Man tries to sell F-5B to Iran...

Sounds like a sting operation caught a real dummy to me. NCIS caught somebody else with a similar sting back in 2006 for trying to sell some F-14 avionics on the open market (i.e. Iran) from the Tomcat scrapping line. As for the F-5, I don't know why this bozo would think the Iranians could get anything decent from an F-5B airframe. Granted they still use F-5Bs as trainers, but they likely long ago got all the parts they needed (assuming they aren't already making them at their own aircraft manufacturing plants) as the jets are used only as second line trainers, not front line fighters. I might see it with an F-5E or F (even then, dubious still), but not a B.

Thats nothing, the UK government has just sold a decom'd aircraft carrier to the highest bidder!!!

Wheres that link about the chinese navy getting a floating airport?

Via Budapest in Hungary... ya-huh like thats going to work!!!

Over there its like trying to sweep a ton of elephant sh!t under the carpet a jet like that...

complete yuts and I cant really see it as an attempt to do anything other than spend a long time being some rather large tattoo'd chappys glove puppet.

Here we go again....

The guy 'allegedly' had one F-14 ejectionseat. One. And it doesn't say it was up for sale.

From the story:

"The export of technology to Iran is prohibited so that our innovations cannot be used to harm Americans or our allies."

F-5B, fighter jet emergency manuals, survival radios and anti-gravity suits. All technology or innovations the Iranians already have.

Wake me up if they catch somebody selling F-22 or F-35 technology to the Iranians.

Honestly, from that article all I got was that /maybe/ it might have gone to Iran.

Though I don't see why Iran would bother, when as far as I know they've been manufacturing F-5 parts for ages now...

I don't see what the big deal is. It isn't something the Iranians don't have already. This guy wasn't planning on selling secrets or anything. It is just an old tired jet trainer.

"Homeland Security Investigations will continue to pursue those who are willing to put America's national security at risk," John P. Kelleghan, special agent in charge of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, said in a news release. "The export of technology to Iran is prohibited so that our innovations cannot be used to harm Americans or our allies."

Oh please Mr. Kelleghan explain to me how this guy's selling of an F-5B to Iran would do any of those things. The only way this can harm the US is by eating an otherwise perfectly good missile or JDAM.

Edited by Quailane
I don't see what the big deal is. It isn't something the Iranians don't have already. This guy wasn't planning on selling secrets or anything. It is just an old tired jet trainer.

Oh please Mr. Kelleghan explain to me how this guy's selling of an F-5B to Iran would do any of those things. The only way this can harm the US is by eating an otherwise perfectly good missile or JDAM.

Looks good. It makes Iran look like they are actively luring Americans to sell high tech military gear.

THIS JUST IN! IRAN IS ATTEMPTING TO BUY F-5B TIGER FIGHTER JET AND ADVANCED F-14 EQUIPMENT.

MORE ABOUT THIS ON NEWS 5 AT 5PM.

Ollie_North.jpg

SOOO, not impressed.

One of my friends summed up the Iranian air force "In the end its an air force with aircraft that were modern 35 years ago."

doesn't mean the guy who tried to pull this should not go to prison. But I really am not worried. Only a very stupid person would try to take on the US/NATO with conventional warfare.

Edited by TaiidanTomcat
But I really am not worried. Only a very stupid person would try to take on the US/NATO with conventional warfare.

Or someone who knows they have a chance at winning, like China or Russia, or - defensively - Canada. :pray:

What, you think I'd tell you our secrets? :jaw-dropping:

LOL! I have a contact over there that has been sending me black market snowballs. Going to defeat you imperialists with your own weapons!

Seriously though Canada has nuclear weapons?

Edit: I have been reminded that Nuclear Weapons don't really count as conventional warfare so I guess thats not fair...

Still. We have them.

Edited by TaiidanTomcat