Harrier Retirement

Well today is a sad day in the UK as the Harrier finally stands down from UK operations.

I will not go into the whys and wherefores but just to say we will miss it.

Some pics of the final aircraft here: http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2010/...al-flights.html

I just love the retro one.

Bye bye Harrier :wave::salute::jaw-dropping:

Julien

That's sad. It got a lot of flack over the years, but it sure did real well in the Falklands and Desert Storm.

I still remember the first time I saw a Harrier fly. It was an AV-8A at an airshow back in the mid 70's. To me, it even stole the show from the Blue Angels.

Hawker Siddeley and McDonnell Douglas did a fine job on this aircraft IMO.

I thought it was just the navy birds?

Sadly the Navy birds went in 2006 (another bad decision) then Fleet Air arm had been flying RAF Birds.

Now they are all gone, inlcuding the recently refurbished aircraft!

Julien

I read a good article in an defense journal a couple of weeks ago, where it was explained how some very senior

RAF officers convinced the defence secretary (or however he is called in GB) in the last evening of prior publishing the

result of the defence review, to axe the harriers instead of the GR-4's. That the admirality was quite upset about it is an understatement.

Too bad, but as long as there is enough money to save troubled finance institutes with tax payers money life is good... :monkeydance:

Scout

Well today is a sad day in the UK as the Harrier finally stands down from UK operations.

I will not go into the whys and wherefores but just to say we will miss it.

Some pics of the final aircraft here: http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2010/...al-flights.html

I just love the retro one.

Bye bye Harrier :wave::salute::thumbsup:

Julien

Nice link Julien :monkeydance: I`m unashamedly bumping this one.

Big-up and thanks to Team Harrier for 40 years.

We are less without you. :salute:

Cheers, Ian