F-104 C Starfighter question

I'm just building Hasegawa's 1:32 F-104 C Starfighter in the very colorful markings of Col. George Laven's personal aircraft (56-891/FG-891),479 TFW based at George AFB, California. If I can trust the profiles I have at hand (On Target Profiles and Warpaint No. 43), this bird had already an arresting hook, but I've just found a picture of a 4 Ship Formation F-104 C's of the 479TFW and none of these F-104's had an arresting hook.

Can anybody of you guys help me to prevent that I make a fault ? A picture of Col. Laven's bird would be great. Thanks in advance!

Flightliner

Edited by Flightliner

Have you tried contacting the Wing and the particular Squadron to see if they have any shots in their archives? If you contack the Wing you would probably have ot go through the Office Of Information.

George's ugly bird was painted that way for a gunnery meet at Nellis in 1958. It was also one of the first Cs assigned to the 479th. It did NOT have a hook.

TAC headquarters troops (and most everybody else) were not impressed with the flamboyant paint, and he was rather pointedly informed to remove it.

Norm Filer (479th 1956-1960)

I found a pic in the Squadron In Action No. 27 on the 104. It shows Col. Laven standing beside a vintage station wagon which is parked in front of his 104. Caption reads,"One of the more colorfully marked F-104's was this "C" model, flown by WW II ace Col. George Laven Jr., CO of the 479th TFW, George AFB, Calif. in the early 60s. This aircraft is the subject of Hasegawa 1/32nd scale model of the F-104C. It later saw service in the Vietnam War and was eventually to serve with the Puerto Rico ANG." David Menard Photo. Pic is pretty small, 2.5" x 5". Don M.