so everything came off really easy! :blink:

Here is the model after removing the windshield.

CF-1834.jpg

To me it looked like the thick HUD glass parts were causing the problem so I removed the kit parts and cut out some parts out of clear overhead sheet. I'm pretty happy with how they look. They look a little bit too thin, but I think the kit parts are a little thick.

CF-1835.jpg

And now the windshield fits!!

CF-1836.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Thanks! The new 'glass' was made from clear overhead sheet. I think it can also be called transparency film.

Great idea! Nice and easy to work with, and could be useable for stuff like the ID light cover as well... Well done.

ALF

Thanks everyone!

Another nice thing about using overhead slides is that they are sheets of plastic that fit in a printer so it's easy to print patterns on them.

Sometimes I print out camouflage masks or patterns for small parts on them.

I have a quick question about the vertical stabilizer stiffener plates on CF-18s. See the pic below

23.jpg

Does anyone know if they were installed on the aircraft by the time they were in the Balkans? Or did it vary depending on the airplane? I'm hoping to model aircraft 188795, so if anyone knows if this particular airplane had them installed at the time that would be great.

Thanks!

Thanks everyone!

Another nice thing about using overhead slides is that they are sheets of plastic that fit in a printer so it's easy to print patterns on them.

Sometimes I print out camouflage masks or patterns for small parts on them.

I have a quick question about the vertical stabilizer stiffener plates on CF-18s. See the pic below

23.jpg

Does anyone know if they were installed on the aircraft by the time they were in the Balkans? Or did it vary depending on the airplane? I'm hoping to model aircraft 188795, so if anyone knows if this particular airplane had them installed at the time that would be great.

Thanks!

Sorry, I don't know for sure, especially about 795.

I have squinted at all the pics I have from that deployment, but they are lower resolution and difficult to make out.

The stiffener plates definitely vary from aircraft to aircraft. I have seen some with 4 installed (inside and outside left and right stabs), while some have one or even none. Those who have them tend to have 2 to 4 on average...

ALF