Best 1/48th Prop Kit

To many the Tamiya Spitfire Mk.IXc is the best injection molded 1/32 kit produced to date what do you think the best 1/48 injection molded prop kit is? Taking into account all around fit and detail.

Would if be the Tamiya 1/48 P-47?

The Tamiya kits are indeed superb but the most impressive 1/48 kit I've seen is still the Accurate Miniatures TBF/TBM Avenger, overall accuracy, detail level, molding quality and fit put it on par with any Tamiya kit.

The Tamiya kits are indeed superb but the most impressive 1/48 kit I've seen is still the Accurate Miniatures TBF/TBM Avenger, overall accuracy, detail level, molding quality and fit put it on par with any Tamiya kit.

Agreed!

I was tempted, I've got that Avenger kit (the TBM-3) that I'll be using the belcher bits conversion to make it a RCN Avenger in the ASW role with - but haven't looked into it that much. It is a heavy box though, very crisp molds too... but I still am partial to the Swordfish.

I have to agree with Tamiya also, but it would be nice to have some new kits. The only thing new in the last 7 years or so has been Japaenese kits as far as props go. From 1993 to 2004 we had P-51's, F4U's, P-47RB, D and M, ME262, F4F, Mosquito, Beaufighter, etc. There has been nothing since really, bunch a of repops like the FW190's, I mean give a new wing and some parts but why not update the whole kit like they did with their old Zero kits, the new Zero kits are nice, how about new FW190 updates like get rid of this molded on gun barrels and they crappy small tires, fix the lenght of the landing gears, basically retool the FW190's and how about a A5 and A6. And why not give us a F6F, Typhoon, Hurricane, P-38, etc. And there Bf109e's are so nice, why stop there, pop the F and G series, will kick Hasegawa's butt.

I know Tamiya kits even if they are 15+ years old sell like hot cakes, so maybe they feel the don't have to do new tooled kits. And this stuff they are doing with Italeri, come on, just not the same.

What about some bombers, like a B-17, B-25, a couple german bombers.

It will be interesting to see what the future brings for Tamiya, they may very well just focus on 1/32 props now. Just think they pop 1/32 FW190, F4U, P-51B and D, my god they will sell trillions. I know guys that don't even like the Spitfire that much but they all have 3 or more of Tamiya's 1/32 scale spits.

I took some time tonight to take a close look at the Avenger some have mentioned here...

...that look turned into curiosity... ...which turned into getting the knife and cutters... ...which turned into dry fitting parts... ...which turned into being really impressed... ...which turned into me changing my mind.

WOW! What a kit!

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by Kostucha

I'll offer something a little different (in addition to the already mentioned Tamiya and Accurate Miniatures Aveneger kits).

The new, Great Wall FW-189 kit.

Although I can't comment on the fit and build yet, this is one of the most impressive kits I've seen "in the box" for some time. A real beauty.

A close second would be the Cyber Hobby (Dragon) Bf-110 kit (again, I can't comment on building it yet).

Cheers,

Motty.

Edited by Motty

I'd agree with Motty about the CyberHobby/Wingtech Bf110D-3. The moulding are clean, well detailed, even the framing of the canopy shows the rivets. I haven't really started mine proper yet, but one little grumble is that the engines supplied are in their "fresh out of the crate" state, there are fixings and pipelines missing. But overall just superb, I can't wait to get started!

Max

Snip.

I have to agree with Tamiya also, but it would be nice to have some new kits. The only thing new in the last 7 years or so has been Japaenese kits as far as props go.

Agree they have been notoriously slow to release new non-Japanese 1/48 props, but you are forgetting the Fi156 Storch? Released late '07/ early '08.

Anyway, for my part I'd agree with most (in no particular order) on the Tamiya Zero, AM Avengers, Dragon Bf110. Have the Fw189 on the way so can't comment yet.

Also to consider, even with their faults, are the new Eduard Fw190s and F6Fs. Say what you will, but you get a lot of bang for the buck; nice surface detail, full engines, good decals, colour PE, masks, etc. With careful building and fitting, these can turn into real head turners.

Really, this is one of those "how long is a piece of string" questions. Everyone will have different opinions based on what's important to them in a kit. There really is no definitive "THIS kit is THE best 1/48 prop" answer. But I challange any manufacturer to prove me wrong :thumbsup:

Edited by Modelmkr