My 4th "NEW BUILD" in 35 years!

Well I numbered my panels and my templates, that way I know which ones go where. I got the stabilizer flaps glued into position and the airelon flaps glued into position. Then I got to work on some of the landing flaps this coming weekend.

I am going to cut all my panels before I cut the fuselage in half. I am going to cut the section out, reassemble the top halve and mid section of the fuselage, then use a knife or something, I don't know yet, and cut the aluminum panels where they need to be ripped from the fuselage, then after that assemble the wings, and stabilizer, etc, look it over real good, then paint!

SANY0588.jpg

AND I had 4 of these puppies last night!

SANY0586.jpg

SANY0587.jpg

The templates I made. I test made 2 panels, (Radiator exhaust duct), and scoop inlet), and checked them for fit and size. Looks like it will be good.

Well I got part of the outside fuselage panel done that includes the radiator exhaust vent. I am not too much concerned about adding detail panel lines, etc as this part will be destroyed and damaged anyway.

This will be my very first diarama that I have ever built. So I can't wait to see the outcome!

SANY0589.jpg

Here I got the pieces cut and formed thanks to using the Trumpeter etched kit as templates for the radiator exhaust vent, and interior housing.

SANY0590.jpg

SANY0591.jpg

Here is it all put together, using super glue.

SANY0592.jpg

What do you guy's think so far?

Well, I got the flaps glued into position. I only have the stabilizers and wing attached to the plane but not glued yet, I am not going to glue them until I cut the fuselage and make the damage to it.

I had to cut the rudder, and reform it with some styrene sheet due to the rudder lines not matching up.

SANY0593.jpg

SANY0594.jpg

SANY0595.jpg

Well, I was trying to figure out how I was going to make the skeleton frame and what was the process I was going to do. I decided the best that I should do is to make a skeleton template of where there aircraft subframe structures should be. So I decided to take some styrene and insert it in the fuselage section I cut out. After the styrene structure dries, I am going to glue some more side strips so it will keep it's shape when I remove it from the inside of the fuselage.

Then I can start to make the actual structure that will be used to make the skelton section that the aluminum fuselage section will be glued to. Also, with my process of the "new" structure inside the fuselage section as simulated in the photos, once the "NEW" structure is built and the plane will then be put back together as a whole, (except the section under the fuselage behind the radiator vent scoop), then the aluminum will be test fitted to see where it needs to be flush with the rest of the fuselage.

Once I have the aluminum shimmed up so to speak and glued to the skeleton structure, then the aluminum will be cut where the aircraft was split in two.

I hope to have the skeleton structure done by this weekend.

SANY0601.jpg

SANY0599.jpg

SANY0600.jpg

The styrene is only spot glued so when the rest of the frame dries, it won't be that hard to remove from inside the fuselage.

Well, while I was waiting for the glue to dry on my skeleton fuselage I decided to go ahead and glue the main wings to the fuselage and the stablizers to the rear section.

I am waiting on my 1/35 Willy's jeep to get here, which should be the end of next week. Then I still have to locate a 5 ton truck for the wrecker that I have to scratch build and guess what the rest of it looked like in the photo of Don's wrecker plane, then the ground crews, etc.

Someone mentioned a 2 1/2 ton truck for the wrecker, but I am thinking if they used it for recovering aircraft etc, 2 1/2 ton wouldn't be sufficient enough to pick up half an airplane so I am going with a 5 ton wrecker.

I got to somehow scratch build the bomb racks as Revell didn't include them in the model, so that is another that I am going to attempt!

One thing I think I like about using the beer can is that the inside is lined with a coating. I am going to sand the coating off and when I paint the model and I cut/rip the aluminum where it is supposed to be according to the photo, along with making scratch marks from the planes crash on the paint. Scraping and scratching will be nice and shiny somewhat which will give it the bare metal look from damage.

I also photo copied the decal sheet, so I am thinking on making masks for the lettering, stars and bar, checker board etc. I am going to attempt to paint it all, including the scroll, being the decal sheet doesn't have Don's total kills on it. Now the boxing eagle, I will use the decal for that one!

SANY0602.jpg

Edited by TheHarleyMan2

Well I got the skeleton fuselage glued in and got the correct spacing between the front and rear fuselage. I decided I wasn't going to be too concerned about detail for the skeleton, I just needed something to support the aluminum.

The second photo I just layed the aluminum on the fuselage where it is supposed to go so you could see it in place. Once the glue dries, I got to trim the skeleton fuselage at the bottom, shim it for the aluminum, then super glue the aluminum to the skeleton frame, paint, (lots more work to do for the paint), then cut the aluminum where it is supposed to be in the crash photo, and finish up the bottom of the fuselage. I got some stretched sprue for wires, lines, etc between the main fuselage and the rear as if those parts are still attached to the control surfaces for the rudder and stablizers, etc.

I was going to make some rivets for the aluminum, but I haven't decided on that yet. I know if I did it would match the rest of the airplane.

SANY0603.jpg

SANY0604.jpg

Well I hadn't been at it a while and 2 days ago, I decided to get back to it being I really didn't like the skeleton fuselage I made so I nixed it. I removed the old skeleton frame and just went ahead and used styrene strips to follow along the frame work.

SANY0607.jpg

I finally got my aluminum pretty well decent being this is the 5th piece I made after the others didn't turn out right, (looked good, but when to fit the aluminum on the fuselage one side was tweaked more than the other side so it didn't line up right). After too much trimming I had to redo it, then redo it, then you know the deal! I got it pretty close this time with the acception of adding a little putty here and there, being every time I tried before, (due to the kits unaligned panel lines for each side), I finally got it to fit right. I got it superglued to the frame work.

I guess being this is a first attempt with me, I guess I am happy with it so far. At least I got the aluminum even with the surface of the fuselage! That counts at least!

SANY0606.jpg

SANY0605.jpg

Once the putty dries I am going to add some more to smooth out the little mistakes and scrib the panel lines where it needs to be corrected. I found out by using 0000 steel wool gets the access putty off the rivets without really doing any harm to them.

I still have to make the bomb racks for the plane being it didn't have any. Any help or sugestions on how to make them out of styrene with photos would be helpful.

I am going to let it sit for a day before I add more putty and smooth it all out. Probably in the next week or so I am going to go ahead with paint and make the other small panels and parts that supposedly got ripped off the plane during the crash.

I cut out some of the copied decal letters for the airplane so I can make tape templates to paint the letters and insignias on the airplne. I do however have to figure out about the boxing eagle being the Revells kit is totally wrong and the background color is wrong as well.

I got my Willy's jeep in the mail yesterday, so that gives me something to do in 2 weeks or so.

Edited by TheHarleyMan2