I've gotten work underway on my NMF Starfighter. This build will be OOB including the decals.

Sprues are fine but there's bits and pieces of flash, mostly in the worst places - around the control stick for example!

Got the cockpit finished and the fore fuselage halves together, but like a dummy forgot to put weight in there... there's a hole at the back of the assembly, though, so I should be able to get some weight inside there, above the nosegear well. If that doesn't work, then I'll have to make a base - runway, and glue the wheels down...

Pics later - I'm out of batteries.

Some pics, as promised. Got started also on the tip tanks - as you can see on one of them, one of the sprues is very flashy (and not in the good way!). Got some weight into the nose (fishing lead with bathtub silicone). Hopefully it'll be enough... if not, well, then I'll be forced to make a base (end of the runway type of thing, I think). So still much work to do, but I'm off all this week and next, so should be able to get plenty of work done on this (and the Argus and the RA-5C).

5282517910_112340d03c_b.jpg

5282518166_dc43d77ea0_b.jpg

5282518410_dd9a507363_b.jpg

Managed to get work done on this despite last-minute shopping yesterday.

5286215646_ffd3836260_b.jpg

5286215978_0c4fa77170_b.jpg

There's some work I want to do around the joint between the nose half and the after half of the fuselage, especially around the intake cowling on the starboard side. After that, gonna shoot it (and the tip tanks) with gloss black, then we'll see how it looks and what needs done.

While waiting for that to dry I'll either work on the Argus or the RA-5C for the USN GB.

Some minor annoyances, but overall this is a fun build so far (first plane since I finished my HuAF MiG-21 in spring 2009!)

Good point, RKic, thank you for the reminder! I've noted that down on my little List of Things to Do.

As for the speed: my workplace is in the usual winter shutdown, we're starting up again only on January 4th, so I've got plenty of free time for modelling and other such things! (But as quickly as this has been going, that's how slowly the Argus kitbash is going - but that one *is* going, too!)

• 4 weeks later...

Small update - the model is mostly done... only the canopy is left now, needing painting... I've been experimenting with various ways of masking, practicing on random things, the last thing I want to do is kill the build by wrecking the canopy!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

January 26 to May 25... that's how long it took me to actually get the guts to just mask and paint the canopy and finish this build off. It's not great, but it's /done/, and it's /mine/, and I had fun building it, and... actually... I think it looks decent on the shelf from a little distance! :)

100_9837.jpg

100_9838.jpg

100_9839.jpg

100_9840.jpg

I love that colour scheme - and the under-wing tanks. It's rare anyone models that, but I saw lots of these aircraft fly around with the extra tanks installed.

Good work - and the important thing is that you had fun building it!

ALF

Glad you like it! :) Re: the underwing tanks - most of the photos I'd looked at had them there, so there wasn't much to think about - and I think it looks better than if I'd just left the wings empty. I really like this scheme too - the red tail and white wings just look really sharp with the NMF fuselage!