Cold Lake T-33 1955-Completed

OK if someone south of the border enters? I am married to a lovely Canadian lady. I have always wanted to build a T-33 model for my father in law to honor his service in the RCAF. He served in the 1950's as a jet engine mechanic on T-33's. His last posting was at Cold Lake in 1955. He was talking about it a few months ago and he shared that he got a few rides in the jet and he had a log book with aircraft serial numbers. So I am building a model of a jet he flew in.

I am building the Academy 1/48 T-33. I replaced the cockpit with a True Details set and used Mike Grant instrument decals for the panels. Cockpits are my favorite part of building so that was fun. I am at the painting stage now. I really appreciate all the help I have gotten from ARC members especially ALF18 who has been a great help with references and advised me that it would be in the AB+3 scheme and suggested Belcher Bits for decals which I have ordered. One thing I still need help on is if anyone knows the two letter designation for the Base Flight at Cold Lake? Once I have that I can complete the model.

Any comments would be welcome.

Thanks,

Tom

DSC_0030.jpg

DSC_0002-1.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

Edited by Tom G

Hi everyone,

Well the build is coming along nicely. The model is assembled and painted and I got my Belcher Bits decals in the mail today. I will post a few more pictures shortly. I talked to my father in law again and he told me he was in the Cold Lake Operational Training Unit (OTU). Any one happen to know the two letter unit designation for that unit?

Thanks,

Tom

Edited by Tom G

Ok,

According to the Holy Grail of Canadian Aircraft Markings (Royal Canadian Air Force Aircraft Finish and Markings by Patrick Martin) this is what I found for OTU.... AB+3 Era

BN 6(S/T) OTU

JF 3(F)OTU

XV 2(M)OTU <---- Argus Conversion Unit

VF Cold Lake Base Flight

HTH

:rofl:

Emil

Hi everyone,

Here's an update. I am in the home stretch now. I really appreciate the help I have gotten from a lot of you on this model, especially ALF18 who pointed me in the right direction for an accurate paint scheme. Mike Belcher of Belcher Bits was great to send a set of decals out quickly. They are great and allow you build a CT-133 of any time period in the RCAF or Canadian Forces. Pat Martin was very helpful researching the s/n of this aircraft so that I can tell my father in law it's operational history. I'll post some more when it is actually done.

Merry Christmas,

Tom

DSC_0231.jpg

DSC_0230.jpg

DSC_0226.jpg

DSC_0222.jpg

Tom

Looking very nice - I'm happy that Mike Belcher could come through for you with the decals at such short notice. It seems that the Christmas period is full of little emergencies, and I for one am not surprised that he was able to meet your desired deadline.

The build is going quickly now - paint is good, and decals coming along nicely.

Looking forward to seeing the end result.

ALF

That's really looking sharp, Tom. Can't wait to see this one done.

Ok,

According to the Holy Grail of Canadian Aircraft Markings (Royal Canadian Air Force Aircraft Finish and Markings by Patrick Martin) this is what I found for OTU.... AB+3 Era

BN 6(S/T) OTU

6 Strike/Reconnaissance was the CF-104 OTU at Cold Lake, which later became 417 Squadron.

Cheers,

Sean

Nice work on the 'ol Hobbycraft repop. Just think, an original Canadian model company, that had their kits made in Korea, now having the same kits sold by a Korean company... and you're doing it in a Canadian scheme.

There has to be some twisted irony, there.

Well, I finished the model with one day to spare before Christmas. Was there ever any doubt? lol I used the Belcher Bits RCAF/CAF T-33 decals and they were really nice, they snugged down really well with Micro sol. I then put another gloss coat on to seal the decals and then a wash to highlight the panel lines and bring out the rivets. My father in law was quite surprised and happy when he saw it. It brought back a lot of memories for him. The last picture is him and I.

All the best for the New Year,

Tom

DSC_0241.jpgDSC_0242.jpg

DSC_0243.jpgDSC_0244.jpg

DSC_0245.jpgDSC_0246.jpgDSC_0247.jpgDSC_0248.jpgDSC_0255.jpg

Tom

Superb job! You did very well to figure out the paint scheme, numbers, decals, etc - all with a very short time line. From the look on your Father-in-law's face, he definitely appreciated your efforts. The finished product is very nicely done.

ALF

• 3 weeks later...