CF-5A(R) Question

Hi all;

I was wondering - did Canada ever operate any recon-nose CF-5s - meaning, ones with the kind of nose you see here? I have an Esci kit with this nose (and not the fighter nose) and was thinking of making a Canadian bird out of it.

If the answer is yes, are there any pics of it around I might get pointed towards?

Also, anyone know of any good decals for this, in 1/72?

Thanks!

Edited by Antonov
Thanks, Paolo.

Was the refueling probe also removable? Would it be plausible to model an aircraft that had the recce nose, but no refueling probe?

Thanks!

Antonov,

The refueling probe was detachable. I've seen lots of pictures of CF-5's without it.

Tom

Thanks, Paolo.

Was the refueling probe also removable? Would it be plausible to model an aircraft that had the recce nose, but no refueling probe?

Thanks!

It is possible as the probe was bolted on, although probably rare since the CF-5 tended to be a bird with short legs and the recon birds likely needed the range for most of their missions. The probe would be needed if they were going to be taking pictures of Soviet ice islands above the arctic circle. Plus, if they were doing a deployment to Europe, the probe is practically a requirement to get there without any refuelling stops in Greenland along the way. I've found one picture of a CF-5 with a recce nose and no probe at Elmendorf AFB in Alaska in 1968 undergoing some testing work in the old out of print Squadron book on the F-5 (page 30). So it IS possible I guess, but probably a bit on the rare side.

One interesting tidbit I've noticed is all the CF-5s I've seen with recce noses have the border of the underside gray sitting slightly higer on the nose then on the fuselage. It looks like the border always starts ABOVE the side camera ports on the nose.

Hi all;

I was wondering - did Canada ever operate any recon-nose CF-5s - meaning, ones with the kind of nose you see here? I have an Esci kit with this nose (and not the fighter nose) and was thinking of making a Canadian bird out of it.

If the answer is yes, are there any pics of it around I might get pointed towards?

Also, anyone know of any good decals for this, in 1/72?

Thanks!

Antonov

Canada operated CF-5s regularly with recce noses. I have several good ref pics if you PM me with your e-mail address.

The units could have been 434 Squadron (Cold Lake and/or Bagotville or Chatham-based), 419 Squadron (Cold Lake), and 433 Squadron (Bagotville).

The paint scheme most likely was the dark grey/green over light grey. Late in their life, CF-5s in overall wraparound scheme might have flown with recce noses, but not so often.

The refuelling probe was removable. It required enough maintenance hours to install/remove that the squadrons tended to leave them installed for a while when required. The probe did cause a lot of drag, and therefore when they didn't plan any air refuelling in the near future it was always removed.

Recce noses were used quite often, with or without refuelling probes.

Bottom line: your choice with or without refuelling probe, your choice of those three units (419, 433, 434), and recce nose valid on any of them.

ALF

I have a really good CF-5 refueling probe story. But I dunno if I should tell it or not....... :)

Out with it! Where's that popcorn-eating emoticon when you need it?

ALF

Anything with a Nighthawk on it.

Cheers,

Sean

I'm sure you meant a Checker!! :)

So anyway. It was a fine Friday evening at the 4 Wing Cold Lake Officers Mess. A good time was being had by all (as usual). The new (ish) Wing Commander was even ringing the bell, and tipping a few back - as he had just finished up getting re-qualified on the Hornet earlier that day. Later on into the night, the crowds began to thin out. There were smaller groups huddled around their respective tables (the 416 guys at the 416 table - the 441 guys at the Checker table - the AETE guys around the AETE table). The AETE table is in the shape of a large "X", and the support for the table is an inert bomb (and a heavy one at that too). Long story short, the smallest 441 pilot I ever knew, somehow talked the largest AETE pilot I ever saw, into heading for home so that we could haul their table out to the parking lot. It was magical!! After an amazing feat of strength (and mind numbing low levels of IQ) we got the table out to the parking lot. We positioned the table directly in front of the Wing Commander's car (which he left behind because he was too drunk to drive). After much laughing and congratulating each other, we headed back in. Soon after, we decided to head to another bar. I had decided not to drink any booze that night, so I was the DD. We were all going to pile into my (then) SUV. I didn't notice when we left, but a couple of the guys grabbed the CF-5 refueling probe that was mounted on a large plaque in the Mess (it was a 419 donation to the Mess). They tossed it into the back of my SUV when they piled in. A while later, when a few of us left the 2nd bar....I discovered the probe. The 2 guys left (one being the guy that talked the large AETE dude into going home) tried to talk me into taking it home to Red Deer. They assured me it would be "funny as H**L" and there would be no repercussions. My "spidy senses" were going off like a bomb blast. And after I dropped the guys off at their homes, I headed back to the Mess and replaced the probe.

I can't imagine the crap I would've gotten into if I had've believed the "well lubricated" pilots!! LOL

Everytime I went to the Mess after that, I'd see that probe on the wall......reminding me how close I came to going to "club ed"....lol.

Crazy fun times!!

p.s. The Wing Commander called the Squadron CO's the next morning, and had them personally re-position the AETE table back in the Mess....LOL.

So... I don't suppose that anyone here has a spare Esci F-5A refueling probe that you're not using, do you? :rolleyes:

Anyone?

Unfortunately I don't have one to send you but be sure you get the right one as the Esci kit has two different probes. For the Canadair built CF-5 the probe is on the right while Northrop built F-5's have the probe on the left.

Cheers,

Sean