Phil Marchese builds

Phil,

Love your Mariner!

Any more pics available and could you share your ref. materials you used?

It took a lot of research to put this plane in this scheme and configuration. It is one of the first six PBM-3S convered from the PBM.-3C. The -C3 had the pointed rear gunner's position. I scratch built that for my build. Page 19 of Squadron Pubs Golden Wings has a small picture of this plane. I found a bigger one in a Wings/Airpower of some time ago (years). Note the front turret. A later PBM-3S probably early in the next 55 -3C to -3S conversions is on page 22. It has the simplified bow guns associated with the S but basically the same leading edge scheme. It looks to be a stardard tri-color but still within a short period of mine; i.e. before the white /gull gray scheme with type 3 stars.

My plane is convered from a blue-gray scheme with six postion circular stars (type 2) of the -3C having been updated to four position red trimmed (type 3). The upper starboard star is painted out (probably in the darker Non-spec. Dark Sea blue). So is the upper turret patch, This would stand out from a mixed upper surface color. The rear codes and larger bow stars are presumably painted out in intermediate blue of lighter tint than the blue gray. Only a smal portion shows near the open door. The port side is more pronounced. I enjoyed researching this plane, yet it was a huge challange in so much as most Mariner sources conflict on the total (1364 or 1366); the assignment of Bu Nos. and the sequence of props. I suspect my plane is Bu No 6535, but don't expect that to jive with any/many PBM lists. Thanks for asking. I hope this answers your queation. Someone may add the Wings/Airpower reference or picture.

More at http://www.modellversium.de/galerie/artike...mp;fscode=21115 for convienence, but come back here where the forums are GREAT!

Edited by Phil marchese
Thank you!

Its great t see a mariner built. Im going to be building the Mach 2 kit, done in VP44/VP45 colors that my Grandfather flew.

Its tough to find many good detail pics of these aircraft

If you can decribe the VP44/45 schemes and series/ sub-series I'll let you know if I can across any in my research. At one point I had gotten a list of all Mariner RONS

from the Navy archives but I've misplaced.

It is such a pretty design, I m surprised that it hasn't been produced east or west of the Mississippi ( to include the whole transoceanic thing).

good luck, Shawn

VP34(i was wrong above) and VP45 were overall Sea Blue, White "EC" on the tails from what I can find.

This was 1944-1945 when he was flying from Trinidad before he wad discharged due to medical reasons.

I wish he had told me more, but I at least have 2 good stories from him about this big birds.