It's a Dora, NO, not the one you Flyboys think...

Yep, finally got this Bad Boy, oops, Bad Girl I guess!?!

106_0507.jpg

It was stuck in Customs for almost 2 weeks; I was scared the buggers were building it!!!!!

All neatly pack in the box are over 1700 bits and pieces!!

106_0508.jpg

Got started on it and will post updates as I go!!

Edited by Flyboyf18
Good thing that beast doesn't come with a metal barrel. Because if it did you'd probably have to register it at the local gun club! :jaw-dropping:

80cm caliber / 72nd scale = a bore of 11.1mm, or to put it in American, roughly .44 Caliber.

Now, the truly unbelievable beast - the 35th scale Dora - the bore of that scale barrel comes to 22.86mm. :jaw-dropping:

Got any spare rounds from a Soviet 23mm cannon handy?

GREAT GOOGLY MOOGLY!!!!!

-Kevin in Indy

Got the barrel pretty well assembled, will have pics later today, and now studying the parts for sub assemblies to build.

OK question for you AC/DC fans; what song was I playing when I applied the first swipe of glue to Dora?

Hells Bells

:crying2:

Looking forward to seeing this built. I wouldnt mind getting one of these myself. I play an online team based FPS called Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, its a WW2 base2 game, Axis and Allies. One of the maps is called railway, where the Allies have to keep the Axis from loading the Dora and firing it, one of my favorite maps... I bougfht my first AFV kit because its one of the other vehicles featured on some of the maps, a Jagpanther.

Edited by Charlie Cheetah
80cm caliber / 72nd scale = a bore of 11.1mm, or to put it in American, roughly .44 Caliber. <...>

Or to paraphrase Harry Callahan of the SFPD:

"But being this is a .44 Dora, the most powerful 72nd scale model railway gun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you’ve got to ask yourself one question: “Do I feel lucky?” Well do ya, punk?"

:coolio:

Edited by ChernayaAkula
Or to paraphrase Harry Callahan of the SFPD:

"But being this is a .44 Dora, the most powerful 72nd scale model railway gun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you’ve got to ask yourself one question: “Do I feel lucky?†Well do ya, punk?"

:cheers:

I love this, and Yes I feel lucky, since I can look at this beast from both ends. :whistle:

And yes 'Big Gun' was the most appropriate tune, although the others were good choices also.

Got carried away with things last nite so some build pics will go up today.

WIP #1

Here's a pic of the breech, yeah I know it's not step #1, but I'm a Rebel when it comes to following instructions!!

DORAwip1-1.jpg

Next is the first improvement to the kit, added a strip of .010 card inside the breech to get rid of the plastic model look.

DORAwip1-2.jpg

Do you feel lucky? Is it loaded or not?????

DORAwip1-3.jpg

Got 3 nite shifts ahead of me so don't know how much will get done this weekend.......

• 2 weeks later...

OK got some more building done, but first couple of pics are recent armour builds used in Dora pics for size comparison.

First Ace Grizzly

Grizz.jpg

then Trumpeter BTR 80

btr80.jpg

Now on to Dora stuff

First I want to say to those considering buying this monster; if instructions that say build 4 or build 8 or build 40 of these scare you then this kit is not for you! If filing sprue attachment points off of 80 items that are the same scares you then this kit is not for you! If buying a 5 gallon can of paint to finish your model scares then this kit is not for you!!!

For those of you who have not bought stocks in Tamiya (Extra Thin Glue) do so now I'm going thru it fast!!

An over all shot of most assembled bits;

Dorawip11.jpg

More work planned on the breech, the hole is too large when the block is open so I'm adding plastic to get a more accurate look;

Dorawip15.jpg

This the breech block with the breech open and the round and charge beside it, the white bit is a thinned out piece of Evergreen styrene tube (1/2 inch) which will be captured by two circles of plastic glued into the front and back of the breech openings.

Dorawip12.jpg

I have assembled two pieces of the track bases the whole thing will be 40 inches long, I will need a bigger house!! They appeared a bit flimsy so I reinforced the bottom with some Evergreen styrene strip.

Dorawip13.jpg

Dorawip14.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Next update installment;

A bit slow after the annual festival, Modelus Buildus Interuptus; so here is a quick update

got one of the rail subframes and it's bogies pretty well done;

Dorabogeyframe.jpg

I added a bunch of frame work most probably just decorative but I would really recommend the two triangles at the center because there will be a lot of weight at this point and to me it appears a little flimsy.

Dora1of4.jpg

and on it;s rail trucks

Doraammodeck.jpg

this is a view down one of the frames for the ammo loading deck, in the next update I will show how I modified it to IMHO look better.

• 10 months later...

Is there any updates on your Dora build?

??? I would also like to see some updates on this one. Never saw the thread the first time around...I have always wanted to build the 35th version but lack the money and(most importantly) the space!!

Sean

Haha, I opened this up, and at first I thought it was the 1/35 kit. A good friend of mine has the 1/35 kit, and I always keep poking fun w/ him that he needs to give it to me.

Looks like you're off to an awesome start. Cant wait to see more.