F-111C quickie question

Hi all

I am working on a Hobby Boss 1/48 F-111C and was thinking of hanging AGM-142s off of it but am curious to know if I can add the fuel tanks on stations 3 & 5 (innermost pylons) and the 142s on stations 2 & 6 (middle pylons)? Is this a common loadout? Most, if not all of the Aussie 111 pics I have are airshow dump and burn clean configuration pics so that doesn't hel me! Can I add the pave Tack pod as well? Any other cool loadout suggestions?

Cheers

Mike

I don't know if its possible to put the tanks and the AGM-142s I do think it is unlikely. I would put the Datalink pod on station 5 and an ELTA 8222 on station 3.

A lot of the C's have the Pave Tack. Obviously not the ones that have undergone the RF-111C conversion, but I can't find a picture in my collection of a straight C without the Pave Tack.

Another cool loadout would be a couple of Harpoons. The C was the only 'vark to be wired for those.

Cheers,

-Hoops

Edited by Hoops

The F-111E's and F's while in the UK where training on new tactics and weapons loads after ODS etc and the tanks where used more and more and yes they where fitted to the inner pylons in several proposed loads (all of which where cleared), but it was something of a technical fitters job to get them there because the inner plyons have no provision to take the fuel from the tank, a special fitment was needed using the pumping system from the pylon next to it to get the fuel out.

Ive never seen an F-111C using that system, but didnt pay much attention to them.

G'Day Mike,

The short answer is no.

Tanks were only ever used for Transit flights eg to The USA for Red Flags, Malaysia etc. And they would come off first thing when we got there. We never mixed Jugs with weapons the exception could be a single AIM-9L CATM carried on the inboard pivot pylon for Red Flag Transits.

As for the AGM-142 a typical loadout would be AGM-142 missile outboard pivot pylon, inboard empty under the Port Wing. The Starboard had the Data Link Pod outboard and a single Inert MK82 Low Drag inboard as a counter Weight.

ARDU (Australia's Test and Eval Squadron) did flight trials with 2 missiles on the outboard stations and a Data Link pod on one of the inboard pylons (2nd Inboard empty) and It was a bit heavy to use operationally so I think the Verdict was if push came to shove and we had to use them against the bad guys it would be a single Missile and the DLP, or 2 missiles with no DLP as the Delivery Jet (another Aircraft in the Formation would carry a DLP to Buddy control the missiles)

The F-111C Strike and RF-111C Recce Jets could both employ the AGM-142 as No Pave Tack is required for AGM Guidance. However every C model in the Fleet Had a Pave Tack. on the Gunship Grey AUP Jets which it would have to be for the 142 there was a mix of Gunship Grey and Black Pave Tack Pods. they get swapped around pretty often so unless you're aiming for a particular Jet at a particular time either colour would be correct.

You may also wish to use an ELTA 8222 ECM Pod which were carried on the Aft Pylon (Behind Main Wheel Well) for most "Tactical" Sortie's

Hope that is a help, I look forward to seeing your Pig finished I have one HB and 7 Hasegawa Pigs to go myself So I'm always keen for some Inspiration.

Cheers

Cairnsy

On the subject of Pave Tack, who makes a good one? I have some plans to build a couple of 111's and I'd like to know where to find one or two.

Probably Flightpath. It's a little more complete than the others. Most are just half pods that just stick on the closed bomb bay doors and have incorrect configurations of the windows on the seeker head, which is usually cast as fixed in the down and forward looking position.

Probably Flightpath. It's a little more complete than the others. Most are just half pods that just stick on the closed bomb bay doors and have incorrect configurations of the windows on the seeker head, which is usually cast as fixed in the down and forward looking position.

We have one mastered up right now that you will be able to position the seeker head in optional positions. It is going to be in the rotation early next year. I will see if I can post up some pics of it this weekend. It was mastered by our own Vark expert Jim Rotrammel!

The F-111E's and F's while in the UK where training on new tactics and weapons loads after ODS etc and the tanks where used more and more and yes they where fitted to the inner pylons in several proposed loads (all of which where cleared), but it was something of a technical fitters job to get them there because the inner plyons have no provision to take the fuel from the tank, a special fitment was needed using the pumping system from the pylon next to it to get the fuel out.

I don't know where that information came from, but I'm pretty sure it's BS. To make sure, since I left the program in 1991, I checked with a friend who was in a better position to know and he replied: "I was at AF SEEK EAGLE office (Eglin) from 88-early 93. We managed stores certification programs. Fuel tanks 4/5 didn't happen while I was there." Seek Eagle is where all the new weapon loads were qualified. I never heard about it being done and certainly never saw any photographic proof. In addition to the inboard pylons not being plumbed for fuel, there was a repeated history of GBU-15s with large span wings being mounted on inboard pylons and inadvertently puncturing the fuselage when the pilot forgot they were there and swept the wings back too far. That's why they stopped carrying GBU-15s on the inboard pylons. The same thing would have undoubtedly happened with the 600-gal fuel tanks, so I seriously doubt they would have ever started down that road.

We have one mastered up right now that you will be able to position the seeker head in optional positions. It is going to be in the rotation early next year. I will see if I can post up some pics of it this weekend. It was mastered by our own Vark expert Jim Rotrammel!

That's good news. Any chance of you doing an RF-111C recce pack?

Larry

I don't know where that information came from, but I'm pretty sure it's BS. To make sure, since I left the program in 1991, I checked with a friend who was in a better position to know and he replied: "I was at AF SEEK EAGLE office (Eglin) from 88-early 93. We managed stores certification programs. Fuel tanks 4/5 didn't happen while I was there." Seek Eagle is where all the new weapon loads were qualified. I never heard about it being done and certainly never saw any photographic proof. In addition to the inboard pylons not being plumbed for fuel, there was a repeated history of GBU-15s with large span wings being mounted on inboard pylons and inadvertently puncturing the fuselage when the pilot forgot they were there and swept the wings back too far. That's why they stopped carrying GBU-15s on the inboard pylons. The same thing would have undoubtedly happened with the 600-gal fuel tanks, so I seriously doubt they would have ever started down that road.

So apart from ferry runs, which is the only time I've heard of fuel tanks being carried outboard, were drop tanks ever carried on the wing pylons?

Like I said, the loads where proposed.

Like the proposal of fitting up to 3 GBU-12's per BRU.

Something that is now common on a TER, slant loaded GBUs

I know the pylons where not plumbed for fuel, but thats been covered before on here I think.

Edited by ElectroSoldier
  • 1 month later...

They look so cool with 2 Popeye and DLP. Still thinking about doing a F-111F with that loadout. Jim/Mr Vark did say recently in another post that the USAF did test the load briefly....need to finish my UH F-111E first

They look so cool with 2 Popeye and DLP. Still thinking about doing a F-111F with that loadout. Jim/Mr Vark did say recently in another post that the USAF did test the load briefly....need to finish my UH F-111E first

F-111F-AGM-142E-2.jpg

(Net photo)