1/48 Revell of Germany CL-13 Sabre 6

I had accepted a challenge from Emvar to build an Astra vacform 1/72 Avro Arrow. I looked at it and it scared the beejeezuz out of me. I've since informed Emil that I'm going to keep that project on the shelf for a bit until it doesn't seem so intimidating. Thanks for understanding Emil.

My first entry into this GB is as titled above. I won't be posting any photos (can't is more like it) of the build until we get our new computer. Unknown when. The Missus is making arrangements with a friend of hers to have a new one built or bought. We have a small Acer laptop that a friend has lent us until we get our new machine. Once we get the new box, I'll take some photos and post them.

The RoG Sabre is the same mould as the Hasegawa Sabre family. I started the build this morning. The rotten little dog woke me up at 0600 hrs to go out. I couldn't get back to sleep. As usual, this build is going for effect, not overall accuracy. I'm not sure which markings it will get. I have a plethora of schemes available to do. So far, the vent unique to JASDF Sabres on the right side near the speed brake has been removed and filled in. The drop tanks have been glued together as have the wings. I've grafted on the kit supplied resin wing tips. She'll be a Sabre 6. Maybe 434 Sqn? Maybe 416 Sqn? Maybe a Skylancer? Maybe a 3 Wing Guynemer Trophy winner? Who knows.

Stay tuned and thanks for letting me play.

Mike

Edited by AX 365

Whoa ... wait a second ... can you DO that? I mean, after all the build up ... the gauntlet was thrown, the challenge was accepted ... and then ... then ... allow me to refresh the memory.

:)

QUOTE (Emvar @ Nov 1 2010, 08:37 PM)

Hey Mike...... I'll challenge you. I've got an Astra Arrow 1/72nd Vac kit and Decals. It's all yours if you build it for the GB and bring it to Heritage Con.

.... I'll ship it your way. You buy me a beer when ever. Send me a PM wit your Addy if you dare...........

XXXX

I've never even contemplated attempting a vac form kit let alone built one. However, I accept the gauntlet that has been tossed at my feet. I've sent you my address so you can ship the kit. Thanks for your offer....I think. That gives me three months to get this thing put together and present it at HeritageCon. No pressure there whatsoever.

I look forward to this and I hope I can do this kit justice. If you see me at HeritageCon and I look like this... ...you'll know why."

XXXX

I, for one, ( ... not to mention the thousands of other viewers of this GB thread) was really looking forward to seeing a built-up, vacformed Arrow here, and in person at HeritageCon ... I mean, who backs away from an accepted challenge ... :tumble:

Emil, you let him off the hook way-y-y too easy. :whistle:

See ya HeritageCon! :wave:

Pete

... please take this this "as all in good fun" lads ... no harm intended!!

Somehow I get the feeling that Mike will be building that vacuform kit for this GB, just not right away? Let's not jump to conclusions...

ALF

ALF,

Yeah I have the feeling too, he just needs some inspiration.

Pete,

Sometimes it's just not working.... Like me for instance I haven't built an aircraft model in a bit. I'm actually building armour. I just can't get into it for some strange reason, so I understand.

Mike,

Take your time buddy!!

For Charlie and Scooby, the 416 Sqn markings it will be. That will complete the Swords representing 2 Wing for my long term project. :rofl:

As for the Astra vacform kit, I accepted the challenge before I even saw the kit. The instructions are quite vague and it looks like some scratch building will be required. I knew it wouldn't be a shake & bake kit like the ones I'm used to building but I find it very intimidating. Call me a wimp. That's fine. I have broad shoulders. They compliment my narrow mind. :woot.gif: I will attempt it one day. Just not today, tomorrow or next week. I doubt I'll have it done for Heritagecon 2010 Edition or the end of this GB. I will build it. I'm just not sure when.

I just sprayed the black for the cockpit pieces and the green for the landing gear wells. She's going to be the standard green / grey over PRU blue scheme. I'll be using Leading Edge stencils and CanMilAir main markings. I've added AMS Resin 'sugar scoops' to make it a more accurate Sabre 6.. That and Dave and Bill's decals are the only aftermarket I'm using on this. As usual, I'm going to plug the intake and exhaust with the kit covers to avoid the seam issue. Besides, a little red is a nice contrast to the three tone paint scheme.

Further updates to follow when more building is done.

Thanks for looking.

Mike

p.s. - all posts taken in jest as I knew they were :D

p.s. - all posts taken in jest as I knew they were :D

Good to know you took my comments in the spirit they were intended, whew ... :cheers:

I've got an Astra Arrow vacform in my meager stash, and was hoping to see how it's done. And I feel the same as you ... it'll get done, sometime, but not yet.

Hope you all have a very Merry Christmas :D and a happy and healthy 2011.

Pete

Wings on. Still no photos. No computer yet. We did get a new computer but our friend is attempting to get everything on the C drive from the old box onto the new box. Also looking a video card compatibility, blah blah blah...

Thanks ALF. Hope you and the family had a good time yourselves. I worked the entire weekend. It was busy with drunks, domestics, custody disputes and for the segment of the population who don't celebrate Christmas, it was just another day to them and there the usual types of calls such as traffic complaints and thefts, etc. The good thing is I only had one turkey dinner instead of 3 or 4!

Anyway, I digress. With the new computer, here are a few photos of what has been done so for. I will admit that these photos are from another Sabre I've built but the progress is identical except that this Sabre has tan seat belts instead of blue ones. I've also linked to the CanMilAir site to show what decals I'll be using.

Main Gear

DSC_0492.jpg

Sugar Scoops

DSC_0497.jpg

Filled Vent

DSC_0501.jpg

Wing Joint Filled With Evergreen Sheet

DSC_0485.jpg

Underside With Grafted Resin Wing Tips

DSC_0491.jpg

And the link to Bill's markings...

http://www.canmilair.com/products.asp?cat=63&pg=14

Thanks for looking folks and more photos will be posted as more progress is made.

Happy new year everyone!

Mike

Canopies attached and masked with EZ Masks. PRU Blue sprayed on undersides last night before going to work. Gonna crawl into bed very shortly (worked all night) and hopefully spray the dark grey upper surface colour tonight before going to work so I can mask and spray the dark green on Wednesday. With any luck at all, I could be finished this build by mid next week. If not, very likely on the weekend.

Thanks for checking in.

Mike

Latest update without photos...

Grey applied to topside. Tanks, gear hubs and inner gear doors sprayed with Alclad White Aluminum. Fuel dump and intake and exhaust covers sprayed red. Masking for and painting of dark green will take place tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks for checking in.

Mike

Gonna crawl into bed very shortly (worked all night)

Latest update without photos...

Thank heaven for small mercies - we definitely don't want any photos of you sleeping after working all night! :whistle:

Looks like you're going to beat me to the finish line - not surprising, given this is not your first Sabre...

Looking forward to pictures.

ALF

Thank heaven for small mercies - we definitely don't want any photos of you sleeping after working all night! ;)

Looks like you're going to beat me to the finish line - not surprising, given this is not your first Sabre...

Looking forward to pictures.

ALF

You funny guy... :D

Never say never pal. I could still ****** defeat from the jaws of victory.

The masking has been done and the dark green applied. As I was masking for the green, I noticed that the front end seemed a little light and the balance was off. It then dawned on me that I forgot to glue in some ballast above the intake runner to prevent the dreaded tail dragging. :) Now there's even more reason to use the intake and exhaust covers. Hopefully I'll be able to glue some weight into the intake runner and hide it with the intake cover.

The green will dry over night while I watch Canada win gold ( :lol: ) at the World Junior Hockey Championships. I'll the mask for the anti glare panel, exhaust opening and fibreglass panel on the vertical stab and paint those up tomorrow...hopefully.

Thanks for looking folks and take care,

Mike

I could still ****** defeat from the jaws of victory.

...while I watch Canada win gold ( :worship: ) at the World Junior Hockey Championships.

Can you say foreboding, kids? I knew you could!

:worship:

I watched the whole fall from grace last night, from start to inglorious finish. While I admire the work ethic of the team in getting to the Gold Medal game, somebody should have told them that there were 20 minutes left before they could collect the appropriate colour of medal...

You, however, Mike - I have total confidence in your ability to make this kit turn out well. I laughed at your mention of needing to add weight inside the intake - I found myself doing that on a T-33 in 1/48 several years back. Black plasticene found its way into the nose wheel well, intakes, and even onto the seats of the beast, before it would sit gingerly on its nose wheel.

At least you have an intake cover to hide your mistake - hmmm - I mean your design approach.

ALF

Thanks for the vote of confidence ALF.

It would appear the the Junior team was taking pointers from the Senators. Play well and then leave a turd burger at centre ice. Silver medal is good but they had the gold in their grasp and let it slip away. I really noticed a change in their play when they went up 3-0. They sat back and eased off on the forecheck and backcheck. When the Russians scored their two goals in 11 seconds I knew that was the beginning of the end. Oh well...next year.

I managed to sneak 3 small sinkers in the intake runner. That did the trick. It's heavy enough now to stop it from having droopy bum. I've also got all the painting done and the decals applied. I even oriented the wing roundels properly thanks to some advice from Tony, a.k.a. Snowbird 3a. Thanks Tony!

I've applied Solvaset to all the decals to get them to settle down. They've done so very nicely. I think I'll give it a couple of days before I apply a sealer coat of MM Glosscoat. I'll probably do that Friday. I'm working midnights Wednesday and Thursday. Last time I sealed the decals after using Solvaset, I only waited about 4 hours after applying the Solvaset before applying the Glosscoat. I wonder of the Solvaset might have still been 'working' or was 'reactivated' because it hadn't fully cleared, cured or evaporated. I'm not going to take a chance this time.

I'll see how it turns out over the weekend. If all goes well, I should have her done by Sunday afternoon. As usual, I'll send photos to Bill at CanMilAir first and then post here.

Thanks for looking and I hope to post photos on Sunday.

Mike

Got her finished today. I sprayed two fine, almost invisible, mist coats to seal the decals yesterday afternoon before going to work. The results are great. No wrinkling of the tail stripes this time. I've sent photos to Bill for his perusal so here's a couple of shots of the completed build. There are more photos in the 'Completed Build' thread up top.

First off, here are our two mutts, Shelby (lighter in colour) and Bronson doing what they do best; napping, keeping each other company and ensuring the front door is well guarded.

Mutts2.jpg

Left Side

LeftSide-4.jpg

Cockpit

Cockpit1.jpg

Underside

Underside-1.jpg

With this one done, it's on to the next project (s).

Thanks for looking and please feel free to critique. It's the way I learn.

Mike

SUper work AX!!

I like all the little touches you have made throughout. Like the little red beacon in the cockpit (what did you use for that?) and the home made air scoops, etc.

Lovely finish too

Thanks Em. It's almost if I can do them blindfolded now. I'll be completely lost when I run out of Sabres to build!

RKic - thank you for the kind words. The red beacon is actually supplied, sort of. It's a clear piece that I painted with Tamiya Clear Orange. Instructions called for red but clear orange is more accurate. At least the beacon is that colour in the Sabre 6 in the Aviation Museum here in Ottawa. As for the sugar scoops on the underside, they're from Harold at AMS Resin. They are fantastic. Virtually no clean up and the simply superglue into place. They add a nice touch of realism for the Sabre 5 and Sabre 6.

Shawn - a family portrait only when I have all 12 squadrons represented. I might also wait until I complete a 3 Wing Guynemer Trophy winner, a Skylancer or two and a couple of Cdn based auxilliary squadrons. I also might throw in 'The Wheels' flown by The Smith Brothers as you displayed in these forums a while ago. I met Eric Smith last summer. He lives about 10 minutes from our home. Nice man. We had a good chat about his days as a Sabre flying instructor at Chatham. I asked him if he knew Uncle Guy but he didn't. He was just getting home from his deployment to Korea when Guy was killed.

ALF - they say that pets take on the traits of their owners; lazy, always napping, slightly pudgy, always hungry. I could say that they take after Teri but if she found out, as Russell Peters would say, "Somebody gonna get a hurt real bad!" So I know they are taking after me, without a doubt. Shelby even had a go at one of my models when she was a pup. Chewed the heck out of a Monogram B-26 Invader nose gear. Had to order replacement parts to fix it. Rotten little dog! They know suppertime like clockwork. At 1800 hrs, if we haven't fed them, they'll stand at your feet, look up at you and have the saddest look on their face...like they haven't eaten in days. Thanks for the kind words my friend.

Spit1a - thank you. This is Sabre number ??? for me. I've lost count. As I alluded to, a project I want to complete is to build a Sabre representing all 12 Sqns based in France and Germany in the 50s and 60s. I'm about half way done. Keep up the great work on your build.

Thanks for looking and taking the time to comment my friends

Mike