Academy 1/48 Su-27 Flanker family correct canopy

How to buy?

Here:

[FS] Fairy Hobby original aftermarket goods

Instruction sheets with comparation photos FYI.

First, single version.

48005-1.jpg

48005-2.jpg

48005-3.jpg

48005-4.jpg

If you wanna the big file, you can download them here:

CAUTION: Huge files! :woot.gif:

http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz357/haneto_yu/Su-27%20canopy%20instruction%20sheets/Original%20copies/48005-1.jpg

http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz357/haneto_yu/Su-27%20canopy%20instruction%20sheets/Original%20copies/48005-2.jpg

http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz357/haneto_yu/Su-27%20canopy%20instruction%20sheets/Original%20copies/48005-3.jpg

http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz357/haneto_yu/Su-27%20canopy%20instruction%20sheets/Original%20copies/48005-4.jpg

And here comes the twin seats version:

48006-1.jpg

48006-2.jpg

48006-3.jpg

48006-4.jpg

Original high reso files here:

http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz357/haneto_yu/Su-27%20canopy%20instruction%20sheets/Original%20copies/48006-1.jpg

http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz357/haneto_yu/Su-27%20canopy%20instruction%20sheets/Original%20copies/48006-2.jpg

http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz357/haneto_yu/Su-27%20canopy%20instruction%20sheets/Original%20copies/48006-3.jpg

http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz357/haneto_yu/Su-27%20canopy%20instruction%20sheets/Original%20copies/48006-4.jpg

As know widely,Academy 1/48 Su-27 family suffers a lot of accuracy issues,especially the most noticable ones are wrong shaped nosecone and too low windshield/canopy.

And the upper view also indicates that Academy Su-27,especially Su-27UB canopy do not have the proper curve,either.

I tried to fix that problem but that would bring a lot of reworking of fuselage,so this time,accurate side view would be the top aim.

Actually,this is prepared for the forth coming Academy Su-30MKK,but you can also use it on Su-27UB,etc.

Maybe after twin seat ones finished,I would start with the single seat.

Next step is applying tape stripes on windshield/canopy.

To be continued and thanks for watching.

(BTW,home page under construction.)

Chees,

Yufei

Edited by haneto

Hi Yufei

How are you mate? You just mentioned about the inaccuracies of the Acadamy 1/48 Su-27 family, that got me concerned about my own single seater kit which I intend to make someday into an early batch Chinese version, Do the same shape issues exsist on he single seater too? And to save me some headache on conducting researches can you advise me on what kind of modifications I need to make in order to create a reasonably correct ChInese Navy version? I have invested some serious amount of money on an Eduard Big E PE set therefore would prefer to get this one as close to accurate as possible, normally I'm not too fussy about small details.

It's great to see you again! Talk to you soon. :thumbsup:

Wang Bin

Thanks a lot for the feedbacks,guys.

You Are Fast! :thumbsup:

Great work Yufei! Which nose you use on pictures?

It's an original one,Mario.

I made the master of nosecone in metal with help of a small working machine.

But since there're already many choices on the market,for example,Quickboost or Miniarm.

I don't know if I should put this with the new vacformed canpy?

Hi Yufei

How are you mate? You just mentioned about the inaccuracies of the Acadamy 1/48 Su-27 family, that got me concerned about my own single seater kit which I intend to make someday into an early batch Chinese version, Do the same shape issues exsist on he single seater too? And to save me some headache on conducting researches can you advise me on what kind of modifications I need to make in order to create a reasonably correct ChInese Navy version? I have invested some serious amount of money on an Eduard Big E PE set therefore would prefer to get this one as close to accurate as possible, normally I'm not too fussy about small details.

It's great to see you again! Talk to you soon. :salute:

Wang Bin

Hi,Ricqi!Long time no see :thumbsup:

The Academy Flanker is actually too small,not 1/48 but about 1/50 indeed.

The Korean mismeasured the length of fuselage with the pitot tube in.

And sadly,single seat suffers the same problem.

Well,to my eyes this problem is not very noticeable indeed,but at least if you change the nose cone and canopy,the overall look would be much better.

Every one's standard is different so it's really hard to tell true or false.

But PLANAF do not use Su-27s,but only Su-30MKK2,man.

So if you choose to make a Chinese Su-27SK,it's almost the same as the normal Russian Su-27s.

As for a J-11A(licensed built Su-27SK in Shenyang Aircraft Plant),some small antennas and formation panel lights need to be attached.

But if a J-11B,that's totally another question.

New cockpit,new pylons,new PL series missiles,maybe new Taihang WS-12 nozzles,etc.

I mentioned that I have bought you a PLA equipment plan book,you can find the answers there,too.:D

HTH,

Yufei

single set with both canopies for single seated and double seater would be nice)-nose cones we already have (do not forged pisco too:)

now about hobby obss Su-27:

could Zactoman scale down its trumpeter correction ;)

Edited by flanker
  • 2 weeks later...

Single seat finished.

First,convert the windshield so that you can use the windshield height as the guide for canopy outline.

04-1.jpg

You can see how small/incorrect the Academy Su-27 windshield/canopy is.

05-1.jpg

Finished.

07-1.jpg

I'm right now framing the windshield/canopy for both single and twin seat Flankers.

Thanks for watching.

Yufei

Looks nice Yufei. How about the bubleshape, will it be preserved/improved?

It's quite difficult to keep the section bubled especially if I want to make the left side and the right side symmetrical.

Plus I have no accurate section cut plan of the delicated canopy.

So maybe the bubleshape is not very obvious finally,but I would prefer to keep the good fitting to the original fuselage part.

(In other words,if I make the bubleshape just exactly spot on,the additional work on fuselage part would be very huge.)

It's quite difficult to keep the section bubled especially if I want to make the left side and the right side symmetrical.

Plus I have no accurate section cut plan of the delicated canopy.

So maybe the bubleshape is not very obvious finally,but I would prefer to keep the good fitting to the original fuselage part.

(In other words,if I make the bubleshape just exactly spot on,the additional work on fuselage part would be very huge.)

I meant bubleshape on the canopy, Yufei. That shouldn't affect the fuselage itself, atleast it didnt when Zacto made his:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....st&p=313834

If modifying the canopy to the bubleshape, your best bet is pictures. I believe that Zacto didn't have any cut plans either, and based his work on pictures.

I meant bubleshape on the canopy, Yufei. That shouldn't affect the fuselage itself, atleast it didnt when Zacto made his:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....st&p=313834

If modifying the canopy to the bubleshape, your best bet is pictures. I believe that Zacto didn't have any cut plans either, and based his work on pictures.

I understand your meaning.Actually Academy canopy is not only too low,but too narrow on the middle,so that's what I mean if I make canopy totally correct,tons of work need on fuselage even for the user.

Maybe you means the buble effect on both sides is not obvious enough for you.

As you know,Academy original windshield is bubles(you can find the molding line across the parts),so from 2nd picture of my last WIP reply,you can know the section will only be more bubles.

EDIT:mistyping,sorry.

Edited by haneto
Actually Academy canopy is not only too low,but too narrow on the middle,so that's what I mean if I make canopy totally correct,tons of work need on fuselage even for the user.

Aha. I didn't know that it was too narrow in the middle.

As i understand it, you are planning to make your own little cottage industry? :jaw-dropping: Are you also planning to do a more detailed IRST?

Aha. I didn't know that it was too narrow in the middle.

As i understand it, you are planning to make your own little cottage industry? :) Are you also planning to do a more detailed IRST?

Well,just a small try if I could be liberted more time from my daily job,why not. :jaw-dropping:

As for IRST,I'm planning to provide the vacformed clear ball part together with canopies because most IRST solid parts could be easily built from a plastic sprue I guess.

Maybe I would make resin copies of the inner structures.

OK,just now I finished framing the single seat.

Is it not bubled enough?Well,really hard to tell and I think everyone has his own taste,right? :worship:

07-2.jpg

08-1.jpg

I even considered if there's necessary to put a piece of pre-cut canopy masking tape into the set,but that would increase the cost a lot.

So I just add some thin frames so users could cut the masking tape by being guided with the frames.

Thanks a lot for the feedbacks,guys!

There's also another small detail that most kit makers did not notice before:

The canopy open edge is not parellel with the edge of the last frame.

Picture tells the truth:

Su-27-details-2A.jpg

I hope this canopy could be used not only on normal Su-27 or Su-27UB but also Su-27SM,Su-30 and Su-33,etc.:jaw-dropping:

Cheers,

Yufei

It looks fantastic Yufei - great work. :jaw-dropping::worship:

Re the 'bubble' shape - I take that to mean the cross-section - it looks like a horseshoe, wider in the middle of the arch than at the bottom.

To make that as a vacform, you would need a two-part mould, otherwise you would not be able to get the formed canopy out.

That's why injection-moulded canopies (like the Academy Flanker & Hasegawa F-16 etc) have a mould-seam down the centre.

As long as it looks right in outline (and Yufei's does), I guess you can live with the straight sides in front view.

Just my six penn'orth....

Ken

BTW,if you choose to close the canopy,then the bulged area after the canopy has to be replaced by the new vacformed one.

But if you choose to open the canopy,it should not be very noticable to leave the origianl plastic one.

Just all my envisage...

<...>

As i understand it, you are planning to make your own little cottage industry? :) Are you also planning to do a more detailed IRST?

Well,just a small try if I could be liberted more time from my daily job,why not. :woot.gif:

<...>

Does that mean we may look forward to corrected 1/72 Fulcrum canopies? :whistle: Or pylons and missiles in 1/72?

One of the local newsagents has the issue of AIR Modeller containing your Fulcrum and APA-5 starter truck. :thumbsup:

It looks fantastic Yufei - great work. :thumbsup::woot.gif:

Re the 'bubble' shape - I take that to mean the cross-section - it looks like a horseshoe, wider in the middle of the arch than at the bottom.

To make that as a vacform, you would need a two-part mould, otherwise you would not be able to get the formed canopy out.

That's why injection-moulded canopies (like the Academy Flanker & Hasegawa F-16 etc) have a mould-seam down the centre.

As long as it looks right in outline (and Yufei's does), I guess you can live with the straight sides in front view.

Just my six penn'orth....

Ken

You're absolutely right,Ken.

I would finish the master and beg my friend to make vaformed canopy copies,who's very experieced in the aspect(You can find his vafrom canopy in 1/72 Q-5).

The method he uses is the mold cavity formation(or IMG,in mold grian) so that vacformed canopy would be the same shape and size of the master for a better fitting effect.

While most vaform canopies are made from a force plug mold so the canopy would be a tiny bigger than the master itself(plus the thickness of canopy sheet).

Cheers,

Yufei