1/35 Berkuts Mi-24 Display Team Decals?

Hi All,

This is my first post here at ARC Forums. I come from an Armour modelling background but have always loved planes and helicopters, so I finally decided to take the plunge and try my hand at aircraft modelling.

It certainly needs a whole new set of skills, and I'm actually really enjoying picking up new modelling tricks again. Anyway back to the point of my post.

I'm currently working on a 1/35 Trumpeter Mi-24 and I've been trying to locate some Decals that cover the Berkuts (Golden Eagles) Display Team emblems. So far I have only been able to find a 1/72 sheet from Authentic Decals that covers this team. Does anyone know if there is anything available in 1/35?

In particular I need a decal of the Team Badge that appears on the end of the stub wings, and the large eagle emblem that appears on the fuselage sides.

If I can't find anything I might have to go down the custom decal route...

Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Best wishes for the Holiday season!

Jon

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Jon!

Don't knbow of any Berkuty decals in 1/35, but maybe you could give Oleg of Authentic Decals a shout. He's a member here on the forums. HERE'S his member profile. Maybe he could help you out a bit. Don't know whether they intend to do anything in 1/35, but it can't hurt to ask, can it?

By the way, I'm a huge fan of your "Tea with Mr. Putin" diorama. :pray: Hope you'll get back to it one day. Followed the progress a bit on Armorama, but I'm no member there.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Jon!

Don't knbow of any Berkuty decals in 1/35, but maybe you could give Oleg of Authentic Decals a shout. He's a member here on the forums. HERE'S his member profile. Maybe he could help you out a bit. Don't know whether they intend to do anything in 1/35, but it can't hurt to ask, can it?

By the way, I'm a huge fan of your "Tea with Mr. Putin" diorama. ;) Hope you'll get back to it one day. Followed the progress a bit on Armorama, but I'm no member there.

Thanks for the help and details!

I have been searching lots of Russian and Belarusian forums for this also. I'm going to get the decal custom made now.

Glad you liked my Chechnya Dio. It suffered a sad fate by falling off my work table, but I have been rebuilding it slowly. I also considered changing the tank to a T-62. I plan to continue the diorama soon.

Thanks for the help and details!

I have been searching lots of Russian and Belarusian forums for this also. I'm going to get the decal custom made now.

Glad you liked my Chechnya Dio. It suffered a sad fate by falling off my work table, but I have been rebuilding it slowly. I also considered changing the tank to a T-62. I plan to continue the diorama soon.

Jon,

I assume you are modelling the 'Late' scheme. If you are competent with an airbrush then have a go at it yourself. The earlier scheme more complex, I used decal film, but the badges were home-made on my Alps Printer.

SA500417.jpg

The graphic for the team badge is readily available for custom printing, have a go, to be honest my biggest problem was getting the camo right! Admittedly it's in 1/72 but I'd urge you to give it a go. 1/25 is far more forgiving!

SA500405.jpg

Phil.

Jon,

I assume you are modelling the 'Late' scheme. If you are competent with an airbrush then have a go at it yourself. The earlier scheme more complex, I used decal film, but the badges were home-made on my Alps Printer.

SA500417.jpg

The graphic for the team badge is readily available for custom printing, have a go, to be honest my biggest problem was getting the camo right! Admittedly it's in 1/72 but I'd urge you to give it a go. 1/25 is far more forgiving!

SA500405.jpg

Phil.

Hi Phil, I am modelling the same helicopter from the May 9 2009 parade in Russia. It's yellow 52 of Berkuts team and has exactly this nose art as on your 1/72 model. Do you have any good quality image of the eagle emblem? Wonderful work by the way, beautifully done on such a small scale. Did you use masks for this?

Edited by Jon Fitzgerald
Hi Phil, I am modelling the same helicopter from the May 9 2009 parade in Russia. It's yellow 52 of Berkuts team and has exactly this nose art as on your 1/72 model. Do you have any good quality image of the eagle emblem? Wonderful work by the way, beautifully done on such a small scale. Did you use masks for this?

Jon,

I used a good picture of the graphic and scanned it, then modified it with a coputer programme. Finally I printed it on to clear decal using inkjet decal film. Close-up it's a bit ragged, but from a distance it looks okay. Some of the earlier machines were also sponsored by Stewart Aviation and had big sponsorship logos on them, the leaders bird was completely different, called Vertikal T it was mainly black with lots of coloured stripes on it, I've built this in 1/72 as well.

I also have the decals for the newest scheme, I just need a decent 1/72 Kit of the model. Tell me what you need in the way of graphics and I'll see what I can find.

Phil

Jon, here is the team badge which I think is the same as the one on the wingtip. The Team *might* have changed the colours, I've seen a newer version of it. If you see a picture of the complete team, you will notice that there are at least three different Camo variations under the stripes. Yous should be able to save this graphic, once it's resized it should be okay.

Patch_Berkuty.jpg

Cheers, and good luck with the build.

Phil

Jon, here is the team badge which I think is the same as the one on the wingtip. The Team *might* have changed the colours, I've seen a newer version of it. If you see a picture of the complete team, you will notice that there are at least three different Camo variations under the stripes. Yous should be able to save this graphic, once it's resized it should be okay.

Patch_Berkuty.jpg

Cheers, and good luck with the build.

Phil

Thanks but do you have an image of the eagle with the rockets that's on the nose art as well? I have a real hard time finding a good image of it.