Have your say!  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which scheme would you rather see this Tomcat in?

• VF-213 AJ201 (Black)
    • VF-213 AJ213 (Blue)
    • VF-31 AJ100 (Black and yellow)
  2. 2. Which catapult?

• Right breast (Seen in picture)
    • Left front (When looking towards the bows)
    • Right Front (When looking towards the bows)

Hello,

I have been working on other things recently but the Tomcat is progressing steadily. Major assembly is now complete, time to prime and preshade! I want to depict a fairly heavily worn-down paint TPS so I was quite hard on the pre-shading, but this will fade when the TPS is applied.

5499545516_0f0649d28e.jpg

As soon as this is painted I will start working on the deck, watch this space!

Arnaud

Thanks for the encouragements guys!

The paint job is making progress, quite slowly as I use Model Master paints and I am not very good with them. I keep obtained slightly rough surfaces not matter how I thin them so I have to polish after each layer :lol: I thin with White Spirit, is it not the right thing to do (I am not too keen on using lacquer thinner)?

I am trying to mimic what happens on a real aircraft, i.e. successive applications of paint of different shades (see below) and then dirt on top of it (later, with the salt method)

5519174795_1c43e24a95.jpg

A detail shot, you can see the slightly rough surface.

5519765120_a8f42e07fb.jpg

Any help on the paint thinning issue most welcome!

Arnaud

Hi Gervais8, it took me weeks (literally) to get the dimensions right from viewing thousands of pictures (mainly from Navy.mil) so I am actually thinking of setting up a (small) business with this catapult. Good luck with your endeavour though.

Here is the Tomcat as it is now. The paint job only misses a panel-lines wash, but I wanted to have people's opinion on hte current state of things before moving forward. I am modelling a reasonably clean aircraft, does this look right? How would you improve it?

5543348599_5a4409a9ee.jpg

5543349221_4d7ac796fb.jpg

By the way I decided to go with AJ-201, for the reasons given here :unsure:

Cheers,

Arnaud

• 2 weeks later...

Getting there with the paint, and decalling started...

5589889748_aac510b2e9_o.jpg

5589297599_55c7f41c53_o.jpg

The swiping marks were done with a brush taped to a compass. Some of the bits holding the aft elevons got knocked off in the process, I will replace them later (as late as possible!)

Cheers,

Arnaud

Nice job so far.

I would just lighten the sweeping marks. They stand out too sharp to me. Just as if they'd been drawn vs being the result of parts rubbing on each other.

I see you didn't glue the exhausts fairings before painting. I know it's not your first Hasegawa F-14, so you know what a pain they can be to fit. Any reason for leaving them aside?

Thanks Platypus.

I would just lighten the sweeping marks. They stand out too sharp to me. Just as if they'd been drawn vs being the result of parts rubbing on each other.

I agree they look quite sharp but that's how I think they look on the first picture I posted. I will tone them down a little though :whistle:

I see you didn't glue the exhausts fairings before painting. I know it's not your first Hasegawa F-14, so you know what a pain they can be to fit. Any reason for leaving them aside?

I fitted them with Milliput before the paint stage, so I am sure they will fit perfectly and it makes my life a lot easier to paint the engine exhausts :rolleyes:

Arnaud

The engine exhaust pipes are done, I will work on the nozzles tonight. I found it quite difficult to get the pipes to look right but after a lot of trial and error I'm quite happy with the result.

5592339549_fed69495b7_z.jpg

All comments welcome,

Arnaud

• 7 months later...

Hi all,

I'm sorry I have not posted any progress for a while, there are two (good) reasons for that:

1/ I moved from the UK to Austria over the summer with my family, quite a big thing indeed

2/ I forgot my camera in Vienna last month, just as my workbench was getting busy again, and I still have to get it back!

I have made quite a bit of progress though and I will share it with you as soon as I can get hold of a camera :)

Arnaud

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Gianni! If you are interested in the jet exhausts let me know, I have a few sets ready for my future projects but I don't mind sharing ;) I'm still working on the catapult section but it should be ready any time now :)

Here is the next BIG step of this project, the Jet Blast Deflectors (JBD). These are the two masters. It took a while to get the dimensions right but there it is. They were made in several steps, using a micro-milling machine except for the pipes, which are made from Evergeen rod. All comments are welcome, I' starting to cast them in a couple of weeks. The locks at the top end are still missing as well as the hinges in the middle.

External face:

6406282855_8e431702b3_z.jpg

Internal face:

6406282089_3e4e0fe06e_z.jpg

6406280085_1e2f196f9b_z.jpg

Cheers from Austria,

Arnaud

Edited by arnobiz

Thanks Gianni :)

Here is the progress so far on the Tomcat itself. The wings are finished as well as most of the fuselage, I still have to do the seats, pilots, canopy and pitot. THe weapons are another story, I need to get the new Hasegawa weapons set with the GBU-38 on it :)

with flash

6413273071_e8dbc57cbb_z.jpg

without flash

6413274213_77a4949829_z.jpg

6413275109_98aa158341_z.jpg

6413310623_7d1b0c3f52_z.jpg

The white stirpes in the front red area of the wings are simply stripes of white decal. I like it as this little detail adds some life to the area.

All comments and suggestions welcome,

Arnaud

Edited by arnobiz
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Little progress to report but I thought I would post a little trick I learned the hardway: how to reinforce landing gears (broken landing gears is actually something that put me off aircraft modelling about ten years ago).

First, drill the bar through (if there are two weels abviously, if there is just one go as far as you can without going through the wall opposite to the wheel!). Make a hole as big as you can. The limiting factor here is the size of the hole you can drill without being off the wheel axis and thus perforate the wall of the weel axis: a smaller drill strongly reduces the possibility of this happening.

6483059929_4d3728f875.jpg

Then glue a needle inside. I use cyanoacrylate.

6483061051_76d83e9f3f.jpg

Trim to size and file if necessary

6483062259_e8db875625.jpg

There is now little chance for this to break :)

Hope this helps someone!

Arnaud

Thanks Gianni! Don't bother painting the figures if you don't have time, I don't mind doing it :)

A little more progress on the front landing gear: the catapult bar

First, drill the Hasegawa part with a 0.5mm drill:

6493304597_f36765f307.jpg

Then, glue a needle inside with cyanoacrylate and add the relevant details (done here with Evergreen rod and Tamiya masking tape cut to size):

6493308249_768008a5a4.jpg

Next, try and cut (in loops, don't cut a big chunk of needle at once or you could make it too short and ruin your work). When the porper lenght is achieved add a little triangle at the end:

6493309485_f6a7178bec.jpg

Final result, primed with Vallejo white primer but not painted:

6493312473_5620ae06e6.jpg

More soon (hopefully!)

All comment and critics welcome, it's (almost) never too last to improve!

Arnaud

• 1 year later...

Arnaud,

Enjoying your thoroughness on this Tomcat.

Detail is everything at times.

I have been following it and it looks splendid so far.

You know TOMCATS are one of MY favorites so seeing an expert modeler like you is pure joy. :salute:

Thanks Holmes! Funnily enough I resumed work on this project this morning: I have to finish the JBD arms and then cast them. I now have seats and pilots so no excuse to postpone it further :)

Arnaud

Thanks Holmes! Funnily enough I resumed work on this project this morning: I have to finish the JBD arms and then cast them. I now have seats and pilots so no excuse to postpone it further :)/>

Arnaud

:thumbsup::worship: