Hi,all.

I'd like to take part to the GB with the first De Havilland Canada designed and produced aircraft to honor the Canadian industry.

This chippy prototype C-DIO-X will be my build.

May I?

This is the old Airfix 1/72nd kit I'll start from.

Regards

Euge

hdc1_001_kit.jpg

Hi all.

Since I received no negative answer, I suppose I may post the "in progress" pics.

Relative surprise is that the parts fit really well together.

I decided to remove the cowling from the rest of the fuselage to represent the gap between the parts.

hdc1_002_parts1.jpg

Some sanding to reduce the thickness, adding new walls and floor.

hdc1_003_ins.jpg

hdc1_004_wa1.jpg

Thanks for viewing

Regards

Euge

Nice choice of subject. I've flown in a Chipmunk once - fun little airplane. My father did his primary military pilot training on the Chipmunk in 1968. Quite the little workhorse it was.

I'm impressed with your attention to detail - will be watching this thread.

ALF

Hi,all.

I'd like to take part to the GB with the first De Havilland Canada designed and produced aircraft to honor the Canadian industry.

This chippy prototype C-DIO-X will be my build.

May I?

This is the old Airfix 1/72nd kit I'll start from.

Regards

Euge

Euge, make that CF-DIO-X

Have you got the book 'DHC-1 Chipmunk, the poor man's Spitfire ISBN 978-0-9812544-0-1 ?? It is quite the 'bible for all things "chippy" Packed with pictures !!! Lots of the prototype you are doing.

Cheers, Tony

Nice choice of subject. I've flown in a Chipmunk once - fun little airplane. My father did his primary military pilot training on the Chipmunk in 1968. Quite the little workhorse it was.

I'm impressed with your attention to detail - will be watching this thread.

ALF

ALF18: I was working in ATC at Camp Borden at that time and probably witnessed more than my share of controlled crashes...including some by your father! I checked-out in the Chipmunk at Borden thanks to a few friends in PFS..also did a few trips with the Tigers formation team

Barney

ALF18: I was working in ATC at Camp Borden at that time and probably witnessed more than my share of controlled crashes...including some by your father! I checked-out in the Chipmunk at Borden thanks to a few friends in PFS..also did a few trips with the Tigers formation team

Barney

Cool!

You must have been 5 years old, right? :-)

ALF

Thank you all, for your comments.

I'm sorry for the late reply, but I was busy in the weekend organizing a model exhibition in a school of my town.

@Tony: no I haven't that book. I'm not going for a high detailed build: just some improvement, since the little scale and what I've got from the web is enough for the purpose.

Here some updates about the build sequence of the internal structure.

hdc1_005_string.jpg

hdc1_006_string_fr.jpg

I have now to fill the gaps between the stringers and the frames

hdc1_007_striuctdet.jpg

Regards

Euge

Hi, all.

Done. The structure is now completed

hdc1_008_strsealed.jpg

with some paint strokes, just to understand if it is ok.

New floor with the supports for the seats.

hdc1_009_parts_paint.jpg

Also the first attempt to the instrument panels worked well.

hdc1_010_ip_01.jpg

Mounting seats and inclined bulkheads

hdc1_011_mount_01.jpg

All is adapted to the shape of the interior fuselage.

hdc1_012_mount_01.jpg

I still don't know what color was inside, and if some of you has any idea, I'll appreciate a lot.

Thanks for watching

Euge

I still don't know what color was inside, and if some of you has any idea, I'll appreciate a lot.

Thanks for watching

Euge

From the B & W pics in my Chippy book, it's hard to tell, but I would guess as to a British Interior Green.

The rear instrument panel didn't get a full compliment of instruments until the aircraft was sent to England for some more trials. Both were sort of 'oval' in shape--rear one only had an airspeed, altimeter, turn and bank, and a compass.

The rudder on CF-DIO-X was a little smaller than a production rudder---the notch at the bottom was the result of the rudder gaining some area. Elevators were smalller too, but my knowledge of their shape is not great.

Your Chipmunk is looking good !!!

Cheers, Tony

Thanks, Tony, for the advice.

The panels are way different in the prototype; I didn't notice even if I knew the pic in this page. http://www.chipmunkflyer.co.uk/article3.htm.

I'm going to make new IPs.

Really I can't see the difference in the rudder, but will investigate more; it is already separated, so no problem to correct.

As for elevators I think there is a smaller tip in the prototype, but the most relevant difference is that there were trim tabs on both sides.

Thank you

Euge

An Airfix gem if there ever was one. You're doing a bang-up job thus far. Any more progress to report on?

Thanks, RKic.

No, unfortunately I can go back to this build only next friday.

The Christmas holidays will be a good chance

Regards

Euge

• 3 weeks later...

Hallo, friends. I have not been posting for a long time, but working intensively on the model.

Some details added on the right cockpithdc1_013_det_R1.jpg

And to the left

hdc1_014_det_L1.jpg

Some more devices

hdc1_015_det_R2.jpg

Last fit test before gluing

hdc1_015_test_fit.jpg

Added seats cushions

hdc1_016_det_R3.jpg

Fuselage finally joined and the front instrument panel installed

hdc1_017_join_1.jpg

The rear one will be put after painting the fuselage.

hdc1_018_join_2.jpg

Thanks for watching

Euge

You're doing really good job Euge!

I like the way you've tackled poor kit cockpit - stretched sprue (or styrene rods?) are nice add-on to empty cockpit walls...

Looking forward to more photos of progress :cheers:

Cheers,

Srdjan

Hi, all

You're doing really good job Euge!

I like the way you've tackled poor kit cockpit - stretched sprue (or styrene rods?) are nice add-on to empty cockpit walls...

Cheers,

Srdjan

I am a sprue fan and I use it for several purposes, stretched or not, even to prepare my personal glue, but in this case I used styrene microrods and strips to be sure of the constant section.

I've seen the difference between the rudders of the prototype and the production aircraft and modified. This caused loosing the ribs detail that I have simulated with styrene microstrips. It will be covered by a special paper used many years ago for flying models.

hdc1_019_20_21_rud.jpg

Here in one shot the cowling with the exhaust added and the new tail wheel.

hdc1_022_cwl_tw.jpg

The front fuselage with the firewall bulkhead and the supports for the cowling.

hdc1_023_24_25_fus_cwl_01.jpg

A front view with something barely visible inside.

hdc1_026_front.jpg

There is no engine inside, but only the first cylinder, just to cheat the sight.

hdc1_027_cyl.jpg

Thanks for watching

Euge