Traveling to Japan in March...

Well, SWMBO finally convinced me to make the trip to Japan to visit relatives in March so I'd like to make this trip as much about modeling as I would about sightseeing. As we all know, Japan is the 'land of modeling' (sort of speak) so I'd like to know where in these cities I may be able to find some good hobby shops:

- Osaka

- Tokyo

- Shizuoka

If you know of specific names and addresses in these cities I'd really appreciated.

Also, as I understand it, Tamiya's HQ is located in Shizuoka. If so, does anyone know if one can get inside the building to look around? I've been told there are some real nice models on display there.

Anyway, any feedback will be tremendously appreciated.

Rob

If your wife or her relatives understand the language than here are some sites for you:

http://www.hs-tamtam.co.jp/

Well stocked, very good prices. One in Osaka, a few in Tokio. Especially the one in Sagamihara (outskirts of Tokyo, fifteen minute drive from NAS Atsugi) is well worth a visit. It's BIG.

http://joshinweb.jp/top.html

There are a few Joshins which have a 'Kidsland' department, also well stocked and very good prices. There are two Joshin Kidsland in Osaka.

I have been to the TamTam shops in Tokyo-Sagamihara, Tokyo-Chiba, Nagoya and Gifu, as well as the Kidsland in Osaka and Nagoya and can most surely recommend them!

In Shizuoka I visited Rainbow Ten and found it also well stocked, but on the high end when it comes to the price. I'd prefer a Kidsland or TamTam over Rainbow Ten any time.

I lived in Osaka for six months. The one place I recommend is Joshin. When in Osaka you have to go to a place called Den Den Town. No joke that's the name. Anyway, the streets are lined with small stores that sell electronics videos, etc. Anyway, Joshin is a toy store. Don't let that fool you. You have to go to the second and third floor and it's a modeling mecha ! One of the floors is just Tamiya! There are paints, tools, kits and just about everything else. Now in Den Den there are two Joshins. One is tucked in-between stores that's the one with all the models and the other is on a corner. The one in the corner has figures trains pellet guns. Either one is a joy to just walk through. Also, you have to explore. I found kits in the most unlikely places. A lot of the stores sell figures anime or whatever, they usually have kits as well. Have fun walk around and enjoy.

Gonzalo

If you buy a lot of kits, Hasegawa is almost 50% cheaper, it might be cheaper and faster to just pay the baggage fee. By the way if you need cash you can use any Japanese post office ATM. You can use Visa or Mastercard as well just about anywhere. There are a few regular ATMs but they can be expensive. I think read that your wife is Japanese in your post. I'm probably not telling you anything she doesn't know. I recommend to go out to the home of Tamiya and Hasegawa they are in the same town but far from Osaka. I didn't get a chance to go there but I am sure it's worth the trip!

Gonzalo

Actually, Shizuoka is the hub of plastic in Japan as not just Tamiya and Hasegawa are there, but a few others as well. I would love to take a visit there. One day I plan to at least visit Okinawa again to relive some childhood memories (such as a visit to Shima's). But mainland Japan would potentially be a much cooler visit if done right (it can be expensive though).

• 8 years later...

Yes:

Hobbyland, Honmachi (hobbyland.jp)

Ms-Plus, Honmachi (ms-plus.com)

Volks (Zoukei Mura), Namba/Nipponbashi (volks.co.jp)

(Joshin Kidsland, Namba/Nipponbashi, but sounds like you know that one...?)

Yodobashi Camera, Umeda (Osaka)

Cheers,

J

Hi,

sorry to bring up this thread...

I am going to Osaka soon,

Besides Joshin & Den Den Town, any good (non-RC, non-Gundam) hobby shops to recommend in Osaka?

Thanks!

Yodabashi Camera Shop in Kyoto. One of them, maybe the Osaka shop didn’t really have model kits.