F4U-1 Corsair VF-17 "Big Hog"

Well she's finally done. Built as a Christmas gift for my dad to be given this Friday Christmas Eve. He has this very kit built in his basement which he probably built 25-30 years ago. I'll try n get a pic of the two together as time goes on and it gets over to their house.

Build details:

Old revell kit

-Eduard Photoetch accessories 32 021 (for the Revell kit)

-Unknown resin wheel well set with main gear tires.

-Unknown resin flaps set

-Verlinden cockpit set

-EagleCals EC#20 VF-17 Jolly Rogers decal set

Extensive build thread can be found HERE!

Finally on to the pics...

IMG_0692.jpg

IMG_0695.jpg

IMG_0696.jpg

IMG_0697.jpg

IMG_0698.jpg

IMG_0699.jpg

I didn't really weather it at all as I always have the fear of ruining it and I'm pressed for time. I did a dirty wash in the wheel wells and on the gear and did a subtle black wash coming out of the exhausts to replicate an oil stain. That's about it. I may still chalk a little around the gun ports and magazine chutes but not sure.

THEY ALL LOOK GREAT, but the Corsair brings back alot of childhood memories when Kmart had a huge selection of models. I remember my Grandmother woud take me every friday for a model and I remember seeing the rebox of the Corsair in The Baa Baa Black Sheep Corsair, I scored the Corsair and the Zero and I think it was under $20.00, but that was back in the 70's. Then I got the original boxing "The Sweetheart of Okinawa". Thanks for the trip down memory lane. PS, still miss my Grandma she passed away in 1985, one year before I graduated High School. :)

THEY ALL LOOK GREAT, but the Corsair brings back alot of childhood memories when Kmart had a huge selection of models. I remember my Grandmother woud take me every friday for a model and I remember seeing the rebox of the Corsair in The Baa Baa Black Sheep Corsair, I scored the Corsair and the Zero and I think it was under $20.00, but that was back in the 70's. Then I got the original boxing "The Sweetheart of Okinawa". Thanks for the trip down memory lane. PS, still miss my Grandma she passed away in 1985, one year before I graduated High School. :thumbsup:

No problem on the trip!

Big hug to ya buddy.

Thanks Shawn now finish yours.

OK so I wasn't happy with it clean so I got out the pastels and went crazy. Rubbed chalk onto a piece of sandpaper then dabbed with a dry brush onto the model and brushed off in the direction of airflow. I'm much happier with the appearance now.

Also forgot and added the wing pitot and the wing lights. Still have to add a little paint to the pitot.

IMG_0700.jpg

IMG_0701.jpg

IMG_0702.jpg

Kris