My first atempt at Profiling

That's fantastic!!!.........IMHO........T'ain't nothin to improve!!!!. Ya almost caught me for a second I was trying to remember if I'd seen that nose art anywhere.

Thanks for the imput. The nose art is ALL fictious, including the serial number, which is for a Beech YT-34-BH Mentor. The Shark Mouth originally had NO tooth where the gold tooth now sits. It was my wifes idea. Again, thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Both of those are awesome! The only thing I'd add is working on the NMF finish (something I'm currently doing) and perhaps the high lights and shading of the fuselage got get the right shape. At the moment it looks a little flat at the moment.

D

Edited by Damian

One thing you should emphasize on your Sabre is the area of the fuselage where the horizontal stabilizer mounts. It bulges out to cover the hydraulic rams for the all-flying tail, so you have to render that on your side view or the area will look too flat.

f86db.jpg

The tip of the cover for the gun ranging radar on the top of the intake is more rounded in profile than you show it.

F-86_1.jpg

I know from personal experience how hard it is to find a totally accurate drawing of the F-86; they all mess up in one area or another.

Great first profile. :jaw-dropping:

Pete

That is some great profile artwork. Just a couple of comments, if I can

1. I think the tip of the nose above the intake is a little pointy. I believe it should be a little more rounded

2. Is there any way to lighten up the colouring on the fuselage? It looks more grey than natural metal.

• 3 weeks later...

that´s not bad. Try and look around the web for the ArmadrilloUSAF font (made to the standards of the official USAF font)...that would suit your great profiles !

Making NM finish is very hard, and i´m not sure you are quite there yet, but well underway ! try and look around the web for photo reference on NM finished aircrafts and simply try and copy that. I found that a good way to work is to use many many layers, then you can always remove shades and highlights, or perhaps just increase or decrease opasity of the layers.

all just friendly advices

that´s not bad. Try and look around the web for the ArmadrilloUSAF font (made to the standards of the official USAF font)...that would suit your great profiles !

Making NM finish is very hard, and i´m not sure you are quite there yet, but well underway ! try and look around the web for photo reference on NM finished aircrafts and simply try and copy that. I found that a good way to work is to use many many layers, then you can always remove shades and highlights, or perhaps just increase or decrease opasity of the layers.

all just friendly advices

Thanks...I have ArmadilloUSAF Font. I saw your Cutlass....Awesome rendering of an all-metal skin. Maybe you can give me some pointers on "how to" get a better metal surface...Pete

Sure ! i would be happy to try and give you some pointers for a NM skin.

First of all: The Cutlass was made in a 3d application, so the workflow is very different than in 2d. However, i have attached a sample of my last 2d profile which also happens to be in NM finish.

What i have found to be the best workflow for me, is to evaluate your shades and highlights by removing in the outline layer and leave the shades and highlights. if the shape of the aircraft is completly evident, without the outlines, then you are off to a good start.

NM finish is, as i said before, very hard to get right. The way i do it, is to add a fairly dark shade to the top of the aircraft. Then i add a darker shade to the bottom of the fuselage, and then ease the shade near the very bottom of the aircraft. this is to give the impression of a reflection of the ground/clouds. Also try and make the rivets and panellines 3d by adding a bevel to those layers.

This was just a few pointers, but you are more than welcome to contact me again if you find the need for further assistance (webmaster@aircraftprofiles.dk) also try sign up to simmerspaintshop.com , there´s many very talented profile artists, all very willing to help !

F-105-sample13.jpg

That's one nice piece of artwork you've completed. I don't think I could pull off what you've done. As you've asked for suggestions on improving the outcome, I concur with two of the suggestions already brought forward and I have another of my own.

1. The lip for the radar ranging gunsight should be rounder and not as pointed as depicted.
  2. The colour for the NMF is too dark but you've already started your attempts to remedy that.
  3. In my opinion, the dimensions of the canopy cover appear to improper. It appears that the height of the bubble is too high and it doesn't appear long enough. Here is a shot of a Sabre 6 here in Ottawa for reference purposes.

LeftFront.jpg

Do you think you could replicate this scheme?

DSC_0015-4.jpg

Great work.

Mike

That's one nice piece of artwork you've completed. I don't think I could pull off what you've done. As you've asked for suggestions on improving the outcome, I concur with two of the suggestions already brought forward and I have another of my own.

1. The lip for the radar ranging gunsight should be rounder and not as pointed as depicted.
  2. The colour for the NMF is too dark but you've already started your attempts to remedy that.
  3. In my opinion, the dimensions of the canopy cover appear to improper. It appears that the height of the bubble is too high and it doesn't appear long enough. Here is a shot of a Sabre 6 here in Ottawa for reference purposes.

LeftFront.jpg

DSC_0015-4.jpg

Great work.

Thanks...I think the canopy is correct length but looks shorter because of height of canopy bubble. I wioll try to correct. BTW, can you get better details on tail markings and I will get AC done for yopu..Thanks, Pete

Mike

LeftFront.jpg

DSC_0015-4.jpg

Great work.

Thanks...I think the canopy is correct length but looks shorter because of height of canopy bubble. I wioll try to correct. BTW, can you get better details on tail markings and I will get AC done for yopu..Thanks, Pete

Mike

Pete,

Here's a copy of a photo of the decal sheet I used. If that doesn't help, the Indian head depicted was used by the McColl-Frontenac Petroleum Company. If you Google McColl-Frontenac Indian Head you can find scads of photos.

DSC_0011-4.jpg

This was the Sabre my uncle was flying when he was killed on 09 June 53 in France. You can see his name in script on the canopy rail; F/O J.G.A. 'Guy' Cloutier.

If you could do one up, that would be neat to see.

Thanks.

Mike