CF-101 Voodoo 416 squadron

Its time one of the mods began participating in the build.

and I'm just about ready to do so :rolleyes:

I'll be working on the 1/48 Monogram Cf-101 and finishing it in Lynx Squadron markings.

Before I start; a few questions.

1) The decal sheet says to paint the model white. I've heard Canadian voodoos are instead, an off-white "ivory-ish" color.

2) Did the no. 416 Voodoos ever carry any armament?

Work will begin soon

Edited to include Phantom's corrected squadron numbers

Edited by RKic

406 squadron flies CH-124 Sea Kings.

You must have markings for the 416 squadron special. It was all white with black trim. Fancy script and a big Lynx on each side of the airframe. Yep, 416 out of CFB Chatham did indeed carry armaments. Same kind as the US Voodoos did, Genies and Falcons.

Standard marked Voodoos were either unpainted BMF or FS 16515, which is conveniently called Canadian Voodoo grey, available from Model master.

Edited by phantom

416 sqn indeed. Thanks for setting me straight on that.

And yes, the microscale decals I have, are for a black and white machine with the big lynx head on each side. Was that a special set of markings used for one time, or did the aircraft carry them for a while? In other words, should this airplane be built up squeaky clean with no missiles or drop tanks, and no weathering whatsoever?

Should be an exciting build

That was the retirement scheme, there is a famous picture of the 4 special schemed Voodoos flying in formation during thier retirement year, Lynx One of 416 Sqn, LArk (Alouette) One from 425 Sqn, Nighthawk One (?) from 409 Sqn and the all black Electric Voodoo from 414 Sqn.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Canada---Ai...odoo/1327051/L/

There may have been a few painted up in the retiurement after they were retired, but as far as I know, the original 101043 is a gate guard outside of the Atlantic Canada Aviation Museum accross the highway from the Halifax International Airport. They repainted her last srping, looks nice and spiffy now.

Here she is in flight http://www.airliners.net/photo/Canada---Ai...odoo/1327051/L/

And on display http://www.airliners.net/photo/Canada---Ai...odoo/0648028/L/

I built the Lynx One a few years ago using the Revell 1/72 kit and some SS decals, came out really nicely. The kit got destroyed though after getting knocked off a shelf by one of my cats. :rolleyes:

Edited by Charlie Cheetah

The four specials were painted up for the retirement of the Voodoo from the interceptor role in 1984 with the coming of the CF-18 as a replacement. 414 used the Voodoo for the ECM role for a few years after that.

If you want to do a CF-101 with live missiles, you're best to put the AIM-4 Falcons side of the door down to show the Falcons. It would be rare to see the AIR-2 Genie side down while loaded unless they were loading or removing missiles, and would only be exposed in the air if firing the rockets due to the amount of drag they produced. It would have been doubtful if any of the retirement schemes carried live armament.

Cheers,

Sean

You're probably right Sean, but be it as it may, the splash of color from the two red missiles will make the model look pretty attractive I would venture. We'll have to see. I'm still a long ways off from that

Ralph: Before you get too far remember that the only Cdn 101 with the "slime" formation lights was the Black electronic bird. As they are molded on the Mono kit you have some "removing" to do if you want to be accurate. There are also some vents on the upper engine fairing area that need reshaping and check the intake on the lower port side below the cockpit as it differed between the two batches Canada had. The colour birds were from the second batch which were actually older machines than the first, from retired US surplus. If I recall correctly the intake should be a NACA type within the fuselage instead of the "scoop" outside given in the kit. Look at pictures closely. However if this is nitpicking to you just ignore me....

Also Canada found that the most economical configuration (gas supply/drag) was to just carry one drop tank instead of two, which makes for an interesting model. I can't recall which tank (port or star.) was preferred and will be away from the computer for a while but will check and get back to you after Christmas...

Merry Christmas all

Bruce

Edited by RCAFFAN

An NACA intake is an air inlet that is flush with the exterior skin and draws air in via a shaped "depression" in the skin, i.e. there is no external "scoop" to catch the air. The Monogram kit has a scoop on the lower left side of the nose to glue on, this wasn't on 101043 (Lynx One that you're modeling). The depression for the intake part is pretty closely shaped to the NACA intake on the real thing so just leaving the kit part off does the trick. If you're really picky you can reshape it a bit with putty and/or styrene. A Google image search for "NACA intake" should better explain what I'm talking about.

As Bruce mentioned it was more common to see one external tank rather than two when they were carried. A quick look through my pictures shows that it could be mounted on either the right or left side but the right side seems more common, at least in the pictures I have. I have pictures of 101043 in the Lynx scheme carrying a single external tank on the right (starboard) side of the airplane and the tank is finished in overall gloss black to match the rest of the trim. I can't access photobucket from work right now, if I get a chance at lunch I'll try to post a photo.

As Charlie said if you're going to mount Falcons you'll need the AIM-4D's out of a Hasegawa weapons set.

Cheers,

Sean

• 2 weeks later...