Like to Find RAF roundels in 1/48 scale

anyone have some extra RAF roundels, like 6?

Doing a fortress III for the B-17 Group Build...thought I'd ask.

Do you know which types you need and what size (the original 1-1 size) ?

I have some sheets with various roundel types in various styles and sizes. I tend to use all the fighter sized ones, but i don't use the bomber ones, so I probably have some spares I could send along.

Otherwise, for a 1/48th bomber you could could easily cut them out of tape with a circle cutter and paint them.

Matt

Which style of Roundel ?

The A/A1 are the red/white/blue and red/white/blue/yellow with the wider white ring (same width as the blue)

The B type is the normal upper wing red/blue

The C/C1 are the later war red/white/blue and red/white/blue/yellow with the very narrow white ring

RAF Roundel styles

Cheers,

Matt

Looks like i need 2 C1 bomber varient for the Fuselage and 2 type B's for the upper wings. My refs show no markings on the underside of the wing.

Thanks for the link BTW, had no idea there were so many types!

Edited by Shawn M

I have a bunch of the B's in different sizes.

I have a couple of sheets of either C or C1, I forget.

So, the next thing is to figure out the correct sizes.

I'll look to see when I get home if any of the sheets specifically mention the Fort III to say what size the markings were on it, but it could be a pretty obscure aircraft to be on the list.

The roundel size varied from aircraft to aircraft.

I found a couple of plans, but the pictures are too small to read the measurements for the markings

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_nxN_vjldtng/Sdio...ress_Camo_1.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_nxN_vjldtng/Sdio...ress_Camo_2.jpg

If you can take this and offer them up to your kit and take a swag at how big you need each type in mm and let me know I'll send you what I have that is closest in size slightly larger and smaller.

Also, have you sourced the Fin flash ? if not let me know and I'll dig a few of those out as well.

For future reference, XtraDecals do very nice sheets of each roundel type in different sizes.

Cheers,

Matt

Matt,

I pulled out the kit last night and measured the US stars and bars, I assume the RAF roundels would be "close" to the same size, maybe a touch larger if anything.

Fuselage- 1"= 25.4mm

wings-1.5"= 38.1mm

Have not sourced a fin flash yet, it would be of the Type C variety though.

Can I offer you anything in trade? Im not going to be using the kit decals and I dont build in 1/48 much...err at all

Edited by Shawn M