Does this weathering look too heavy to you?

don't know if you used to say bad words before

but, if you are ever going to start,,,,,that would have been the time

so, what tape, what paint, over what undercoat?

that really is sad to see

Rex

DOnt feel too bad, atleast you painted AFTER you put the halves together. I wasted about $15 in paint, before putting the halves together (This was BEFORE I found out about acrylic thinner), just so I can spend another couple of bucks repainting the damn thing after laying some putty along the seam.

Otherwise it looks good, you could mask off everything painted fine and just sand-off and concentrate on repainting those areas.

I think paint chipping might be better done with a silver pencil?

A more experienced modeler, please put some input, Im only into my 2nd build and would like to know...

Silver Pencil for paintchips?

Edited by Superjew

It gets worse. My plan WAS to just re-paint the problem areas. Only problem? When I masked the areas to paint, it lifted off even MORE paint! So, this build turned into a complete scrub-down and re-paint.

I'm using my standard painting method- rattle can gray primer, with MM Acrylic paint. Usually this works fine. For some reason, though, on this build the paint just didn't like the base coat, and I'm not sure why. I may have laid the acrylic down too thick so it stuck to itself more than the primer. All I know is that now, sanding down the paint I laid down WITHOUT disturbing the canopy masks is a pain in the hind end.

I'm really hoping this build turns out for the best- the Me 264 is one of my favorite airplanes of all time, and I DON'T want this kit to be one I finish just "good enough". We'll see, I guess.

I'm to the painting stage of (one of) my current projects, Special Hobby's Me 264. I'm representing the machine in mid- to late-1944, so I figured a bit of paint chipping was in order. How do you think I did? :lol:

I don't think it looks too bad, do you? :woo:

Well I think your ability's are outstanding the way you were able to mask off the green stuff to allow the small precise spaces for the gray stripes/spaces is genius............OH wait I get it! :doh:

Good luck on the repaint :cop:

One of the hazards of using acrylics, IMO. I've had acrylics, Tamiya specifically, lift way to many times so now if I'm going to use it anywhere I make sure it's the last to be applied. I've also found it don't like to be handled and marrs easily, unlike most enamels.

Good luck on the repair, looks like you have a nice build going on.

Yeah, I've had paint lift before, but never this bad. What's even better is that I just used up the last of my RLM 65 (and my 70 and 71 too), so I'm going to need to make a paint run here tomorrow.

Only problem? Right now it's snowing like crazy outside.

Now, a sensible person would stay inside instead of driving an hour on icy roads to buy three tiny bottles of paint. [un]Fortunately, I'm not sensible. I'm a MODELER! :banana:

G'Day Lucien. A rescue is easy. Build it on its wheels, and swarming with Blackmen who are applying paint to the skin.

Or, you might try coating it with Future before continuing with the re-masking and repainting.

Good luck with the finish. George, out................

• 2 weeks later...

I havnt done the " chipping " you have done, I try not too 'cos what happened to you I'd hate to happen to me..... the most I have ever done is to use thinned out humbrol matt 33 and a fine paint brush to trace out the panels.......:wub: or a 6b led pencil on silver bodied aircraft. I have tried the Humbrol spray, I like the colours they have but .... I find it too thick, could never get it to stop peeling, flaking and crinkling.... the Tamiya AS series of sprays are gold!! never had a problem with them, and the semi gloss clear works for me.... I too , would like to know the technique for chipping, one method I had heard and have never tried is under coat of aluminium... and then ear bud and vaseline time?!!! dab ya vaso, mask off as per chart spray and wipe off when all dry.... yeah.... there ya go.... unsure of the how to entirley clean it off and then seal it so never tried. also dont have an airgun. these are just my observations I am in no way in the league of some of you guys...

Not to worry. After a marathon session with sandpaper and duct tape, I manged to get another paint job down, this one (mostly) flawless. In fact I'm almost finished up with the model as a whole. HOPEFULLY you'll see it on here in a few days. Let me tell you, though- it looks great, if I say so myself.