Thanks fot this notice Spejic.

I might've overseen this detail and it would be worthwile of fixing, if I didn't come to this phase.

I'm afraid not to mess up something, as I've already started painting process, so I think I'll leave it as it is.

Anyway thanks for this comment, as I've ;earned something new about Hornet - I'm not so familiar with all details on this aircraft, so it is good to learn something new :woot.gif: Thanks!

Regards,

Srdjan

Thanks Mike.

Regarding to paint process, I've wrote down on paper steps to follow :whistle:

As rear part of this Hornet is in yellow/orange, I need to spray some white as a base colour, in order to have the colourful those two... I'll try to use grey primered surface as some kind of "preshading" for yellow - I did it once on 1/72 F-104, hopefully it will be possible to do it here too :whistle:

However, there will be a lot of masking, as there are 2 greys, black, white, yellow and orange to spray... :whistle:

Cheers

Srdjan

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...I see. I was thinking that because the model was so tiny they might have included decals for the whole thing rather than have you mask and spray different sections. It should turn out well then, based on what you've already done.

I don't know if it's just my computer or the light of the photo but it looks like the areas you have painted white could use another coat. The white still looks quite grey. Just a suggestion my good man. Like I said, it could be my computer, the lighting or even my failing eyes. In any event, this is quite the undertaking.

Keep it up. Painting will look nicer than decals any day of the week anyway. :woot.gif:

Mike

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...I see. I was thinking that because the model was so tiny they might have included decals for the whole thing rather than have you mask and spray different sections.

Well, parts of rear "livery" actually are given as decals - black "hornet stripes" on upper part of fuselage, and black-orange part on lower part of fuselage.... yellow base according to the manuals must be sprayed... but anyway, I'm trying to spray as much as I can, because orange on decals isn't really matched with orange I have in inventory :rofl:

I don't know if it's just my computer or the light of the photo but it looks like the areas you have painted white could use another coat. The white still looks quite grey. Just a suggestion my good man. Like I said, it could be my computer, the lighting or even my failing eyes. In any event, this is quite the undertaking.

No problem Mike, I made the photos a bit darker on purpose - I wanted to show "preshading" effect, so I had to darken photos a bit in order to make this effect visible :nanner:

In reality white is really white, it should turn out good after layer of yellow - today I'm gonna spray yellow so, keep fingers crossed :yahoo:

Thanks for the support! :cheers:

Regards,

Srdjan

Srdjan,

Firstly I am SO impressed by the tiny scale and your amazing scratchbuilding.

You make it look SO easy but you can tell by the way you are working that it is

hard work.You have done a fantastic job on this so far and I am enjoying your fast, neat clean build.

Love the color scheme on this Hornet.Reminds ME of the colors of a wasp.

Yes this is going to be one to watch for sure.

HOLMES :rofl::nanner:

Thanks Holmes :rofl:

Today I've sprayed yellow colour over yesterday's white primered surfaces.

I've used Acryl MM4683 (chrome yellow), and must admit that MM acryl colours are very strange for work - they have very short drying time, and during work require regular nozzle tip "wetting" with alcohol. After some time of work, colour turns into some kind of "gummy skim" that clogs the nozzle and make nozzle cleaning very demanding job :rofl:

For brush painting these acryls are very good, but it seems that are very demanding for airbrush work - Aztec airbrush worked well with them but H&S Evolution with 0.2 nozzle definitely chokes...

I think I'm gonna expand my assortiment of Gunze colours very soon! :rofl:

OK, here are the photos of today's work

Day11-03.jpg

Day11-04.jpg

I've also sprayed bottom part of rear fuselage into yellow, because I did the test sample of different base colours for orange, and it turned out that orange looks more similar to orange on decals if base colour underneath it is yellow rather than white!

Arrestor hook (not photographed as it is still on sprue) is also "primered" into yellow....

Please do comment,

Srdjan

I've just finished with Orange on this one!

I tried to match Orange colour on decals by mixing Gunze H24 (orange yellow) and H14 (orange) in 2:1 ratio... comparing to decals it seems pretty close... it remains to be seen if I matched the colour after decal positioning.... :rolleyes:

Day12-01.jpg

Detail of lower rear fuselage (arrestor hook is also painted in this orange mixture)

Day12-02.jpg

I sprayed rear fuselage sides also, because decal has sharp edge while transition beetween orange and yellow on real plane is rather soft! Hopefully this will soften final look a bit...

Day12-03.jpg

Details of upper rear fuselage - I chose to do the freehand spraying rather than using masks, so some overspray occured, and those two orange "stripes" are a bit wider than on real plane, but it's not a big deal - in reality it looks better (I apply Photoshop's Sharpen filter to the photos so almost every dot of overspray is very visible :D)

Day12-04.jpg

Day12-05.jpg

Day12-06.jpg

Day12-07.jpg

I'll leave colour to dry thoroughly so I can mask these orange/yellow areas for next step - camouflage grey shades....

Thanx for reading, I hope you have some comments/critiques on my work ;)

Srdjan

Yellow/orange areas and wheelbays are masked with Tamiya tape and blutack.

I was working on Fw 190D-9's cockpit so I've used rest of Gunze H416 (RLM66) in airbrush cup to do the preshading on Hornet :thumbsup: Preshading is not so heavy so it should turn out OK after shades of grey that follow soon....

Day13-01.jpg

Day13-02.jpg

Next step is Light ghost grey for the bottom parts...

Cheers,

Srdjan

Looking good, sir. Lots of work for such a small model. I hope the decal and sprayed orange colours are close enough of a match that it doesn't look out of place.

Keep it up. :)

@AX 365: I compared this mixture of orange applied on "test kit" with orange on decals, and it looks very similar... hopefully the difference will not be so big :salute:

Today I've sprayed Model Master enamel Light Ghost Grey on bottom parts of both Hornets. After initial coat I've added few drops of White, and with that lightened mixture sprayed middle parts of panels - effect of preshading is pretty well visible thanks to this step....

Day14-01.jpg

Canadian Hornet received LGG coat on outer bottom part of vertical tails too...

Day14-02.jpg

Now I'm leaving both "key rings" to rest a day or so, and then go for upper part of cammo - darker shade of grey on this one!

Thanks for reading,

Srdjan

Today I've finished with darker Grey on upper side... (Gunze H337 - FS35237)

Day15-03.jpg

After a while I unmasked the model in order to see how it looks like :D

Day15-04.jpg

Day15-05.jpg

Comparison with American Hornet that received different Grey on upper side (Gunze H307 - Dark Ghost Grey)

Day15-06.jpg

All main painting is done on this one, the rest of the "livery" is represented by decals!

Cheers,

Srdjan

Few days ago I painted tip of the radome with acrylic Model Master Radome Tan.

Today I gave Hornet a protective coat of Future, before the most important phase on this kit - decals!

Preshading effect can be seen very well now, as Future "darkens" colour a bit....

Day17-01.jpg

Day17-02.jpg

I'll leave Future to cure few days, and then I'll go on with decals - hopefully everything will turn out ok...

Thanks for reading,

Srdjan

Ken, I can't wait to start decaling phase either! :cheers:

I think I'll start work on Canadian decals during weekend as I'll have a plenty of time on disposal.

Probably I'll start with work from middle part of decals - one on the back of fuselage, because it has to be aligned both with cockpit segment and with vertical tails...

Well, may the Force be with me... :cheers:

Cheers,

Srdjan

Well, here we are! I've been waiting for weekend to do the most awaited part of this build - decals!

Decals applied, the kit overcoated with protective layer of Future, so waiting for wash now...

Day18-06.jpg

Day18-07.jpg

Day18-08.jpg

On the nose, I've painted blue blister anntenas, as decals were mismatched with scratchbuilt antennas!

Day18-09.jpg

I've started decaling phase from big decal on the spine - with "Canada" sign and maple leaf. I was worried how it will turn out as decal began to wrinkle under Microscale Sol, but in the end everything was fine. Only surgical move that had to be done was removal of antena on the spine and under the nose, as there was no hole in decal for this detail - I will glue back these antenas in the end!

Decals on wings lined up well with that big one on spine, and I just made a hole on decal on both sides for that "gap" near the spine... Thanks to decal solution every panel line is still visible - even after few layers of Future!

Day18-10.jpg

Main problem was here - on vertical tails - decals were printed smaller then they should be, so after their positioning, leading edges of tails were still in grey colour painted beneath, instead of black! So, I brush painted them with some flat black...

I've made "fountain fill" effect below the tail - orange decal had tiny white edge, visible on yellow/orange background, so I mixed up orange as during painting, and brush made that colour transition effect - am pretty satisfied with result!

Day18-11.jpg

Black part in front of nose gear wheelbay is painted in black a bit, as I had to move decal a bit forward in order to align it well with two nose decals previously applied...

Day18-12.jpg

And... the part of the job that was the biggest puzzle - did I mix up the orange properly to match the orange on decals?

Well, I must say that I almost matched it - the difference in shades is so minor that it is almost invisible!

(rear end is painted orange, while bigger parts with black stripes are decals)

What do you think folks?

Day18-13.jpg

And here are two more photos that show this interesting livery....

Day18-14.jpg

Day18-15.jpg

So, next phase is wash... stay tuned!

Thanx for reading! :)

Please do comment if you wish...

Srdjan

Looks like you overcame lots of challenges with those decals. And your colour matching was superb. You've done a better job in 1/144 than I can in 1/72 - excellent work.

When you apply the wash, go easy. These special scheme aircraft were kept quite clean. The one area where I would put some dark streaks on it is the belly, behind the wheel wells where the engines leak a bit of fuel and oil that tends to get dirty.

ALF

Thanx ALF - it didn't take me too long to finish the wash and applying protective coat of varnish... :whistle:

Wash is done with artists Winsor & Newton oil colours - black and white, thinned with W&S white spirit.

I've tried not to overdo the wash, maybe it looks a bit darker than it should, but it was the same mixture as for other kit I washed first. Regarding to oil streaks, I'll simulate those in the end with pigments/pastels...

After a while I've sprayed two different mixtures of varnish on model:

1. Grey surfaces were given a coat of MM Matt varnish (lacquer version packed in rounded bottle)

2. All those "decorative painted" surfaces were sprayed with MM Semigloss + a bit of Matt, as reference photos show that livery was glossy except basic camouflage (grey areas).

Day19-06.jpg

Day19-07.jpg

You can see the difference beetween those two mixtures of varnish on following photos (front part of the wing is matt, and rear end is more glossy).

Day19-08.jpg

Day19-09.jpg

Day19-10.jpg

Day19-11.jpg

As I'm doing another Hornet for other groupbuild, here is the shot of both "bugs" with reference objects, in order to see the effect of preshading and wash in this tiny scale... B)

Day19-12.jpg

Day19-13.jpg

What was left to do is painting of tiny details and glueing of exhaust nozzles, landing gear and other small parts, and unmasking of canopy!

Hopefully, this build will be finished in a week...

Cheers, and thanks for reading,

all comments and/or critiques are very welcome!

Srdjan

Edited by SrkiRad

Thanks Spit1A :woot.gif:

What I was most afraid of was the question "Will this kit be tailsitter?". Well, it turned out all well! Kit stands steady on landing gear without any balast in nose!

Day20-05.jpg

Exhaust nozzles were brush painted with Model Master Metalizers (few shades), and buffed in the end - I will add some more weathering on them with a little help of Tamiya weathering sets...

Day20-08.jpg

Day20-09.jpg

Spotlight on left side of nose was painted with Model Master Chrome Silver, while "glass" over it was made with Microscale Kristal Klear and glued with gloss lacquer. Same story goes for landing light on nose gear. I've also brush painted "traffic lights" below landing light - red, orange and green spots - red arrows show these details.

Day20-06.jpg

Day20-07.jpg

I only have to glue wheelbays doors and few more details, and to paint few details, to do the subtle weathering "here and there", and I can call this one done in few days... :woot.gif:

Thanx for reading,

Srdjan

Thanx for kind words Charlie and Phantom :thumbsup:

Today I can say the work on this project is finally done!

I've finished some small paintings and glued tiny details in recent days, and also weathered kit with Tamiya Weathering D set (exhaust nozzles with burnt orange and blue, and few oil stains on wings and on the bottom side of rear fuselage)

Enough words, here are the photos!

I hope you've enjoyed this build of mine as much as I did

Thanx for reading and please do comment

Srdjan

Day27-26.jpg

Day27-27.jpg

Day27-30.jpg

Day27-37.jpg

Day27-39.jpg

Day27-40.jpg