F-14 Tomcat weaponry config

Those GBU-24 need to be staggered as they were too wide and too long. So on the pallets they go something like this. (Maybe other way around depending on which station was on release first)

***| <- GBU-24

***|

***|

***|

***********| <- GBU-24

***********|

***********|

***********|

Sorry Zotted, but once the weapon stations are fixed points, how this staggered loadout could be done?

Felipe-

If I'm reading what you said correctly, what zotted is saying is the GBU-24 can't be loaded side by side, even if the hard points are fixed.

The reason being is because of a fin clearance issue.

From what I've read in Tony Holmes book, the GBU-24 was such a PITA (pain in the arse) weapon, they were singley loaded.

I can't say for sure I've even seen more than one loaded at any given time.

I never have understood why some modelers choose to load them (the GBU-24) side by side, but it must be a personal thing or a "cool factor" for some.

P.S. this is a very helpful thread to have.

Once Tomcats started carrying thier weight...in air to ground that is, it became a bit harder to get the loadouts right, fighter loads were pretty simple - at least until I read about the rear pallete problems here. The CBU loads are ones that I had not seen shown before.

I have something to loadout my R/M and Acad Bombcats with now.

Thanks for doing this

Also, *most* OEF/OIF loads were A-G with only one -9M or maybe -9 and -7. This was especially true later in the war when the A-A threat was zero. Also the -54 was retired in Sept 2004, so it wasn't see after that. GBU-38 was also cleared for VF-31 and -213 at the end of their life time.

• 9 years later...
32 minutes ago, Curiosity said:

Hey,

Anyone know if the F-14 could carry the AGM-84 Harpoon?  if so, how many?  Heavier but shorter than AIM 54, so as many as 6, but maybe only 4?

Curiosity never killed a tomcat....

Negative

Steve

"TOMCATS FOREVER, BABY...!"

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone, 

Sorry to bring this topic backup, or ask these questions in the wrong place.

I'm currently building the Italeri kit of the VF-1 Wolfpack and have a question regarding payloads.

Did this aircraft ever carry a Lantirn pod and if so what payload would have gone on her, I stubled across this forum while trying to find info on payloads. I have the Academy version of the Bombcat which I was going to take the weapons from as i'm going to build that one as the F14 from Top Gun so I wont need all the weapons.

And one more question Tomcat vs Bombcat whats the differance or was it only the amount of payload it could carry.

Thank you for any help.

@GreyGhost is correct, VF-1 was disestablished before LANTIRN was adopted by the Tomcat. In that era (post-Desert Storm) only a select number of F-14 squadrons were just beginning to experiment with regular air-to-ground operations, so it's doubtful the Wolfpack would've spent any time away from traditional air-to-air. 

Assuming the Italeri decals you mean are for the classic "high viz" scheme (red & white markings on a gray over white airframe), then a bomb load would be particularly out of place since that scheme dates back to the Tomcat's debut cruise circa 1974.  Depending on the exact era there are also some minor differences in missile armament (e.g. sub-type of Sidewinders carried, AIM-54A vs AIM-54C).  If you're not sure and want to be accurate this forum is a great place to ask! 

To give you an idea of the changes in VF-1 markings over time, here's a link that shows photos ranging from their initial cruise to final year of service:

Seaforces VF-1

Note you can search other squadrons on the same site, though Tomcat squadrons are a mix of those now disestablished (VFs) and those that converted to Super Hornets (VFAs).

As to "Bombcat," this is just a generic nickname used for any F-14A/B/D that was used in the air-to-ground role.  Other than the bomb racks mounted to the belly Phoenix pallets, there was no special equipment needed for the planes to fly that mission. The software was programmed for it from delivery, but never officially cleared or used operationally by the US until the early 1990s. 

The Tomcat took on increasing multirole responsibility as the A-6 Intruder was retired.  The LANTIRN targeting pod (1/2 of the dual pod system developed for USAF F-15Es and F-16s) was adapted for use on the Tomcat starting in 1995 to give it the ability to "self-designate" laser guided munitions. So LANTIRN was essentially a "Better Bombcat."

Thank you @GreyGhost @Quixote74 and @GW8345

You guys seam to have a wealth of knowledge 😀 thank you. I’ll be keeping it to just Air to Air configuration 2 Sidewinders and 2 Sparrows on the outer pylons and 2 Phoenix on the front centre pallets, then and I’ll have to see about getting another F14 model so I can have the Lantrin fitted would look at a F14D instead. 

@Quixote74 yes the model I’m doing is the high viz version the best colour scheme “well that’s just my own opinion” and as you mentioned the A-6 that’s another kit I would like to build. 

Thank you guys for your knowledge and help. 

Glad to help out. If you're doing an F-14A from VF-1 on Enterprise, the Tomcat's first cruise, it'll be a nice "bookend" to also do a D-model Bombcat from one of the last cruises. VF-2 and VF-31 have some really great schemes for combat veterans.

As for your VF-1 model, the AIM-54s at that time (circa 1974) were A-models, Sidewinders would have been AIM-9D or G (which are externally identical), and Sparrows would be AIM-7Es. All of the above were predominantly white, forward (guidance) section and fins on the AIM-9s being anodized steel (dark metallic gray-green).