IRIAF F-5E TigerII

Splendid, as always :D :D

Can't wait to see the markings applied...

(It would be cool to see the eagle head or tiger head test-applied on the camo, for scale effect...)

BTW- did you already made a choice of the warload configuration?

Greetings

Diego

Edited by Diego
Splendid, as always :D :D

Can't wait to see the markings applied...

(It would be cool to see the eagle head or tiger head on the camo, for scale effect...)

BTW- did you already made a choice of the warload configuration?

Greetings

Diego

Thanx Diego :D

Well nothing definitive right now... I´m thinking either napalm or clusterbombs.

I'm back on here after a short time away and when I saw your name next to this build I had to check it out.

The choice of Air arm and colourscheme which has been replicated flawlessly, makes this one outstanding build so far.

It will look the "mutts nuts" next to the F4E

Decals are on..... at least the ones I didn´t destroy :(

The decals from Hidecal (Diego) are fantstic but they are a bit thin an my butter fingers mangaed to ruin a couple.

I managed to muck up the persian numerals above the flag...I had to do some surgery and cut a piece from another decal to save it.

IMG_2111.jpg

And on this side I managed to totally destroy the number two that should have been beow the flag.... it simply folded and I couldn´t unfold it again

IMG_2113.jpg

Other than that it was a delight to put on the decals and it was nice not to have to put on 4-500 decals :P

IMG_2110.jpg

IMG_2112.jpg

Now I´ll leave the microsol to do it´s work until tomorrow and then I´ll seal them and prepare for weathering and final asembly :woot.gif:

Cheers!

Looking good! By the way if you find the decals thin, I don't think there should be a need for mircrosol as it can melt the decal. Maybe that explained why you ruined some of the decals?

Looking good! By the way if you find the decals thin, I don't think there should be a need for mircrosol as it can melt the decal. Maybe that explained why you ruined some of the decals?

Thanx mate!

Oh I don´t exactly drench the decals in micrsol, I know they are sensitive to it so I apply it with only a slightly damp brush :D I managed to muck up the decals when I transfered them from the paper to the model :P

No worries tho, I´m getting replacements ( I´ll try not to mess them up, thanx Diego! :) )

wooooow its admirable ,incredible

Thanx :D

Aigore, good job man!

How was HDL decals, is it really so thin? How about covering the panel lines and rivets? As I told you, las time I was using HDL was while ago - their set for Mi-24 was horrible. It is good to hear that they better now.

Are you going to change 1 with 0 in farsi/arabic numerals over Iranian flag on the tail?

Thanx Dragan and Marcin :)

The decals are insanely thin...very fragile but look terriffic! with a dab of microsol the carrier film just disapaers! They suck right into panellines and rivets really great stuff.

I´m getting replacements for the decals I botched so yeah, I´ll replace the numerals :P

WOW! Lots of progress since I last checked in! Congrats on the baby! Hope you'll still find time to get some modeling done.

Did you freehand the camo on top surfaces? If so, can you tell me about how you had it setup (thinner ratio/ air pressure/ airbrush?)

WOW! Lots of progress since I last checked in! Congrats on the baby! Hope you'll still find time to get some modeling done.

Did you freehand the camo on top surfaces? If so, can you tell me about how you had it setup (thinner ratio/ air pressure/ airbrush?)

Thanx :thumbsup:

Yep it´s freehand.....

I´m used to enamels and use humbrol mostly but well because of mini me I´m considering going over to acrylics instead....

So the brown is a mix of enamels and thinned to about 50% and sprayed with 1.5 bar of preassure, think that´s about 20 PSI. The green is tamyia acrylics and that went down a bit unsmoother....I mixed it with alcohol and that made the paint dry a bit too fast and I got som clogging and lots of splutter. Think I´ll use warer or Tamyia thinner next time tho. ended up shooting it at 2 bar, about 30 psi.

I use an Iwata Custom Micron-B for the finer lines and a Iwata HP-CH for the general painting.

Yeah. Go acrylic Janne! Make the change! :thumbsup: F-5's looking good Janne. The decals add extra colour that makes the already nice camoflage come to life. Beautiful!

Cheers

Ian

Edited by Ian Cooper

Janne, Janne, Janne, I tell you what! I have come to expect nothing less than perfection from you and your modeling skills. This is just turning out to be totally and utterly FRICKIN AWESOME! Great job, can't wait to see her all done and weathered. Really love your weathering. Don't keep us waiting too long!

Jeremy

Yeah. Go acrylic Janne! Make the change! :pray: Do we get to see decals soon?

I agree with going with Acrylics because the nice thing about that is you can do an OIL wash on top of the Acrylic and you don't have to put down a coat of Future in order to do the oil wash because the oil thinner wont remove the Acrylic base coat. I do all my main painting with Acrylics then go back and do different washes with oils and use regular enamel thinner and all thats removed is the enamel paint and not the Acrylic. I really hope that this all made sense. My doctor up'd my pain medication from 5/500 Vicodin to 10/500 and whew we whew I'm not used to it yet. HEHE!

Jeremy

Thanx :pray:

Yep it´s freehand.....

I´m used to enamels and use humbrol mostly but well because of mini me I´m considering going over to acrylics instead....

So the brown is a mix of enamels and thinned to about 50% and sprayed with 1.5 bar of preassure, think that´s about 20 PSI. The green is tamyia acrylics and that went down a bit unsmoother....I mixed it with alcohol and that made the paint dry a bit too fast and I got som clogging and lots of splutter. Think I´ll use warer or Tamyia thinner next time tho. ended up shooting it at 2 bar, about 30 psi.

I use an Iwata Custom Micron-B for the finer lines and a Iwata HP-CH for the general painting.

I'm just finishing up my first freehand camo (3 color) paint job as well. I also have an Iwata HP-CH but that is for my fine line stuff and my Badger 155 is used as a general painting AB. I thinned my paints about the same or more, and though the lines are pretty nice, I couldn't seem to get rid of the slight overspray between colors, regardless of thinner paint and varying the air pressure. The edge was just too soft for my liking, though it may be acceptable. I'lll have to post some pics to get some opinions on that. So I ended up having to go back through and touch up some of the uglier spots. I could just be being too picky about my work, we'll see once I post some pics.

Thanks for the info!

Brian

Thanx Ian and Jeremy :)

Brian,

There are ways and techniques to improve upon freehand cammo, for instance a light polish with a cloth or micro mesh can remove some softness and overspray.

I usually go over the edges with the base color as well to make it more even.

When you put on clear coats it makes it further more distinct since small nuance differences between the base color and the cammo disapears.

Here´s some of my freehand cammos:

Mitsu F-1 this was my first use of the HP-CH and it´s painted with Tamyia acrylics with Tamyia thinner. You get a very fine atomization with Tamyia colors due to the small size of the pigments. this is almost unachievable with humbrol enamels. In Xtracolor you get an even finer degree of atmoization when you shoot ...but it stinks like heck.

DSC01297.jpg

Mirage IIICJ, my first cammo with Custom MIcron-B. This is a mix of Hmbrol enamels and Agama acrylic, the light stone and brown is HUmbrol and the green is Agama. I had problems with Agama when mixed with alcohol since it dried too fast an caused *****tering and finally clogged the poor CM-B

DSC01425.jpg

And here´s the Persian Phantom,

And I`m actually quite displeased withg the paintjob on this, I used my CM-B for the cammo scheme but I failed to get a good mix of paint and thinner, it´s all painted in HUmbrol enamels. As you can see the pattern is a bitt too soft and undestinct compared with the Mirage. An added issue is that either my needle is bent or the nozzle is deformed because I don´t get a nice , straight spray cone anymore, it veers to the right and the spray image is a bit oval.

IMG_1580.jpg

And the F-5 is a bit better, I got the enamel mixes right but the Tamyia dark green got mixed with alcohol and caused clogging and spluttering.

IMG_2111.jpg

There a little quickie about my cammo painting :P