So what the blazes is going on with PhotoBucket? They won't accept my password, and I have absolutely no idea how to use the "new and improved" format to post photos.

My Big Starfighter is coming along quite nicely. For the past week I have been working on the cockpit; a True Details resin set with the very accurate Lockheed C-2 seat. Trying to paint the tiny details using only one eye with no depth perception is a PITA. This kit with the resin set was given to me by an American ex-airforce weapons tech who was based at Zweibrucken 3 Wing RCAF while I was there. He had emailed me looking for 1:32 scale Early RCAF markings for the -104 which I provided thanks to Bill Burns. I bought two sets of decals with markings for one each, 427 and 434 Sqn birds and sent him one set. I'm doing 12815 of 434 Sqn

The BIG -104 has minute raised panel lines and tiny recessed rivets...and they will stay as they are...no re-scribing. The fit so far is quite good but the nozzle details are minimal...but I am not going to buy more resin!

If I can ever get PhotoBucket to work for me, I'll post some picks but you'll have to trust me with the WIP

Barney

When you put the mouse over the photo a dropdown menu shows. Just go down to the bottom one and click. You don't have to hi-light and copy. When you click on it, it copies it automatically. Hope this helps.

Wayne

After a week of sick-likeblazes I've finally figured this PB out. Hopefully these pics work. Many hours of trimming, fitting and more trimming, the cockpit tub fits. The resin is from True details and very accurately depicts the CF-104..except for the flight instrument panel! But you cannot see it anyways!

Barney

BigStarfighter002.jpg

BigStarfighter003.jpg

BigStarfighter001.jpg

Edited by Barneydhc82

Thanks Guys: This will be a slow build..no spray painting until I clear this ugly lung infection. It will be 12815, 434 Sqn Zweibrucken..flown by F/L Bryan Carr, Schooner 49. His hangar is across the taxiway from mine at Langley, BC and we BS frequently about the Great Days of Air Division!

Barney

After a couple of weeks of fighting a nasty bug, I have added a few more pics of the monster "lawn dart". The fuselage has been closed up and as usual the intakes do not fit worth a darn. I have been fitting and trimming the canopy and seat so that everything fits in the "office".

The plan is to finish the BMF fuselage using Tamiya TS14 Gloss Black then shooting light coats of Alclad 2 Airframe Aluminum. And I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this one.

BigStarfighter006-Copy.jpg

All that light grey stuff is Mr. Surfacer 1200 slapped on with a wide brush..not a floor mop.

BigStarfighter005-Copy.jpg

Leading edge safety strips made from .015"X .080" and .010" X .040" strips of Evergreen plastic

BigStarfighter008.jpg

After a couple of weeks of fighting a nasty bug, I have added a few more pics of the monster "lawn dart". The fuselage has been closed up and as usual the intakes do not fit worth a darn. I have been fitting and trimming the canopy and seat so that everything fits in the "office".

The plan is to finish the BMF fuselage using Tamiya TS14 Gloss Black then shooting light coats of Alclad 2 Airframe Aluminum. And I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this one.

BigStarfighter006-Copy.jpg

Barney

Nice progress. The resin really adds to the realism of the kit, and I like your paint job in the cockpit.

For the forward canopy section (the windscreen), don't forget to chop off the little nub of plastic from the bottom of the front frame. Canadain 104s didn't have that little bump.

ALF

Lookin' good, Barney. Nice touch on the leading edge guards.

Now what are the colours for the area behind the seat (avionics bay) and the glare shield over the instrument panel????

907721700_703f28bc0b_b.jpg

Black for the rear, and black (or very dark green) for the front.

Cheers,

Sean

Lookin' good, Barney. Nice touch on the leading edge guards.

Black for the rear, and black (or very dark green) for the front.

Cheers,

Sean

Actually it's olive drab (or dark green) for both front and rear. While I don't have them handy, I have a collection of colour photos that clearly shows the area behind the seat being dark green.

• 4 weeks later...

At long last a couple of progress pics of the Big Starfighter. It is ready to paint in the next few days ...hopefully. Computer problems, illness (me), a new Nikon D5000 (BIG learning curve) and every other excuse in the books.. :)

Barney

Test fitting wings and tail

BigStarfighter001-Copy.jpg

BigStarfighter002-Copy.jpg

Edited by Barneydhc82

Look forward to your paint job Barney. Just don't do what I did after I got my big Starfighter painted. I knocked it onto the basement floor and had a wing tank break off, clear canopy pieces came of along with the IP coaming. Fortunately she was salvagable and ended up looking quite nice.

Mike

Thanks Mike and Charlie. I have two options for the almost new, fresh out of the factory bird. 1. Use Alclad II Airframe Aluminum over Tamiya TS-14 Gloss Black or 2. Use a base coat of Model Master Gloss black enamel and when no longer tacky, rub in SnJ Aluminum powder. Either way it will turn out like a new aircraft and I can accent the rear end with a few drops of MM Blue and Black in the Alclad for that burnt appearance. This works very well.

Barney